Sign in to follow this  
Mr_Lee_

Rebuttal to Hypnotist Article

I Split The two Articles to see if people still want to reply to the other. ~ Hypno

Heres the article that REdaSbLood wrote in reply

On October 19, 2005 an article called "C&C- The end of a generation" by The Hypnotist was submitted to CNCNZ.com. It proposed the idea that Command & Conquer is slowly dying out and shall "inevitably" be forgotten. Furthermore, The Hypnotist proceeds to express his opinion about modifications, forums, news sites, and even the gaming hopes and dreams of contemporary C&C fans. The Hypnotist's comments are respectable due to their realism and even boldness. Hypnotist is realistic and cautious in preparing himself for the demise of C&C. Although, he has promoted these ideas into a unnecessarily negative and hindering level while at the same time questioning C&C fan's loyalty and intentions. The aim of this article, however, is not to insult or directly criticize The Hypnotist's ideas, expressions, or hopes. The point of this article is to provide a counter-proclamation to Hypnotist's realistic and innocently expressive pessimism, to declare how Hypnotist may have neglected certain aspects of C&C history. Again, I mean no harm to Hypnotist or his ideas.

The idea that Hypnotist exclaims about fresh ideas for new C&C games is incomplete and vague. First, I must explain the history behind my relationship with C&C. As a great man said once, expect the unexpected, and in the universe of gaming this quote is evidently true. I remember when I first bought Command & Conquer which is now known as C&C Tiberian Dawn, but simply C&C was what it was called before any new games were produced in its universe. It was my first ever computer game and it was in Toys'R'Us where I purchased it. I was browsing among their game selection which back in about 1995-1997 or most probably earlier (I do not recall when it was) was really small and I noticed this box with a man's face who was wearing some type of goggles with images on each side of the goggles. I was curious as usual and checked it out. When I looked at the back of the box (which is now a special technique, however simple, used to know if the C&C game is worthy of my money) I was impressed with the presented screenshots and explanations of gameplay. So, not I but my mother bought it for me by the reason that I was in the 7th grade (currently 19 and an average NYC kid REPPIN QUEENS ITE NO D). Truth be told, I’d estimate that I did not stop playing it daily for possibly a year. It may have even disrupted the beginning of my crucial teenage years. Although after hanging out with my friends, I did not mind being called home by my lovely mother. When I got home I had a wonderfully original and forgivably addictive game.

As the years went on I spread the word about the game and its predecessors to kith and kin. I also started to become a C&C junky! I have come to own C&C Tiberian Dawn, Tiberian Sun with Firestorm, Renegade bought from my cousin, and Generals with Zero Hour (which is borrowed from my cousin whom I put on to the C&C universe and has also gone way beyond me in my endeavors in C&C). Conclusively with these events in my life it is easy to prove that over the years the C&C universe has never stopped being one of the most original game universes known to computer gamers (and even Nintendo 64 and so on). This, finally declared after explaining my C&C history (LOL sorry I got carried away), proves that the makers of C&C games, no matter who it is, has never discontinued originality in the making of these games so far. As Hypnotist stated "ideas are exhausted," I realized that many individuals are ignorant to the fact that even one man's imagination can NEVER be exhausted....or even hindered regardless to the quote "never say never."

Further into Hypnotist's article, he talks about C&C fans seeking "a new game" through modifications. First off, a modification IN MY EYES is not a way to mimic a new game. A modification is a way to twist the game with the maker's hands of imagination. Modifications if you ask me are almost better than the games themselves. Modifications represent how the game has caused a tsunami, not a ripple, in a player's imagination so large that it inspired them to invest time and effort into 'personalizing' a game. According to me, modifications are one of the best bi-products created by games. Yes, they may even be an excursion for a new game, but the origin of a mod is catalyzed by the father game.

Next up on my list of ideas to further contradict in an explanatory manor is the questions that Hypnotist proposed. I will attempt to simply answer Hypnotist's questions. First Hypnotist asks "What if we don't get what we are all hoping for?" My answer to this is based on the last few years of adulthood that say, as someone most definitely said and shall be praised for doing so, "you can't always get what you want" so deal with it and grow up even though it is IN A WAY sad to. Second, I'd like to address Hypnotist's question "What if it is another game we are all disappointed about?" which is completely opinionated even though many have expressed their disappointment in certain games. Hypnotist, a word of advice that I even though young have learned is do not speak for all unless you know it for a fact. He explains how he and "all" were disappointed with Generals and/or Zero Hour. I'd like to argue that I as part of "all" as in C&C fans did like Generals and Zero Hour because in the context of C&C it was original and was a twist to the whole universe in that it was more realistic than fantasy/sci-fi based than any other C&C game. Since Hypnotist said "what if the same happens" addressing the Generals/Zero Hour outcome, I WANT IT TO!

Next on the list of what Hypno said in his essay/article is what he said about "ideas running out, "communities becoming split," and "MEMORIES FORGOTTEN." Addressing ideas running out, I think I did that already. See, now I’m getting more into this whole article thing. I like defending C&C, as any fan would, could, and should if possible. Notions like C&C running out of ideas is like mankind running out of water. I have some questions for the C&C community and 'blafamists'(didn't know what other word to use) about C&C creativity. What if the next C&C game demanded a fan based system to determine which game to be made (RA3 or Tiberian Twilight, me preferring TT) and also recruited C&C players among the status as lion and many famous map-makers and such to determine the nature of the new C&C games??? What if Westwood came back (no matter how ridiculous the idea, now that I’m getting too optimistic but why not)!?!?!? What if they came out with a completely new idea for the C&C universe? I know I was not expecting something in the context of modern warfare such as the Generals universe. Also, Hypno decided to say that "all elements of war" were put into C&C, which is basically the only idea I absolutely disagree with. Elements of war are ever so unknown, respectfully for example 9/11.

C&C communities have not become split, and even though they did doesn't mean they are weaker, less efficient, or less effective. What I’d really like to address is the idea that as Hypno vaguely said "Memories forgotten." I for one will not forget C&C and what its influences have done because it is gaming history, art history if you will (very little exaggeration). C&C has helped create among computer gamers a sense of reliability and even in ways hope. Hypno also says that we will hide the fact that C&C is dying through games such as Empire at War. If anything C&C is being reincarnated through partial originality by EAW because it is based on a genre almost revolutionized by C&C. As previously prescribed by Hypno that mods are a way to create a false sense of a new game, it also lets one assume that mods in the area of total conversions can recreate through new engines and experiences a classic such as Tiberian Dawn or Red Alert.

Finally when Hypno explains that if and when there is a new C&C game it will be the end of the universe. I beg to differ. Once again, as a great man said "when there is a beginning there is an end," and "too much of a good thing is bad." I’d like these quotes to simmer in all of this article's reader's minds. Concluding my remarks on Hypno's article, I will have to say that C&C will not be forgotten in computer gaming based on many facts but mainly that the C&C universe has not just innovated RTS etc. but has created somewhat a subculture (or whatever the word is, I hope you know what I am trying to say) gaming history. C&C and all of its branches and inspired endeavors will not be forgotten because, simply, look at how long it has been going on for. Hypno thank you for making me pursue these concepts and simple-minded hopes. Hmm....

....post this...I think C&C fans need hope...and I HOPE that this article will give it to them!

Guest Rabbit

You know, We'd make a great Article Writing team. I really liked that. :P:thumbsup:

Guest Rabbit

When people don't comment, it means they are either:

• Not interested

[*]Just haven't yet read it

Just wait it out and see.

no prob i jus wana kno how my writin is cuz i havent written since senior year in high school like 2 1/2 years ago

O SNAP i din even kno i gota reBUTTal to ur article...i feel special...thanx hypno...so wut do u tink o my article...u sed u liked it...y??

C&C communities have not become split, and even though they did

You contradicted yourself.

Well lets, see. Pretty good. I know some English teachers would get on to you about format or whatever nonessential details.

Personally I think Generals was an 'ok' game (in & of itself) (3 out of 5 or 5-6 out of 10). It didn't really have the elements of a C&C & therefore IMO I think it doesn't deserve the title of C&C (can you say cash cow?).

I speak of the gameplay (not the balanced well crafted gameplay of the C&C games) the complete lack of FMVs & briefings with live (or even detailed CG) actors. Instead the best we get is cuts to little movie things on the map which themselves are fairly neat, but the point is they are not the C&C style FMVs. (Zero Hour attempted to make up for this with those News broadcast things, but it wasn't much.) It also COMPLETELY lacks a good story (an essential element of a Command & Conquer title). Basically some Red guys & some Blue guys & some Green guys are fighting with each other.

If it had been more well developed & executed I would be ok with it having the title of C&C but as-is I think it does not deserve it.

Just but a few months ago I would have killed for TT, but now that I have matured more & learned more in depth about the plot & hostory of C&C (& especially knowing now that RA2 & YR do indeed fit in the gran series encompassing plot) I believe that a RA3-like game must come out first to link the stories before the grand finale of TT is to take place. Then once the original gran story is complete, I'm more open to new ideas & paths C&C could take (I.e. Generals or something else & beyond.)

Good article.

yea word....i mean i didnt love generals..but jus cuz it wus a CnC game i was happy CnC has SOMETHING new...and that EA had some interest in it, enough to make another CnC game...i agree completely that it lacks story and those lovely CnC vids...that i hated about it....the CnC story is a huge portion of its success...or just its success in recruiting me as a big fan...i like ur signature mighty bob...TS KIKD ASSSSSS....i think the ra's were as original as the CnC regulars...im afraid if they make a RA3 they wont makea TT...which willl get on my nerves because as much as i like the RA 'galaxy' of the CnC universe, the original story line (im talkin bout TD and TS) are my all time fav...but you are right bob i did give too much credit to generals...lol but remember as i think i said somewhere......i was :crazyguy: wen i wrote it (innoculated) if u catch my drift...and no i didnt fart that was my mouse... :wink:.............PS the part where u said i contradicted myself...i think i meant to say IF THEY DID ...i tink

...i tink

Does it hurt? I don't think you mentioned.. that thing.. you said..

Yeah one of my fears is that if they make a RA3 (1. it might suck) & they won't make TT then.

haha yea i do....this alot...and separate my sentences alot. i just got alot to type and dont know how to type it.

well mighty BOB i appreciate that you read my article because noone else bothered to,probably because i am a CNCNZ Forum n00b...but not ina bad way??well w/e i wish more ppl wud jus say SOMETHING about it like hey that made me think.

well its been a while and noone has commented on my article...it wasnt my best work anyways....