Nowaru

Particle-Drawing Weapon that Attacks the Floor

Hi folks,

I've got a bit of another mystery to solve (if possible), I've been trying to create a more realistic Ion Storm (well actually attempting a whole basic weather system) that rather than being an AI controlled entity (IE it fires at particular targets) it shoots randomly at basically anything, the ground, tiberium, buildings, friendlies, enemies, you name it.

This would be easy if the Storm Attack lightning particles were a projectile as I could just use the <FireWeaponNugget> on the ion storm and it'd spawn the projectiles regardless...

But unfortunately that's not the case, the storm "attack" is just a damage nugget that draws a lightning particle line from the Storm weapon bone to the target location, which means that the storm has to have a target to draw the lightning to.

Annoyingly, if I try and randomise it using a scatter radius etc nothing happens, I hear the lightning attack sound, but no particle draw, nor does it hit anything, presumably because the Storm isn't selecting a target when it uses <FireWeaponNugget>.

Long story short is, I'm wondering if anyone has tried anything like this before; and if they know a workaround to make it randomly attack anything. :3

Being able to achieve this would help me realise my goal of making "true" Ion Storm generators, as I plan to release versions of maps with these generators with randomly generated Ion Storms all over the map. I've figured out how to create these random storms already, but it seems very artificial in how the storms always attack specific things (or don't attack at all when spawned without some kind of AI attached to them). Using <FireWeaponNugget> I saw as a workaround to this.

Any help would be massively appreciated. ;)

5 hours ago, ravage said:

Correct me if I'm wrong: you want a C&C2 like ionstorm?

Yep! :)

Same art style as C&C3, same attack, but made so that it randomly strikes anything, rather than only targetting enemies.

I already have a means of spreading the clouds around the map, its just the natural-like behaviour of the C&C2 Ion Storm that's desired ^_^

Edited by Nowaru

18 hours ago, Nowaru said:

Yep! :)

Same art style as C&C3, same attack, but made so that it randomly strikes anything, rather than only targetting enemies.

I already have a means of spreading the clouds around the map, its just the natural-like behaviour of the C&C2 Ion Storm that's desired ^_^

i made something similar already:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/cc3-tiberium-refined/videos

say if you generate your ionstorm through OCL method, add DestinationPlayer="PlyrCreeps" to it so the  ionstorm will attack all players, like this:

<ObjectCreationList
        id="OCL_TiberiumCrystalIonStormCreation">
        <CreateObject
            Disposition="ON_GROUND_ALIGNED USE_WATER_SURFACE USE_CLIFF"
            Count="1"
DestinationPlayer="PlyrCreeps"
            Options="IGNORE_ALL_OBJECTS">
            <CreateObject>TiberiumCrystalIonStorm</CreateObject>
        </CreateObject>
    </ObjectCreationList>

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ravage said:

i made something similar already:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/cc3-tiberium-refined/videos

say if you generate your ionstorm through OCL method, add DestinationPlayer="PlyrCreeps" to it so the  ionstorm will attack all players, like this:

<ObjectCreationList
        id="OCL_TiberiumCrystalIonStormCreation">
        <CreateObject
            Disposition="ON_GROUND_ALIGNED USE_WATER_SURFACE USE_CLIFF"
            Count="1"
DestinationPlayer="PlyrCreeps"
            Options="IGNORE_ALL_OBJECTS">
            <CreateObject>TiberiumCrystalIonStorm</CreateObject>
        </CreateObject>
    </ObjectCreationList>

Believe it or not, you've actually helped me with another completely-seperate issue here. ^_^

Whilst I still can't create a natural-ish Ion Storm with this, in Kane's Wrath I'd never actually tried PlyrCreeps as destination player because I'd assumed it wasn't working (KW messes with a lot of the player property types); and so I'd used EMOTION_DISSIDENT instead.

Problem with that is any Tiberium Fiends / Visceroids I'd spawned whilst they'd be aggressive to everyone, it would still display on the map as a friendly unit and as far as I know <AnimalAIupdate> doesn't work when its still owned by a player.

So now my Tib fiends / Visceroids are actually roaming around properly and no longer creating map pings when under attack / being visible on the map, which is awesome! :D

But also, with animalAI update working it might actually be possible to have the Ion Storms move around the map, which would be insane lol... I'll see what I can do to get the storms to randomly attack anything though, its still a head scratcher tbh.

Its basically the equivalent of the AI being able to force fire on the ground, though I'm not sure if that's possible tbh. If I figure it out I'll post it here for others to use. ;)

glad to help:D  about " AI being able to force fire on the ground", i guess you will have to make a dummyobject which randomly generate lighting objects around it.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/tiberium-dusk/images/natural-ion-storms-finally#imagebox

I finally got the buggers working, was quite a long process; but it pretty much like above spawns invisible targets, spread out by the mjolnir / orbital strike OCL which have death explosions / FX and armor that's immune to everything except storm_shield damage, which the lightning deals in a second damage nugget.

That way friendly units wont target the "enemy" targets, only the cloud will. Getting the lightning behaviour to work properly was a real pain but its all sorted now.

Thx for the help earlier ravage, that fixed up my neutral AI too lol. ^^

On 28/07/2020 at 9:36 PM, Nowaru said:

But also, with animalAI update working it might actually be possible to have the Ion Storms move around the map, which would be insane lol... I'll see what I can do to get the storms to randomly attack anything though, its still a head scratcher tbh. 

Do the same effects work if using WanderAIUpdate?