Sign in to follow this  
BWare

AMD vs Pentium

Okay, now I am in the process of building a new PC... I basically outgrew my old one because it was HP OEM hardware, and I couldn't upgrade my PSU without damaging my motherboard :angry:. My system is very screwed over because of this... I have an nVidia GeForce 6600 GT running off a 150w power supply, with a number of USB powered peripherals :shock:. I obviouly need a new system.

My question is this... which is really the better processor brand to get? AMD is runs cooler and is better for gaming and overclocking, but Pentium is apparently faster. Looking into it, the AMDs run at something like 2.2 GHz, while a comprable P4 will run at 3.2. What's up with that? In building a new system, would I experience a performance hit moving from my P4 3 GHz processor to an AMD 3200? Please only respond if you actually know what you're talking about :wink:

thanks in advance

well, I dont know much, but I favor Pentium over AMD. If you get a good Pentium 4, 3ghz+ pc, then you wont have to worry about overclocking and not being able to play games. Besides, overclocking is bad

AMDs are basically more efficient so a 2500+ will get the same performace running at 1.4Ghz as a P4 running at 2.5Ghz.

IMO there's little difference between the two, a processor is a processor. I'd go for whichever is cheaper; no need to spend more money on a processor than you need to, that way you have more money to spend on important things like Video Cards.

I have an nVidia GeForce 6600 GT running off a 150w power supply

It actually worked :shock: I'm amazed and shocked by that. My 6600 wants a 350w PSU as part of the system requirements for stable operation. I have a 500w PSU now.

Anyway, there is no better brand CPU in my book, its either a matter of personal choice or the cost. Like chickendippers AMD chips are more efficient and they are cheaper, Intel's CPU are overpriced. Why pay so much for an P4 when you cam spend less on an Athlon 64 and get just as good if it better performance.

I'd go for an AMD processor. One of the AMD Athlon 64's would be good a idea. AMD chips do run hotter so investing some good after market cooling is a must. The stock heat sink and fans aren't that good.

The CPU you choose is important yes, but you can't judge the performance by that alone. It depends on what type of motherboard you match with it, the amount of RAM and the speed of hard drives etc....

Go for AMD, some type of Gigabyte or Asus motherboard with an NForce chipset, 1 GB RAM and your Geforce 6600 and you should be happy :)

thanks a lot dudes... I pretty much figured as much, but that is interesting about the slower clock speeds on the AMD. So it's just a matter of efficiency... hmm. I can now rest easy buying a new motherboard/AMD processor combo for my new PC :D Thanks again

The hardest part its ahead of you my friend. Picking a new motheboard. I spent about 2 weeks choosing one last September before making a purchase. I had to take into consideration many things such as....

- Amount of RAM and how much it could support for a future upgrade of the RAM, ending getting aboard that could support 4 GB, not that I'll ever need that much. The 1.5 GB I have know will be enough.

- Price, I wanted to find one with the most features and not blow my budget sky high

- Brand, after all my research I went for a Gigabyte board, nearly got Abit one and I was looking at an ASUS board to.

Yeah, I've been looking at tigerdirect.com... they have really great deals on motherboard/CPU combos. I've heard that ASUS is the best brand when it comes to overclocking. My budget is near 300 USD, so that should be plenty for a new mobo and cpu :)

Motherboard: MSI's latest in the KT series

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3000+

Dual 512 MB RAM sticks (perferrably Kingston) so that your CPU performance won't take a hit

And an Ultra X- Connect 500- Watt PSU

If you don't have the money, opt for a AMD Athlon 64 2400+ and any other less expensive MSI Motherboard.

Personally, I like Pentium, its reliable, doesn't overheat, I've heard great things about the 64 Athlons too. I finished building my PC about a week ago. Its running absoluetly great, and I wanted to OC it, but its running fast as lighting as it.

Abit AS8-V Mobo (4x PCI Slot, AGP 8X/4X, 8 USB ports, and some other goodies I dont use)

OCZ Preformance Series PC3200 DDR RAM, 1 GB ( I didnt want to fork over the money for DDR2)

Intel Pentium 4 Prescott 530J, (runs at 3.0Ghz with hyperthreading)

9800 All In wonder 128MB graphics card (my pride and joy)

Audgiy 2Z sound card

80GB Seagate HD (plan on getting another when my local store has a sale)

System runs great.

So I guess I'd favor Intel, but thats only because I've only used Intel

Anyway, if you guys have seen advertisments of Intel saying "Make sure you play Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault on a PC powered by the Intel P 4 Processor with HT Tech extreme Edition. Otherwise, it just isn't fair." Well, that's a lie. HT only helps you when you're running background apps. while playing. Even so, it may help in games that rely on CPU-based audio processing, thus increasing the speed of your pc, but PC Gamer Magazine says: "In a case like that, though, the boost is typically slight, and there will certainley be plenty of times when an AMD processor will run a given game faster than an Intel processor, despite the fact that AMD dosen't use Intel's HT technology."

Cool cool... but one question though. What AMD processor will give the same/better performance as my current P4 3.0 GHz? My worst nightmare would be to build a whole new system that ends up running slower than the one I replaced! Despite what I've heard, the numbers stamped on the speed of the processors just scare me. I still don't feel comfortable going from 3.0 to 2.2!

AMD Athlon 3000+

I was a bit scared when I first saw Windows saying my CPU speed was 1.4Ghz, but AMD's just do more with each clock cycle.

amd is better if you run stuff such as games ect.. while the p4 is better at running programs :) .. but really... there isnt any reason for you to change a 3.0 to a 3.2.. no matter what brand .. thats a waste of money and resources.. instead you should get a ekstra gb ram block for it or something

I hope im not to late to reach you, but do not buy a new computer now. Wait untill the end of this year/beginning of next year. dual core processors are coming out. if you don't know what that means basically its two processors in one, and if you feel like waiting even longer Intel is going to be releasing a processor based off the Pentium-M, that will blow your mind. http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050525/index.html

Usually Intel lies about the clock speed of their processors... But they're sometimes truthful.

unfounded claim, prove it. and why would they lie about the clock speed of a mobile processor.

You will see a huge preformance in your computer just because you won't be using parts that limit it (crappy RAM, slow hard drives). Heres my suggestions

1gig Corsair XMS TwinX series DDR500 rated (or 550 if you feel like power), when you get the ram drop the latencys down to 2-3-2-6. latency is like the accelerator on a car, the lower the number the quicker the response.

Western Digital SerialATA HD w/ 8mb cache (make you get a mobo with SATA), get two drives one for your OS and one for games/music/what ever/

EMU 0404 Sound card (better than a Audigy, a lot better) http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=EMU%20...sa=N&tab=wf

For the PSU get a Seasonic USA PSU, the S12 series is great and its so freaking quiet, my 600Watt PSU makes all most no noise. and it has active PFC http://silentpcreview.com/article28-page6.html Damn it my Cold cathode fell down again

heat sink Thermalright XP-120 or the XP-90 both great, quiet and a preformer. http://silentpcreview.com/article30-page1.html don't forget arctic silver 5

Parts: www.newegg.com

Wow, thanks for the info dude. I already have a really really nice 480w psu, and I will definitely be using SATA hard drives. Chicken, what did you notice performance-wise when you switched to AMD? Details please- I am still really uneasy about making the switch. Thanks again everyone.

Im going to say this again, because i don't know if i all ready said it. End of this year, early next year there will be dual core processors (2 CPU's, 1 chip) out that will blow your mind and 64bit processors will be more common then (both AMD and Intel have them now though), may be even 64bit games, so don't upgrade untill then.

Hans is right. Buy it next year for a KICK - ASS dream- caliber rig. And if you will have the money, use PCI Express. Trust me. And get an AMD Athlon 64 FX Processor, and I guarantee you, IT WILL KICK ASS SO HARD YOU'LL REALLY SCREAM IT ISN'T NORMAL!!!!!!!!! :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

...I think I'm gonna buy a nice 120 USD motherboard I found online and just use my current P4 3 GHz CPU, and then look into upgrading at the end of the year. That new tech sounds pretty great.....

let me give you some of my experience

Best

Abit/ASUS/DFI Lanparty

Good

Gigabyte/Soyo

Don't touch

ECS

...just bought an ASUS K8N-E Deluxe NVIDIA nForce3 motherboard. Looks nice :)

Everything is colour co-ordinated now. Gone are the days of boring green, yellow or light brown boards and have been replaced by light greens, yellows, blues etc, normally on the same board.

I suspect it has alot to do with the case modding culture that is slowly developing.

...just bought an ASUS K8N-E Deluxe NVIDIA nForce3 motherboard. Looks nice :)

So is this what it looks like?

k8n-e_d_l.jpg

Personally I would have looked at nForce4 chipsets, buts that just me.

My motherboard is rather multi-coloured.....

00035761.jpg

Its a GigaByte GA-7N400-L1, NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400. Not the latest and greatest but I'm happy with it for now.

I did look at nforce4, but as far as options/affordability went, my choice will do what I need it to do for the smallest amount of money. It's an awesome board, from the looks of it