Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

All Quiet in the C&C Community | 05/10/2005

Its no secret that things have been a tad slow around the C&C Community over the past few weeks. Most sites have wrapped up all their C&C 10th Anniversary events by now and we have resumed playing the waiting game for news about the next C&C game from EALA. But the question remains, just what type of C&C are we waiting for. Will EA deliver a product worthy of having the C&C name. That unofficial Red Alert 3 announcement is nothing but a distant memory now so who really knows what's happening. Only EALA can tell us. I do see another C&C on the horizon, the problem is I think we are going to be waiting for a long time until we hear anything about it.

Here's something revelant, and of real significan't interest... Myself and Mr_lee_ kinda had a big long moan at Aaron recently about how quiet it's been, and asked him (in desperation) when we will see anything C&C related to benefit the community... His reply has just come in...

Hey King,

Sorry it took me a while to reply. So, I fully understand the cries and pleas 100% but everyone in the community is going to have to be patient still. I cannot directly comment on the C&C franchise, but I can say that we are 100% dedicated to the franchise. I nor anyone at EALA is in a position to talk about what lies ahead for the C&C franchise, but the word franchise has strong meaning around the studio. Now, you guys can all read between the lines and I know you have all been patient.

I wonder how Warcraft fans are feeling, or what about Age of Empires before AOE3 was even announced. The last C&C game was Zero Hour, 2003. Age of Empires 2 came out in 2000! Warcraft 3 came out in 2002. Those studios are taking quite some time between their sequels. It’s been less than 2 years since ZH was officially released. It is not abnormal for major franchises to go in to hibernation for more than a couple of years. BFME and BFME 2 should not be looked at as blows to the C&C community. C&C and BFME do live under the same umbrella of passion and franchise dedication from EA, so anyone who doesn’t think that, I suggest turning that frown upside down. EA is very dedicated to both franchises.

My point is, the C&C community in general is restless and demands high expectations. Hey, cool, we understand, but at the same time, I have a level of confidentiality that I need to abide by with the studio and EA and I simply cannot talk about C&C any further than what I said above.

What I can keep doing is strong community support. I do have plans for the upcoming months, plans that I can’t talk about in depth just yet. I know I know, it’s all confidential right now, but you have my word, patience is a virtue in this industry.

The C&C community, LOTR fans or not, will more than likely be very pleased with BFME 2 as it is gunning for the hardcore taste. I’m looking forward to the reactions.

Chin up man, Petro has that old Westwood spotlight shining on them, but they still need to deliver a good game, so we’ll see how it ends up.

Take what you can from that..

He won't leak this information yet, CnC King. Their schedules for any RA3 (or whatever they are developping, but I still think it is RA3 because Skaggs leaked that in the MEV forums) were made before they know anything about the C&C 10th Anniversary.

The game should be on alpha stages and still not be good enough to be displayed for public. Game development takes time, even with a big team an if we don't want a rushed game like the first release of Generals was, then patience is a virtue, dude.

I've posted a news about it at PPM to expand this discussion. Anyone can reply there including guests...

My point is, the C&C community in general is restless and demands high expectations.

well no sh*t we have high expecations....if EA cant handle the demand of C&C fans, they should give it back to the rightful owners....Westwood made C&C what it is.....EA has f*cked it up..and honestly...rite now...im more interested in Petro and Sega's franchise then RA3

You have to admit, we are a little demanding. But then we do have some right to be since the last CnC game was made for no apparent reason, with no ties to what should have been. And EA has way too much on their hands. How can you buy up all these different names and pledge to make all these games if you don't have enough people/time to do it??? That doesn't make a bit of sense to me. If CnC is really a "Franchise" then how the heck do they own the entire thing???? If it really is, then we should start our own game company and buy into that "Franchise" and just roll out CnC games.

My point is, the C&C community in general is restless and demands high expectations.

well no sh*t we have high expecations....if EA cant handle the demand of C&C fans, they should give it back to the rightful owners....Westwood made C&C what it is.....EA has f*cked it up..and honestly...rite now...im more interested in Petro and Sega's franchise then RA3

Can you please go bash EA in another forum? We've had this discussion more than 15 times in many different topics. Get over it. EA is a company, and they want to make money. End of story. If you have a different, radical approach to the subject, go vent at DGNF.

Not to bash EA, or give my 38 reason list of why I dont like EA, but still...if this is what the general EA staff thinks of us...

I mean we can wait, we can do that, but last I checked, Blizzard from warcraft always kept its community in the loop, and gave plenty of information, and they made a game worthy of the name Warcraft, generals, like we all know, is actually related to C&C by 0%.

Like I said, I wont bash EA, but if they call us restless and high demanding, then thats only because they simply refuse to let us even in on a beep.

When the first RA3 hint leaked, the community was alive again, even though RA3 or any C&C game is not likely in the works.

EA needs to know that waiting is not the problem here, not gettin information or anything is!

You can keep a community waiting, but you can't keep it for dead, the latter being what EA is clinging towards in my opinion.

I'm sure EA has their hands full on things, but we can't just be left in the dark.

If they leave us like this, they should give up the franchise, at least giving us something...

well, we are demanding as a community, but thats because we expect a near constant flow of info, or a more engaging story and game ot keep us going. EA, I htink, is almost too big for its own good. Eventually, they may be soo big as to put off individual franchises ofr year on end ,and that will kill their market.

Thats why petroglyph is staying small. But i m willing to give EA another shot at C&C. Besides, petroglyph has EAW nd the SEGA game ot work on. In reality, it might be even longer wait if Petroglyuph had the C&C franchise

It is my opinion that if EA had finished the storyline first, there would be less hate towards them & they could have xpanded the franchise after that.

But instead they decided to make Generals first & (speculation) possibly finish up the story later, & that has caused a lot of hate & discontent (that + the closure of Westwood.)

Personally I wouldn't have cared as much what they did with the franchise after they finished the storyline (if that was what they did, but they didn't as we all know). Sure I would still care a lot and I wouldn't want the franchise to be messed up & dishonored, but as long as the story was done it wouldn't really matter to me because I would have my precious finished storyline.

i find it humourour that none of the community have really picked at my article, because that was sent to Mister Kaufman aswell...

Anywho, I voiced my opinion 1000% in the article :lol:

Can you please go bash EA in another forum? We've had this discussion more than 15 times in many different topics. Get over it. EA is a company, and they want to make money. End of story. If you have a different, radical approach to the subject, go vent at DGNF.

im not "bashing" EA...if u want bashing...ill give you the link to many of my personal myspace type accounts tht i have for gameing....and u can see bashing....i was mearly stateing my disapproval of the way EA is handleing the game franchise that got me into the gameing world.....if YOU cant handle a few negative words about EA then that your own personal problem....not mine

-Lighter Note- Mr Lee send me the link or PM it to me, to the article....id like to read, PLZ :D:D

-Lighter Note- Mr Lee send me the link or PM it to me, to the article....id like to read, PLZ :D:D

Firstly... here you go -

CLICKY LINKY

Secondly... I think that EA are really in a NO WIN situation with the CnC franchise.

I don't want to get into a slanging match about it all, but I will state that the current thoughts about EA and Generals and the future of CnC are akin to the problems faced by Valve Software with their Counterstrike "franchise"

Change THAT game even slightly and there are hordes of "veterans" compaining that they have ruined the game, saying how it isn't the same as it was back in Beta 4 (or whatever) days. Basically, it seems people are frightened of change. Then it all degenerates down to "Valve Sucks"... which is always a great argument.

If Generals had factions called Allies, Soviets and Terrorists, or NOD, GDI and Scrin, if it had Tesla Tanks etc would it have been to far removed from the CnC Universe? Because as far as I can see, the only thing stopping Generals being a "true" CnC sequel is a storyline.

I have seen people complaining about the use of Dozers in the game. Now, to me this is just a nice example of game evolution. Just think about how Westwood removed the need for concrete bases for buildings between Dune 2 and the original CnC, though I have never seen a "BRING BACK THE CONCRETE!!" post.

Aaron fights in the CnC corner as well as he is able. Look at the announcement regarding WOL and XWIS. People are lamenting the loss of WOL and Renegade players are complaining (with good reason), but it is a step in the right direction. Rather than just shutting WOL down, EA (through Aaron) has done something to perpetuate online gaming for CnC fans.

Anyway. That's all I wanted to say... and what do I know? I'd still love to play Sole Survivor like in the OLD DAYS!!

As to the next CnC/RA game? Well, provided the storyline is apt, then I'd be happy whatever. New Allied/Soviet side against an emergent Japan/China/Asian Alliance?

Hell. I'd even be happy if they released Attack Coptor and Armored Attack as stand alone games :)

..ho hum.. <gets back into box>

Cheers for now

PS - Mighty BOB! Just noticed you had posted about the storyline point too :) Great minds...

I have a feeling that in the grand scheme of things (before Westwood closed), the next C&C game was going to be a Red Alert universe game (to link YR & TD) because it makes more sense to link the two before you make the epic conclusion to the series with Tiberian Twilight.

(& we now know that everything (except Generals) is related from what Adam Isgreen said in his interview.) And on the old Westwood site I remember a poll that said something to the effect of:

"Which would you rather see first:

A. Tiberian Twilight

B Red Alert 3"

& Red Alert 3 outweighed Tiberian Twilight.

The last "official" CnC game was Renegade, based on the Tiberian universe, obviusly that's an important point we all must take in care, it really looks like after Zero Hour EA have decided to really put in cryogenic cell any production of CnC, I suppose as they wanted to create new alternatives of gameplay (BFME, Battlefield) they have stopped any proyect of CnC by the momment, we all usually waits for new CnC game every 2 years or less, that was the westwood's style, the fact is the latest productions of WWS were of not enough quality to stand against Warcraft 3, Age of Empires 2, etc. Generals was a nice game, however, it has lots of advantage thanks to the CnC franquise, otherwise it would have been like Act of War, which isnt remember for anybody today except me :P ...

yeah, that game, where appears those robotic guys and some snipers...

Well, I just hope the next CnC will be more amazing than Starcraft or Counter-Strike.

Zero hour is an expansion pack, not its own game. The last original C&C game was C&C Generals which was released in May/June 2003 I think - about 2 and a half years ago. As much as I enjoy playing Battlefield 2 and as much as I anticipate BFME2, I genuinely just want to play ZH as its a better game period. I really dont think EA have started any work on the next C&C title and I dont expect a release until 2008. I find it a bit lame that BFME franchise receives a full sequel only just over a year after its release whilst Generals only gets 1 expansion pack. This is no doubt due to the massive LOTR fanbase.

BFME 2 will be a great game, but it wont beat ZH as it simply cannot offer the variety in unit types - stealthed units, planes, choppers, tanks etc etc. BFME is based FAR too strongly on seiging bloody bases and its that which worries me. As far as I can see, BFME 2 offers more camping techniques than its predecessor from boiling oil to fire breathing ****ing dragons! The more defence structures you add, the more you encourage camping within strategy. Ive heard defences will cost significant sums of money but I simply do not believe that for a second - EA try to appeal to everyone as opposed to only hardcore competitive players because more people = more profit.

Goblins climbing over walls is an encouraging thought nonetheless and Im pleased to see this feature introduced :D

Well I suppose EA want to exploit LOTR whilst it's still popular. Afterall interest in the franchise will die down now that the films are over and done with.

until they make The Hobit, htat is :wink:

Well, C&C probably wont ever be what it was originally going to be, but thats life. We now move on to bigger nad better things.

of course, will anythign ever be as innovative and C&C was, and still is ?? I seriously doubt it.

And speaking of C&C, now that the server issue will have been fixed.... :twisted::twisted:

the online C&C gaminig community will be making a comeback (i hope)

Of course, will anything ever be as innovative as C&C was, and still is ?? I seriously doubt it.

Forgetting Petroglyph? (& their partnership with SEGA)

[edit] Petroglyph & their brand new sci-fi rts partnership with SEGA, (not EaW [although EaW sould be really good]).[edit]

ah......we will see then

but i dont think EAW will be that innovative. At least not on the scale that C&C was.

but we shall see, we shall see :D:D

but i dont think EAW will be that innovative. At least not on the scale that C&C was.

I guess after 10 years of CnC and CnC "clones" (not forgetting Dune 2) it is hard to come up with something totally original and innovative.

KKND, Starcraft, Dawn of War etc just seem to be variations on a theme.

I'm sure Star Wars aficianados will love EAW come what may.

...and you never know. EA might surprise us all in the coming weeks/months.

(I'm not holding my breath, but you never know :D )

Cheers for now

I wonder how Warcraft fans are feeling, Warcraft 3 came out in 2002. It’s been less than 2 years since ZH was officially released.

Ahh, but thats exactly the source of the frustration in the C&C community - Warcraft may be older, yet only a few hours before I typed this Warcraft fans got another patch - an older game but its still getting superior aftersales support in the form of fixes, improvements and enhanced functionality (as well as map packs) - the fans have a certainty about the franchise and its future which in turn keeps them loyal to it ;)

I'm sure Star Wars aficianados will love EAW come what may.

hehe, yup. Im a diehard SW fan.

althouhg I think EAW is the first "real" time strategy game with space combat. and a fully movable camera.

Correct me if im wrong, but I think i may be right :wink:

Empire-AT-War is actually inspired heavily from my favourite RTS of all time. Imperium Galactica 2... It's the same basic principals and game mechanics where you take over planets rise taxes, get money, spend it, take over more planets build a land base, build tanks and ships, then go blast the hell outta every living thing until you own it all. All this why sending in spies, using diplomacy to turn the battle in your favour, and reseaching some big guns!

The only thing that concerns me is when things come towards the end, Imperium Galactica had a habit of automatic planetary takeovers where one force would be way too powerful to give the other a chance.. It soon ended up being on the starmap taking over each others planets constantly, and the only way to stop it was a head on confrontation of huge proportions, where the strongest fleet won.

Mezon guns, torpedos, lasers, Ion cannons, the whole works would fly in the battle which ensued. The winner of this battle would usually go on to take over the rest of the planets, and win the whole game.. I just hope that since the land battles will be more C&C style orientated where you can still build while being attacked, that this balance will be addressed... if you do get slaughtered, so what, at least you had a chance to defend the planet instead of it being automatically taken over.

But we will see... I can't wait for Empire-At-War, more so than C&C... At least Petroglyph are giving us a taste of what the next few C&C's could of been like with planetary galaxian combat... just look at it that way...

althouhg I think EAW is the first "real" time strategy game with space combat. and a fully movable camera.

Well, it certainly didn't have a movable camera, but there used to be a Red Alert mod that emulated Star Trek space battles...

I'm sure I didn't dream that!!

Can't find any info in my backups though :(

I'll post a screenie just for interest if I find one.

I think it was Galactic Conflict.... but I can't get it to run properly :)

479kb Zip

Cheers for now