Sign in to follow this  
Guest Rabbit

An Ally to EA

Guest Rabbit

Want to read my latest article? Do so here.

I like this...

Tell me, how do you think you'd feel if EALA went out of business, because all of you complain about them? What if you just boycotted all their C&C work? Then would you be happy? No Westwood, no more EA, no more C&C. Period.

In response to that, I wouldn't care. There have been developers in the past that have saved franchises from dying out... sure they may have been under a different name, but the they remained the same.

As many people know I was a big fan of the Imperium Galactica Franchise. Digital Reality had to dump and sell off the source code because it was in big trouble. Hungarian Developer HD Interactive bought the source code for a low price, and finished the game off. Imperium Galactica 3, became Nexus: The Jupiter Incident.

But now HD Interactive have the rights to all the source code and everything else from Imperium Galactica... The only exception is the name, which Digital Reality managed to legally prevent from ever being used.

...i like what you said about the community making assumptions...i think the C&C community is like too nervous about there being a new C&C...they are sooo eager...

as john travolta said in i think it was "SWORDFISH"...."Assumption is the mother of all *uck ups"....true

im not going to declare support for anything yet...but Hypno was right in the conclusion of his article....EA has put out ALOT of good stuff...EA is good at making quality games...

well im too lazy to go into detail so...im just going to agree completly with Hypno.... :wink:

Guest Rabbit

Well, I'm slightly surprized at that :P

Tell me, how do you think you'd feel if EALA went out of business, because all of you complain about them? What if you just boycotted all their C&C work?

I also thought afterwards, what if after we complained so much, they just decided to trash C&C to piss us off?

They should ****ing trash it, or sell it off, any other company would make more use out of it than EA has! :roll:

When you discover how a corporation works and survives in the market you start to understand why people make some decitions some people wont always like, in fact, we have the right to critizice EA, but not to insult them just like many people here do, and just to take the "revolutionary" posture will not make any true good for the community, if I were CEO of EA and knew how most of the people of the community think about my company I simplily had stopped and erase to make a new CnC and let them disappear, no one else want to make a job for a customer who insult your employers and your headstaff.

FINALLY! Someone else who isn't an EA basher. It's about goddamn time someone understood that EA is a business and not our personal C&C factory.

...that is very true. The few people in EA who actually care about the C&C franchise, well, their hands are tied. Insulting the few allies we have does little to help us out....

They're assigned to projects after all. The execs at EA will decide to pursue games based on how much MONEY they will make, and then assign the teams. It's just the way things are... we should really handle it with as much maturity and patience as we can muster.

Tantrums do little to promote our own agenda.

*I'm not calling your article a tantrum King, but I'm addressing the general attitude of the community. Frankly, your article doesn't do too much to help in that regard, and it probably won't do too much to spur EA to action (it may even further alienate them from the community). I guess I just wonder what the point is, besides a fairly shortsighted expression of impatience? I agree and sympathize, but why the hostility? :?

oh well, if C&C is held back it's not my fault :roll:

One man cannot make the difference. At the end of the day I stand by my words. This "attack" as it has become will determine how much EA care about the community as a whole. And I have to say, there isn't much of a community to care about. With the exception of our forums and a small minority of people, the rest of the community appears to me as arrogant, firece and chaotic.

There are certain views that I cannot express here. But that generalisation above of the community is really only the tip of the iceberg.

I doubt people at EALA look at forums and see us bitching and say, "ZOMFG!!!! THEY NEED THIS AND THIS! WE HAVE TO FIX THIS!"

We were bitching for the Zero Hour patch 1.4 sooo long. Personally, I don't hate/like EA, I just like how long it takes them to ****ing make something. They took soo long to make that patch, and Hypno, if you were a Zero Hour player then, you would know. I waited 8 damn months for that, finally the 2nd month after all the bugs were known to everyone, I quit. You couldn't play as GLA anymore because no one trusted you, and GLA was my best team...

But as I say again, I don't think they ****ing care what we think.

I say why hate the corporation itself? All corporations are in it for the money, all of them! They are making enough money with all the other games, they could kill C&C off and it wouldn't make much difference, and thats why I think they might care somewhat about C&C.

I hate that they just take so long to fixed stuff, but I love their games. Just if they had better care for them... I really don't care for the corporation itself, I just play the games, I really don't care much anymore what they do or anything, if they make a good game, I will buy it, if they make a crappy one, I won't.

Hypno, good article.

Guest Rabbit
FINALLY! Someone else who isn't an EA basher. It's about goddamn time someone understood that EA is a business and not our personal C&C factory.

Well, I've been so for quite some time, and I realized you were too, but, I never mentioned it to ya.

oh well, if C&C is held back it's not my fault :roll:

...and if it isn't held back, it won't be your doing either.

My point is more concerned with our relationship with the folks at EA... our new best friends, whether we want them to be or not. Let's not create any needless tension. Let's be frank and honest, but try to keep the hostility to minimum. Your article wasn't excessively hostile, but think of precedent and example... as a leader of the community, you set the tone. Be mindful of that.

One man cannot make the difference. At the end of the day I stand by my words.

Yeah, fair enough. Again I DO agree with you, but am just a bit concerned with the delivery and what it hopes to accomplish.

Plus, one man CAN make a difference. :wink:

And I have to say, there isn't much of a community to care about. With the exception of our forums and a small minority of people, the rest of the community appears to me as arrogant, firece and chaotic.

Hey, come on now. Our forums rock! :P The rest of the community may be for the most part a bunch of idiots, but at the very least we have a solid group of folks here. The glass is half full :wink:

Guest Rabbit

The glass is half full if that's how much you fill it, the glass is half empty when you already drank the first half. - Quote by me.

Anyway, we can improve things and fill the rest of the glass that has already been emptied. We just have to work with EA, not against them.

Actually in a perfect world it is all about us. This is the entertainment industry. It is their job to make games to entertain us, not money for their own pocketbooks. & what entertains this community? Good C&C games. (If the games are good people will buy them & that will provide all the neccessary money to keep going.)

Now that is the perfect world scenario. Of course that isn't the real world. In the real world EA is a corporation that needs to make money to survive. That means unpopular decisions & business management. Sadly that means decisions that affect gamers in negative ways.

Petroglyph on the other hand, being a small company (& especially being almost entirely ex-Westwood gurus), knows it is about the fanbase not the money. If you make good games, they will come, & that will bring the revenue in to keep the company going.

Actually in a perfect world it is all about us. This is the entertainment industry. It is their job to make games to entertain us, not money for their own pocketbooks.

No no no... their number one job IS to make money, and the way they do it is through games that are marketable and appeal to a fan base that's as wide as possible. Their job is NOT to appease the C&C community. Although it would be nice... :wink:

If you want to approach it from an objective view, there isn't a set reason why any company exists, however, in America, Britain, and ex-British Empire countries, the most common reason is to exist for the shareholders (in Europe its for the employees).

Either way though, as consumers we are to assume the company serves us, without us they are nothing, if we don't like what they offer, we don't buy it, now obviously this doesn't exactly happen with the C&C Community, a lot of us voiced our discontent with how the C&C franchise is going (maybe as early as TS) and yet bought the next C&C anyway.

Why? Because the original C&Cs were groundbreaking, they created a strong fan community, addicted to what C&C offered, despite the discontent of some of us, we knew the chances of finding the same RTS game feel in another company were slim to none, the best we could hope for was to make our complaints and that EA would listen to them.

It is coming to the point though, that those of us who have complained, hoping that future C&Cs would offer what we were looking for, are getting fed up, and realising that not only can we not find the original C&C charm in EA anymore, but that EA is beginning to lose foothold in the RTS genre altogether, it disturbs me to think how idiotic they've been in decision making to completely lose their advantage of owning the rights to the most famous RTS franchise ever.

That is very true Waraddict. It's amazing to me as well. Why is EA just sitting on what is arguably the best RTS series of all time? It's a gold mine of a series, really. They are just wasting their time on BfME.... Do they actually plan on doing anything substantial with a movie-based video game? :roll:

Gods teeth, if we'd have gotten my article uploaded when I wanted it uploaded the countermanding argument to this whole stupid EAW BFME2 foolishness would be out of the way and 'controversy' would be nothing more than water under a bridge.

I've really grabbed your goat haven't I? :haha:

Bloody right you have King. I'm being repressed by an article template!

EA: *Employee walks in* Hey lets do something with those C&C ideas! *Boss turns* Well... Okay. *Some other EA bastard runs in the office. He's fat, hungry, out of breathe, horny, and possibly homosexual* ZoMG! New ideaa *singing ideaaa* Battlefield 3! *Boss looks at him* Its brillant! Its so original!

We will have to wait til Battlefield series runs dry. ;)

*Later on...* EA Employee that wanted to work on C&C: Well.... *jumps off building* The end.