Sign in to follow this  
shaner686868

Tibed 2 w/ 3a patch problem

Hey guys i have tibed 2 setup with the 3a patch because i have the first decade edition. I created a simple mod for generals (the basics lower cost, more powerr....) and i am able to export it fine to the right folder, then load mod selector and select my mod, which is the only one and start the game. I know the folder is selected right and everything loads up fine. But when i go and load my china mission 7 start to start the mission i get into the gameplay but the mod hasnt done anything. I mean i even tried starting new campaign but stil the same no-mod game play. What am i doing wrong?

This is exactly what's happening to me....everything works fine except fore the most important part: the mod actually changing something!

Possibilities:

- when making changes, you have to restart a mission for them to take effect

- some missions have hardcoded settings in them, which override your settings, but there should only be few of these

- what is your TibEd build number? Please try beta 4 (build 99) because tracking down bugs in beta 3a makes no sense. Or are you using beta 4 already?

- look in a folder called "mods" inside your game folder, and see if there is a BIG file there with your mod ID (the name you gave it on startup). Once you are using beta 4 and still have this problem, please send me the BIG file or TibEd2project file and tell me what you've changed (which file, which object/item). I can then check if the changes are actually in the file.

I have tried everything from totally remaking the changes I made before with the older edition of TibEdit to restarting not only the mission but the whole campaign with no effect. These changes worked before but don't know....when I say before I mean pre-TFD. Could it be that the change file is being put in the wrong place?

Actually, it's the reverse: the changes are in the right place, but Generals Mod Selector looks in the wrong one.

The problem is not with the TibEd 2 project or with the BIG files. The problem occurs most likely with Generals Mod Selector. TibEd has a game folder setting, but Generals Mod Selector as well. Please select "Mod Selector" from the "Mod" menu, and check it's settings. It probably points to a different Generals folder - which does not have your mod, it's in the other Generals folder. Am I correct?

By the way, do you have Generals installed twice now?

I only have one instance of Generals now and the mod selecter seems to see the TFD folder for Generals...I don't see a difference in the directories here. There's a mod folder in Generals TFD that has the modified big file in it so doesn't that mean it's going to the right place?

This is one is not easy. Somehow the game is not using the changes from the BIG file. More possible directions:

- had any other mods installed recently?

- Check inside the Generals for a folder "Data" (which is always there) and see if there is a folder called "INI" in there. And in there, there might be an "Object" folder with a "FactionUnit.ini" file?

Sorry, none of this is the case. It was a fresh install of TFD and there's no other file there that's trying to take presidence from what I see. No renegade INI file.... :(

No renegade INI file.... :(
:rofl:

Hehe... you mean generals INI file don't you... it was funny though :lol:

LOL! No....erm, yes, what was the question? It was generals file that was the question indeed! Smart alec!

I'll follow up on this when I get my new PC, I will be installing The First Decade on a fresh Windows (like you have) and I hope I then get the same problem - so I can fix it.

I hate to say this or wish anything bad to happen with you but I hope that the same things shows up so you can see what's going on. I've really looked everywhere for a solution and tried what I know to see what's going on. I look forward to you enlightening me when you get it. I guess I'll talk to you then.

So.....how's things coming with TFD? It's been a while so I thought I'd just send a little note :roll: Not trying to be pushy or anything :oops:

Well I've installed The First Decade on my new PC. And I'm getting the exact same problem you are getting. Only, I have not yet found what the cause is... I cannot get the game to use my changes... :roll:

Man, that sucks completely. I wonder what on earth the cause of the problem could be. I hate it when there doesn't seem to be a logical solution....I figure it's a matter of time before we figure it out...by we I mean probably you :wink:

My advice for now: with The First Decade, only do Zero Hour.

With http://www.tibed.net/beta/GeneralsModSelector.zip there is a new Generals Mod Selector in there, which no longer has the EXE not found error (e.g. it fixes the game folder detection).

I have not yet found the problem with the Generals version from the pack... yet it works fine with the original Generals...

It's a start my friend. We'll see what happens as we go along. I personally like to make changes not for skirmish but for the missions...fun to mess with those but I'm patient. I know this will get figured out sooner or later.

I've now packaged TibEd 2 beta 4a, which includes several bug fixes (including the game folder detection problem for The First Decade). However, changes from Generals still won't work. But putting out this version with other bugfixes is important as well, and I now list the incompatibility on the front page. I'll try to get into this deeper soon.

Well, this is progress indeed. I look forward to a full solution and wish you the best. Godspeed on finding the solution!

I can't wait to be able to play with Generals TFD and be able to use TibEd to modify it, been using TibEd forever and am surprised it can't do Generals TFD Yet, I thought at first i was doing something wrong. :D

I can't wait to be able to play with Generals TFD and be able to use TibEd to modify it, been using TibEd forever and am surprised it can't do Generals TFD Yet, I thought at first i was doing something wrong. :D

Don't give up hope, it's only a matter of time before this is resolved. Considering that TibEdit 1 deals with all the other games and then TibEdit 2 deals with ZH that's pretty amazing....it won't be long and Generals will be receiving the editing it needs.

Oh i'm not, I wonder if he's looking forward to adapting 2 to work with CNC3. I don't know much about programming and such, but i am sure it's a ton of work. TibEd is the only mod editor i've even found for generals and ZH which shows it must be quite a bit of work.

Oh i'm not, I wonder if he's looking forward to adapting 2 to work with CNC3. I don't know much about programming and such, but i am sure it's a ton of work. TibEd is the only mod editor i've even found for generals and ZH which shows it must be quite a bit of work.
I wondered that too about CNC3 but it's not up for release until 2007. I guess only time will tell.

Yes, time will tell.

Perhaps I'll focus on the user interface for the next TibEd 2 version.