Sign in to follow this  
RKCoon

I WANT a Battleship.

This could also be titled as "The Allied Navy, to say nothing of the soviets, SUCK!!"

Seriously tho. I am along time BIG naval buff, alwaysreading and interested in warships. (i was the kind of kid that would build model ships solely for the purpose of floating them in the bathtub. ) When RA1 came around, i was in love with it, solely for that sweeeeeeeet Iowa class battleship, even tho they REALLY downgraded its capabilities for the game (why IS it sucha bitch to target ships with it anyway?!) and i think im not the only one here that would think twice about thier game when they saw an enemy fleet of (improperly named) cruisers bearing down on thier base. when RA2 came along, i had MIGHTILY high hopes, especially when learning that they were gonna have pearl harbor in it.

Imagine my dissapointment with what i got. the crappy and ultimately little of use destroyer, which is merely the coast guard cutter. Effective unit true -- for the coast guard. NOT as a full wartime vessel. the "aircraft carrier" which while ok in concept was not near as effective (IMHO) as the soviet dreadnaught. the dolphin? meh ok i can let that slide. the hovercraft was good -- but where the F*** was the machine guns that you can plainly see on the build icon? next, the only truely DECENT naval unit for the allies, the Aegis, aka the bane of the Kirov. possibly the single most effective unit in the game when it came to airborne threats. but again i asked -- wheres the surfave deck gun that again you can see in the pic???? for that matter, what WAS stopping it from trashing surface threats anyway? oh and ill tap onto the soviet navy (or rather, lack therof) - the dreadnaught, as i said, i can make fairly effective, but too slow, too long to reload and WAY too limited in its capabilities. the flack ship? WTF? whata joke. the ONLY good thing that things for is keeping seals/tanya away from naval approaches, hell it takes a half dozen to effectively stop any air force, and i wont even comment on its LACK of abilities against a kirov. the typhoon? ok, but coulda been better. the octopus? o.O? ahhuh. another "put in to counter the other wierd thing put in" bit.

okok ill stop there and go on to a mod i recently took up -- Overkill. good fun mod overall, and it made the aircraft carrier the truely lethal weapon it deserved to be --- but NO form of direct ship to surface bombardment, the torpedo boat in essense was too limited. the (Ohio class is it?) boomer sub is wicked cool but sucks in that only one can be built.

ANYWAY, after AALL that ranting, i wanna say this -- does anyone know of or have a decent mod that DOES make RA2 nto a lil more of a naval based game? i would worship the ground thier on if they made a mod that had some decent battleships, cruisers, destroyers etc. i mean hell, historically, the americans and british always DID have, in modern history, the best navies feilded, and to be honest, the russians had some pretty decent stuff, when they were having good days anyway.

any thoughts anyone?

Naval combat is a secondary aspect and only present in specialized MP modes and maps. Very few mods expand the naval combat presence since it lacks the same punch that land battles offer and that the AI seems to have a difficult time making effective use of naval combatants.

True, but at least it TRIED, unlike the AI of RA1. still, SOMEone has gotta have a half decent naval mod out there.......

how bout this as soon as i learn how to make a mod... ill make one and a map that is jsut an island with oil things and a place for your command center and all the rest of it will be naval things like you wouldn't believe. you want destroyers, cruisers, anti air subs all the rest youll get it and more... naval superweopons anybody? ooohhh man itd be SWEET to have water based super weapons... maybe a tsunami generater or one of those water twister things... or a hirricane who knows? theres so much you can come up with when it comes to this thing...

oh hey one more thing... instead of even having land... you just have to maps, underwater and above water... with like oil spills or sunken treasure as resuources and just a water everything... like waterworld or something...

You sure you can do all that!?

Let's not go crazy here. Naval expansion is fine but overloading it is not fine.

It's very possible. All it needs is clever manipulation of the terrain itself and the terrain control files.

Let's not go crazy here. Naval expansion is fine but overloading it is not fine.

It's very possible. All it needs is clever manipulation of the terrain itself and the terrain control files.

Come on, dude! Sunken treasure is possible?

yes if you can make a game with nukes and particle cannons what makes you think you can't make sunken treasure?

Come on, dude! Sunken treasure is possible?

Trust me, it is very possible. Not a great idea and it would take an incredibly long time to work out but it's possible. Clever manipulation does wonders.

Now all we gotta do is wait for Red Alert 2: The Clown's Revenge :lol:

I work on a mod, called "Armageddon Level 2"

I've got many Ideas for Units, what Kind of Battleship do you want?

I've got things like a more powerful Dreanought and Destroyers with more performans... such little things

If you want, i try some Kinds of Battleships, tell me what you want and i do it!

how bout this as soon as i learn how to make a mod... (you know the rest)
I have made similar things in my current mod (which is rediculously overkill e.g. swimming dogs). What about a map in the middle of the pacific (little or no land) and have water-based buildings? And only have Seals/Tanyas (like only having cosmonaughts on the moon) for infantry and have Robotanks built at the shipyard and have deep-sea oil drills instead of oil derricks. Have boarding rafts for engineering? Floating Bouy-Pillboxes? MCFVs (Mobile Construction Floating Vehicles)? What about Aircraft Carriers that can have Harriers/Black Eagles dock on them?

naval maps rule but i agree with fen also the ideas are OVERKILL.

Sure you also don't want swimming suicide monkeys with that?

Sure you also don't want swimming suicide monkeys with that?
Actually Suicide Penguins would fit nicely.

Only with a nuclear bomb, a mobile weather control device and a psychic dominator ability. And I actually preferred a mutated flying hippo.

flying hippo? :wtf:

Yeah, I believe it as actually in a game.... Age of Mythology I guess.

I like my floating Drill Tank. It literally drills through enemy walls! DRILLERTANK.JPG

That's one weird cameo...