Sign in to follow this  
Havoc04

TD error

ok, im not a complete newbie. I set the compatibility to W95 and installed TD. I get the "this is windows version 5.1 blah blah blah." so i installed the .dll that westwood supplies and i ran the game. the screen goes black and a blue box with red words says "PC Display Setting Correct." then it goes black. so i shut off my comp and after it says loading windows xp it says that message agian and turns black.

My comp is fine, i got to safe mode and did a restore point recovery, BUT... TD doesnt work and when i installed the .dll it did the same thing!

HELP PLEASE! I have a Hewlett Packard M90 19 inch desktop, BTW.

Of all the things, I dont think thats ever come up here, unless it was a really long time ago. What OS are you running, and is it fully updated?

ok, maybe i am a newbie. how do i get my OS version :oops: ? And the thing that really makes me mad is I had it installed before and i never needed the .dll and it worked! I can give you more info if you need it. Thanks

OS info can be find by going to my computer > Properties...

You only need the patch if you're running XP.

o thats what i thought. is it this: 55277-OEM-XXXXXXX-XXXXX? I do have xp, and it does need the dll patch

Since your using Windows XP it will be either the Home version or Pro version. Either way you should follow this guide to install and play C&C.

http://www.cncnz.com/features/tech/ccxpfix.shtml

You should also be aware of the fact that this only works for C&C95 (sometimes called C&C Gold). If you trying this the with the old DOS version give up now, it won't work.

i did this and i do have c&c gold. I think i might know what it is: i updated my video card and maybe it doesnt work now. i'll try this.

YESSSSSSS! I FIXED IT> it was my vid card. (i have an old intel one that gave me problems before) Its a Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller. I fixed it with this

Yeah it sucks that XP wont run DOS games. Tie Fighter and X-Wing and Yoda Stories were really fun back in the day.