Sign in to follow this  
shawn

tibed not working

some problems with tibed on my computer: a) won`t load anything. tried fixing by: uninstallreinstall of tibed + ra2 + yr + ts + fs + altogether + deleteing all registry entries created or installed with these programs. result: nothing. here`s what and when plus what it might be: it starts off normally. but as soon as you try to load any dta file for any game, when the progress ba reaches 0% a error comes up saying:

TibEd Runtime Error

Runtime error 75: Path/File access error

Error occured in sub: DTAExtract(DefAI.ini,BeforeOpenOutput)

Please report this exact message to TibEd tech support!

Cancel (exit TibEd) or Retry (attempt to continue)?

Retry                      Cancel

click retry and get:

TibEd Runtime Error

Runtime error 52: Bad file name or number

Error occured in sub: DTAExtract(DefAI.ini,AfterOpenOutput)

Please report this exact message to TibEd tech support!

Cancel (exit TibEd) or Retry (attempt to continue)?

Retry                      Cancel

let try retry again:

TibEd

Unable to create file:

DTAExtract of DefAI.ini because it`s read-only!

Please report this exact error message to VDSP Tech support

ok

click ok and:

TibEd Runtime Error

Runtime Error 52: Badfile name or number

Error occured in Sub: DTAExtract(DefAI.ini,AfterAttrCheck)

Please Report thi exact message to TibEd Tech Support!

Cancel (exit TibEd) or retry (attempt to continue)?

Retry                  Cancel

now, to see all the other errors, just change DefAI.ini to DefArt.ini to DefArtFS.pat to InitMainIni(PatchFile) (for only the first error with that last one) to DefBatFS.ini to Firestrm.ini to: well, you get the idea. and if you click retry and ok again and again it gets you to:

TibEd

Run-Time Error '75':

Path/File acces error

ok

then tibed exits. same thing in ra2 dta file, (it`s easy to see i gave you fs errors if you read the ini filenames) exept ra2`s ini names are different. please help me koen! :(

i`m running windows 98. funny (and tragic) thing, it used to work. you see, i`ve used tibed for 2 years now on and off, then i had bought mercinaries: playground of destruction for xbox and only played that for oh... about a month. then i came back to tibed a month ago. it didn`t work. so i just played something else until i came up with an idea for a new side, (i`ve since forgot it) so i went straight to tibed, and i`m greeted with a load of error. i sent it in to tech support, (two weeks ago now) and decided that i would have to use sunedit 2k (which went out of business and made freeware) and ts. did i mention what a pain editing with sunedit is? anyway, after a while, i posted here for help. oh, and with sunedit, the thing hides half of the options! after i finish with sunedit, then i have to go into rules.ini itself, and thats a pain too. oh well, please please please help me!!! :pray:

Okay, this is not a known error (yet) so we'll have to do some digging. Since you've had TibEd installed before, you might now have it installed in two different places?

My suggestion: go your TibEd folder (typically C:Program FilesTibEd). Check if a file called "TIBED.DTA" is there. This is the Tiberian Sun editor. Now, run the TibEd.exe file you find there directly and see if that works.

a) i`ve had it installed in the same place before it didn`t work, and i tryed installing it somewhere else after.

B) it didn`t work.

c) I just remembered something. the first time this error happend, tibed said something like (i`m just interpreting this) the file that holds the information to keep track of the days you`re using tibed lost data or something. then, the timer went to 0. but when i clicked on a game to edit, it went to 99 again, then it crashed. 'note: this may not be what happend. it was a long time ago, and at the time I figured if I left it alone it would be fine.'

d) it dos`nt work with ra2 or yr either.

Does running the EXE file directly from the TibEd folder work? Maybe it's a working directory problem on the shortcut.

Windows 98 does not have all the problems Windows XP can give so I'm really puzzled.

From you first post I see that you know the registry. This may be a long shot, but maybe deleting all TibEd settings in the registry will work (The TibEdDir setting might be wrong). TibEd settings can be found at "HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareVB and VBA Program SettingsVan de Sande ProductionsTibEd". Just be careful not to delete other things there.

nope, registry didn`t work. as a bonus i read where the program thought the dta files where, and it was right. oh, and i`ve been trying running it from the folder, nope.

on a side note, i found that on registry key was telling tibed to look in another folder, but that was just for if you opened a .tib file straight from explorer. nothing else. and after i corrected the entry in question, it didn`t do squat. except now tibed dosn`t say "you do not have the correct dta file for this tibed changes file." by the way keon, can you upload the programs files alone without the installler? it might work.

(p.s., i said without installer because then we will see if it`s the registry or not.)

Looking into the code, I have found the 'problem': It goes wrong when TibEd tries to open a temporary file.

The temporary folder TibEd uses probably does not exist anymore, but there's a settings still pointing to it.

What to check out:

- open a DOS window/command prompt

- type "set"

- you'll now get a list of settings

- look for "TEMP=" and note the folder behind that (or if this setting is not there, let me know!)

- check out that folder: does it exist at all? If not, create it.

This should do the trick.

okay, I checked and a) my computer says TMP=C:WINDOWSTEMP and NOT temp=

B) folder TEMP did not exist, so I created it.

C) afterwards, it did`nt work.

That's an option as well...

Okay if you type "set TEMP=C:WindowsTemp" in the command prompt, it will create the setting. And TibEd will work again.

To fix this permanently, you need to edit "C:Autoexec.bat" and add the line "set TEMP=C:WindowsTemp" to it.

This should solve it.

Oh, bonkers. I should give correct instructions of course!

Typing it in a command prompt might not work because then the setting is not persistent.

I've now actually looked up in Google how changing these things works:

http://www.chem.gla.ac.uk/~louis/software/faq/q1.html. So, you need to do "set TEMP=C:WINDOWSTEMP" according to the Windows 98 instructions.

And it needs a reboot before it'll work.

A) I did as you said.

B) I found out that my dad`s ms hidden files and temp cleaner program was programed to delete the temp folder and I modified it so it would`nt.

C) i rebooted.

D)it works again.

E) :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

F) THANK YOU KOEN!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're welcome :D

The temp cleaner doesn't have to be deactivated, it's just that TibEd couldn't find it's way to the temp folder. Unless that temp cleaner cleans up your settings as well... that'd make it a very bad program!