Sign in to follow this  
TheBlackOut

AMD or Intel?

Which would you rather OWN, Intel or AMD?  

13 members have voted

1. 1.

• AMD
    • Intel

What brand of CPU do you think you would like to OWN, not the one you have.

My mom is will to pay for the CPU if its a 250-350 dollars area CPU.

Is it obvious? 64-bit is miles ahead of 32-bit... And Intel's chip is like an oven... Burns!

blam you need that water cooled **** like i got..... thing purrs like a kitten Intel can take a lot of crap AMD dont i droped my old AMD down some stairs it just bust.... i kinda did the same to my current Intel...... Well im on here aint i?

blam you need that water cooled s*** like i got..... thing purrs like a kitten Intel can take a lot of crap AMD dont i droped my old AMD down some stairs it just bust.... i kinda did the same to my current Intel...... Well im on here aint i?

The profanity is totally uncalled for, and I'm not sure what exactly you're saying... and I won't even mention the spelling/grammar :roll:

You dropped your AMD down some stairs? Is that what you're saying? I don't think that gives you reason to criticize..... they aren't meant to be treated so poorly :roll:

Depending on what specific processor, this can go both ways. For instance, AMD's Opteron is miles ahead of Intel's Xeon. AMD's Athlon however, is worse than Intel's Pentium 4. While it is true that Intel's chips can withstand more than AMD's that shouldn't really matter. Not many people I know drop chips down the stairs to see if they break.

Overall AMD => Intel

(=> - Greater than or equal to)

AMD. Mainly cause I've always liked AMD processors as opposed to their intel counter parts...

But Intel isn't too bad either. But AMD wins overall.

BWare give the "I'm a holy crusader for grammar and spelling and good posture" a break already. :P

I request a third option added to the poll. Something that goes with my answer :P .

Well I am getting an AMD CPU. My mom hates AMD so much, she will never use my computer.... YES FFS YES! The reason I am getting an AMD is because I asked all my nerdy friends and all the nerds on the nerd sites, so they said and I quote, "OMFG AMD IS sO PwNeDD INtEL AMD iS so l33t!!11"

The sane geeks said, "AMD is the best overall."

Another reason is, the motherboards that like AMD support SLI and like Nvidia. :)

AMD, the best value CPU on the market. I've used AMD in all systems I have had over the years. My next system will once again be AMD based.

As for Intel, over priced!

Seriously? :shock:

I have the 3700 Clawhammer... no complaints here :D

I take it I am getting a good CPU? :)

Um, 1 GHz over 2.8[4?] GHz? Its 300 dollars less, I would rather want the one I chose, since my current processor, that is old, has 1.2 Ghz or something....

I take it I am getting a good CPU? :)

Yes.... yes you are. VERY good CPU :D

The Venice core 4000+ is a rebadged FX-53. They rebadged it when they moved up to the FX-55. A 4200+ would be a rebadged FX-55 at 2.6Ghz. The 4000+ is exactly identical to the FX-53 you'd be getting, except it's cheaper, cooler, and a more advanced core. If you want to waste your money and get a poorer processor, feel free.

The best processors cannot be determined just by looking at the frequency they run on. Cache size is also important. As well as SMP Capabilities, Direct Connect Architecture, Dual-Core technology, High Performance 32-bit and 64-bit computing, HyperTransport or HyperThreading technology, Integrated DDR memory controller, Front Side Bus frequency, and tons of other things. Keep that in mind when choosing a processor.

Having an AMD Athlon, I've never experienced any trouble with it, so I guess I'm going to be sticking with them when I buy my next computer. :D

The best processors cannot be determined just by looking at the frequency they run on. Cache size is also important. As well as SMP Capabilities, Direct Connect Architecture, Dual-Core technology, High Performance 32-bit and 64-bit computing, HyperTransport or HyperThreading technology, Integrated DDR memory controller, Front Side Bus frequency, and tons of other things. Keep that in mind when choosing a processor.

So whats a good cache size? See, my mom won't let me in tech class so I have trouble trying to learn these things. :P

Get a Venice/San Diego core 4000+ rather than the FX-53.

Linky

Ya, that one is great for the price compared to the other, I am getting this one.

I was tired when I was looking for it and I am arrogant when I am tired.

In general with cache, more is better, but more also requires more transistors, more die space, and produces more head. It's usually a tradeoff. AMD processors use less cache because they have a more efficient, lower latency memory subsystem, so a cache miss isn't as expensive. They also have a shorter pipeline, so things like hyperthreading aren't really needed, as hyperthreading is just a way to try to keep the 20+ state pipeline on a P4 filled. Really, each processor branch is optimized for their strengths, and right now AMD seems to be winning. The Pentium M is a very strong contender, but desktop boards for it are hard to find, and they lack a lot of the features that would be useful like SATA and SLI. Another thing that you do want to be sure of is that the motherboard you want to use will support the processor you're getting. If you really have around $600 to spend on a processor I'd suggest finding an Athlon 64 X2 that goes for around that price. You'll probably lose a little bit of performance in games (it'll be slightly lower clocked than the 4000+) but in areas like desktop responsiveness and CPU intense tasks that can be run in parallel (rendering, etc) you will see massive boosts. The only thing with the X2 is that you have to be sure the motherboard supports it or you may have to flash the BIOS when you first get the board to get it working with dual core.

If you're getting a motherboard, make sure that it fits the same form factor as you case. I ordered an EATX motherboard, and my case only supports ATX. So now I have a very big, and expensive paperweight.

I reccommend this motherboard with a couple of these processors. The Tyan motherboard is a EATX mobo, so make sure that you have an EATX case.

Dual Opterons beat dual Xeons any day of the week.

If you're getting a motherboard, make sure that it fits the same form factor as you case. I ordered an EATX motherboard, and my case only supports ATX. So now I have a very big, and expensive paperweight.

I reccommend this motherboard with a couple of these processors. The Tyan motherboard is a EATX mobo, so make sure that you have an EATX case.

Dual Opterons beat dual Xeons any day of the week.

My list, I checked it, and I think all my parts are compatible with each other. :)

• CPU - AMD Athlon 64 4000+ / 1MB Cache / 2000MHz FSB / Socket 939 / San Diego Core / Processor with Fan

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...P1-A64-4000%20E

[*]Motherboard- Abit AN8 SLI NVIDIA Socket 939 ATX Motherboard / Audio / PCI Express / Gigabit LAN / USB 2.0 & Firewire / Serial ATA / RAID

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=1569

[*]RAM - OCZ Premier Dual Channel 1024MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory (2 x 512MB)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=1082

[*]Video Card - PNY GeForce 7800 GTX / 256MB DDR3 / PCI Express / SLI / Dual DVI / VIVO / Video Card

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...=0&NoMapp=0

[*]Case - Black X-Plorer ATX Mid-Tower Case with Clear Side, Fan Controller, Front USB and Firewire Port

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...989&CatId=0

[*]PSU - Diablo / 550-Watt / ATX / Dual 80mm LED Fan / SATA-Ready / 20-Pin / Power Supply

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=1079

[*]Hard Drive - Maxtor / DiamondMax 10 / 300GB / 7200 / 16MB / ATA-133 / EIDE / OEM / Hard Drive

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...p?EdpNo=1487962

[*]CD Drive - Sony 52x CD-ROM / Black / CD Drive

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...76&CatId=86

[*]Floppy Drive: 1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive (Black)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...sp?EdpNo=313606

Anyways, I think RAID is good with motherboards... right? What is RAID?