Sign in to follow this  
MrFlibble

Future Conflict, an obscure Command & Conquer clone

Recently I found, via the Wayback Machine, this little and apparently highly obscure gem: Future Conflict.

image.png.023d4772824041f1fba782d6ec0c2cc3.png

It's a free (technically shareware) DOS RTS game, lovingly copied almost verbatim from Command & Conquer and Red Alert (and not in the least ashamed of that mind you!) by Chris Jones, better known for being the author of the Adventure Game Studio toolkit. If you look past the "programmer art" level graphics (that aren't very bad, actually), it's a fully-fledged game with a single-player campaign (only one side though), skirmish mode against up to three AI opponents, and functional multiplayer mode. There's even an equivalent of Red Alert's rules.ini.

The author accepted registrations, which would endow the user with a mission builder, a unit editor and a campaign editor (no idea if anyone registered). But otherwise the unregistered game is fully featured and has no limitations. Oh, and it fits on a single 3.5" floppy disk too. It's a bit tricky to get it work with sounds in DOSBox though, but a pre-installed version is available here. Make sure you use the current SVN build of DOSBox, not the latest stable version (0.74-3) from the DOSBox website.

14 hours ago, MrFlibble said:

by Chris Jones, better known for being the author of the Adventure Game Studio toolkit

Wow, did he by any chance intend on making this a free engine project like he did with AGS?

Ah, I gotta try this out :D

On 9/08/2021 at 9:51 AM, Plokite_Wolf said:

Wow, did he by any chance intend on making this a free engine project like he did with AGS?

It's not clear because the game eventually fell into obscurity. I think about trying to contact him and ask, it would be fun to have the source code and the extra mission--building tools.

The game looks like a nice counterpart to Freecraft/Aleona's Tales (you know, I've come to appreciate Aleona's Tales art lately, I just can't run the latest Windows build that comes with Wargus 2.4.x).