Sign in to follow this  

Over the last week, Ive been kinda bored, and started playing around with modding Red Alert. Im part way through making a TC mod which takes place a few years after TD. Intend on having 5-6 missions each side (GDI and Nod)

Early version of the structures and units Im gonna use -

http://hamrai.tollfreepage.com/heirarchy.png

Youll notice its a mix of TD and early TS weaponry - Im trying to stay as true to the universe timeline as possible.

Im thinking the main theme of the mod is going to be the discovery of Blue Tiberium.

Already got all the vehicles made up, working through the structures now.

Its quite fun modding old games.

I started making a TC like this a while ago. stopped not long after though.

What are you using to mod it?

Both XCC and RAMixer for the files, RA-ED for the missions.

Sounds interesting...e-mail me when you get it done, if you don't mind :wink:

Maybe you could add an early cyborg unit, as prerequisite the temple of nod and the hand of nod.

Impressive start. I've always wondered if someone would make a Tiberian mod for RA1. Keep in mind the game's limits and don't forget audio.

Maybe you could add an early cyborg unit, as prerequisite the temple of nod and the hand of nod.

I do like the sound of that, Ill do some thinking, and see about putting on in, itd certainly be great in some missions.

Might as well do a bit of an update.

i have improved alot of the icons, some came out looking pretty crap ingame.

All of the units structures and weapons (except for the repair bot, i have it, but its graphics are substandard at the moment) have been ported over, almost seamlessly.

the ts units (wolverine, aa/ap/at tower etc) are done and working

One problem I am having is changing the cursor file (want to change the parabomb cursor to nuke, and the nuke to ion cannon), its a .shp but apparently of the dune 2 variety, anyone have any insight?

apart from the units and structures (including icons), ive written 3 gdi missions, and customised the entire sidebar. its looking to be the most ambitious total converstion for ra1 i think.

ill post some screenshots at some stage, hopefully before my leave finishes

Newer icons

Untitled-1.gif

Im still not happy with SAM Site, Mammoth Tank, Light Tank and Engineer icons yet. Any recommendations on other ones that dont look up to scratch?

Also, here is what the sidebar is going to look like, nothing flash, but different.

Note that the logo isnt set yet, and the updown arrows are going to change.

sidebar.gif

Any suggestions on names for the mod?

Wow that attack cycle icon looks cool :D

However, maybe you can make the Harpy look more Nod-ish. And for the name, maybe you can include something like the Brotherhood's Revenge or something?

Need hosting? ;)

This is definitely very promising.

Aside from the obvious, what's the exact premise of the mod?

Harpy icon taken note of, thanks =)

Ill cross the hosting bridge when I get to it, for now Im just happy plodding along, killing time with it.

What do you mean by premise Beowulf?

Its going to mainly be a campaign game - linear ~8 missions each side. Im toying with the idea of having Campaign Mode and Mission Mode - Campaign is linear, or you can play the mission seperatly using the cs/am menu.

Skirmish/Multiplayer will probably be supported, but for balancing, Im probably going to have to make some radical changes - Im considering every one being able to build everything. Maybe different countries in Skirmish have different superweapon or unit? Not sure yet.

Rough storyline is that the 1st Tib War is over, and GDI is cleaning up Nod factions who have been active recently over the discovery of Blue Tiberium near the river Tiber. Most of the activity will take place around the balkans and italy, it seems to be the area where all the interesting C&C stuff happens (Temple of Nod in Sarajevo, whats-his-face the Serbian wolf, Tiber river just over the water in Italy etc). Also, I spent a bit of time in the area, so I have a bit of background knowledge.

betascreen01.jpg

Keep in mind the limits of the engine. Countries can only have modifiers, as far as I know. It's not like RA2 where you can set ownership based upon country. RA still deals in factions, like Tiberian Sun does.

There shouldn't need to be a lot of balancing for multiplay... not to mention you can't since rules is the master file. Everything you put there will affect singleplay and multiplay.

By premise, I meant the basic storyline.

What's with the boxes on the cameos?

EDIT: Corrected a grammar error that made me sound like a moron. >_>

The boxes on the cameos is the 'clock.shp' - the progress bar. It actually looks kinda cool ingame, though it may change.

The rules.ini will just be a guide. For missions that require deviations for the standard rules, ill put the exceptions in the mission file (easy enough to do).

For multiplayer, to get the balancing right, Ill either

1) Make DoubleOwned=true for everything (which is only applicable to multiplayer, and has to be balanced, because everyone has everything),

or

2) Have supported multiplayer maps, which have extra information hardcoded into the maps (will use the scm****.ini format), which will sort out the balancing.

As for getting country specific structures, Im thinking about doing a similar thing. With the supported multiplayer maps, using country specific triggers (building exists -> add special weapon), I can probably have country specific supers.

That being said, I havent tested any multiplayer stuff yet. Itll be interesting to see if triggers work there, I know you can place units and structures in multiplayer, not sure about triggers.

I'd suggest going for overall balance so everything is more fun, instead of being one-sided. I'd really suggest leaving factions as they are for singleplay AND multiplay. It makes for boring games if you have everything so there's no point in really playing seriously.

No one's ever tried triggers in a multiplay map, as far as I know. However, I wouldn't recommend messing about with that too much as it *may* result in bad crashiness.

I'd go the quick route and do an overall balance sweep and leave most aspects as they are. Trying to work in something so advanced on such an old engine usually meets in failure. I am by no means saying don't try but just saying there's a good chance it won't work.

Yeah, Ive gone through and tried the triggers quickly, but alas, no luck whatsoever.

So yeah, factions it is for multiplay units. (any suggestions for names of the countries/subfactions - need 3 for GDI, 2 for Nod.)

I think the way I will do it is to have the rules.ini balanced for multiplay and any singleplayer adjustments will be made in this missions themselves.

I thought triggers wouldn't work. At least it's been confirmed.

Countries? GDI has Europe and Nod has Africa. Pick from there. ;)

Usually, you don't need many singleplayer adjustments except in the cases of Cargo Trucks usually.

Im thinking GDI might have Europe, America and Anzac(:D) & Nod have Africa and MiddleEast.

Singleplayer adjustments wont be too hard, mainly it concerns Radar Dome vs. Allied Tech Center (GDI only has the later, gets GPS uplink for radar. To counter that imblance, Nod has GPS Scrambler[GAP Generator]). Also because Nuke takes over parabomb (cos Ion Cannon takes over Nuke), Ill have to be a clever dicky so that GDI doesnt get nuke.

Anyway, you can see why Im putting off multiplayer for the time being. I imagine my target audience will be after the singleplayer because of the small RA online community.

Calling it Philidelphia project, eh? Looks cool, especially the briefing thingy and that aircraft carrier :wink:

when will it be ready? i would like to try it out