Sign in to follow this  
Koen

TibEd.net redesign

I'm currently working on a new layout for TibEd.net. It's unfinished, but tell me what you think: (no longer valid)

It's online: http://www.tibed.net/

I reckon you should use a more orignal font..

I'd say Koen is just using using that font for now, I viewed his source and he has different fonts named in the CSS. When you make site layouts you need fill the spaces where content would be with text to see how things look.

Koen, when it comes time to using a good font I would pick Verdana, its the most commonly used font for sites on the net these days. While I was designing the layout for Empire-At-War.com I tried using Arial for the font but it just didn't feel or look right for some reason.

I meant the banner at the top.. That font looks kinda boring...

But that font is annyoing... So is the Latin.. ;) I think its Latin?

Okay I'll change to Verdana. Does anyone have a good font for the header then? The "can you see the future" font is probably Verdana IIRC. But the TibEd.net font could be better, that's true. But it's the best I have on my PC at the moment.

Checkout http://www.dafont.com/en/ for heaps of great fonts.

In fact if you use this link, you can browse all the fonts showing what "TibEd.net" would like it in that particular font. That link will start you off in the Sci-Fi category. There are lots of categories to search through.

Okay, I've picked a new one. Tell me honestly if this is any better at all.

Do you think there is a good amount of sky? Or too much? I could move the navigation bar beneath the "greenish" prototype plan image and make the sky smaller...

Would you let me take a crack at making you something? It wouldn't super-fancy but it will load really fast and look pretty good.

Okay, I guess I am not too good at making headers. Fenring, do you want the sky background?

Preferably the header should be quite wide so it looks good on high resolutions.

I've added a new menu which looks pretty good. Only it needs cookies to maintain its open/close state. Don't like that...

[edit]Sky backgrounds I found here:

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

I used the last one, with some filtering to enhance the colours.

[/edit]

I was thinking more along the lines of making my own header with C&C and Dune stuff in it. Would represent your site a bit more than the sky.

I'll see what I can come up with after work tomorrow.

Very true. It represents the character of the site much more... though the sky and "Can you see the future?" are indirect hints at future C&C games. And maybe other games.

Provocative thought isn't really what a banner is meant for. :haha:

I'll come up with something and if you don't like it, that's cool.

The Tiberium font look cool when used on stuff ( I use it all the time of sigs and such)

dont know where I got it though

The Tiberian Sun True Type Font File is availabe in the CNCNZ.com file section, had for years, http://www.cncnz.com/files/tibsun/media.shtml#tsfont

I'll let Thierry know about this, he is good at making these sorts of things, he made some logos for CNCNZ.com and some large header images for Empire-At-War.com as well. And he made the banner/header for the World Rebellion site. He can came up with something for you to consider I'm sure.

Yep and here is my first attempt :)

Its the same size as your current blue sky banner:

tibedbanner7jm.jpg

Guest Rabbit

Wow... I like that Thierry!

...Man, I wish I had photoshop...

(don't post a link telling me about it... I already know...)

Everybody hit the Refresh button... I've made a different sky background. No text this time, since I'm no good at that.

http://www.freedomstudios.net/temp/tibedm3/

Here's my attempt. I used blue for the banner so it matches the site a little more. If you want anything changed, just say so. I can change it to suit your needs pretty easily.

Just one thing, there's a small glitch in Internet Explorer with a bottom scroller so I may use an @import to fix it for IE.

I also used tables so no XHTML for me. Either way, it would be close enough. :P

Everything works 100% perfectly in FF.

Just one thing, there's a small glitch in Internet Explorer with a bottom scroller so I may use an @import to fix it for IE.

I also used tables so no XHTML for me. Either way, it would be close enough.

Everything works 100% perfectly in FF.

Wow. I didn't understand any of that...

I like your design though... I think there should still be some of a shade of blue somewhere, to put a futuristic detail in it.

I have another question... which menu do you 'like' better: (no longer valid) (this is the Javascript one).

Or (no longer valid) (this is the faster one). On the 2nd one only the links to VPatch, Forums, Downloads work by the way. This 2nd one does not rely on JavaScript and I think it is much better.

Is anyone fond of the dotted line in the first one? Or is the first one much better? Because it is on the kick-out list right now.

I'd go for the second one, load time is very important to prevent people from gettin annoyed and leaving.

Also, narrow the bar, its far to wide for my taste, and in my opinion the bar on top is just to big and demanding, but besides that its fine.

Yes I would go with number 2 as well. They basically function in the same way but speed is what counts.

I've now put in most content. And I have removed all JavaScript from the page. The CNCNZ Network list is also in, and it's really clever in that it downloads the JavaScript from CNCNZ.Com when I build the website, extracts the links and puts it in there, making it appear to be static. Only downside is that it will only update the list when I update my website. But it's automatic besides that :D

So, this is now the dev site: (no longer valid)

Todo list for myself:

- news

- order pages

- find a way to redirect old links

- Buy Now button

- text on the header

- check compliance w/XHTML

Please let me know if you spot any broken links.