Sign in to follow this  
gammyleg

Ion Storms = Superweapon?

It has been announced a few times that the Ion Storm will probably be player controlled? Any thoughts on that?

Personally, the storms in Red Alert 2 seemed a bit cheesy to me, but I think its a bit different for the Tiberian Universe because of its already unpredicable and unexplained Ion Storms. It wouldnt be that crazy to find out how to manipulate them.

I was always a fan of "let nature take its course" so I never liked the whole "control storms" and crap thing.

Guest MadBadger

well maybe you 'fire' super conductors into the areas you want a strike to occur.... like you click all the spots then the storm attacks them randomly..... which would screw up any hope of hiting moving units but be good Vs buildings.

I wana NUKE!!!! w00t!!! :P

ohh... and drop ships....

Id like to see dropships as well, but theres virtually nil chance of it, seeing as the Philly got shot down.

Yeah, Nukes are sweet, especially on the Sage engine, I imagine the weather effects will be impressive too.

Ions storms in TS didn't really do any real damage. Their only real use was not having to worry about annoying GDI bombers and such. ;)

Drop ships would be cool I suppose. Better shooting them down, with lots of troops inside though... :P

If you are able to control the storms then this will be a weapon for the 3rd side. I doubt GDI would wander away from their Ion cannon, Nod are returning to their nukes, and that only leaves the 3rd side.

But for gods sake Aaron if you come to read this, make sure the team only limit one superweapon of each type to each side, with a long timer (10+ minutes). There's more strategical depth in a game (Especially in Multiplayer) where there's not a huge arms race to see who can build and launch the most superweapons in the shortest amount of time! :wink:

But for gods sake Aaron if you come to read this

Are you making a joke there C&C King, you know Mr Kaufman never visits our forums, probably never checks our site much either :roll:

Then we should make a community wide effort to let EA know what we do not want another generals I.E. arms race.

Then we should make a community wide effort to let EA know what we do not want another generals I.E. arms race.

Go the C&C 3 message boards...

I want an option "No SWS" on multiplayer and skirmish mode, not just a "limit" one.

Yeah more options are cool...

I would kinda like a "slider" option for Super-Weapons... you know from 0 to 1, to 2, to 3 and so on - I guess up to infinity if you had the cash and were bored.

I always enjoyed the ability to limit maps/games to specific weapons, outfits and kit accessories in Rogue Spear Multiplayer games. It was kinda a in-house handicap system for our lan-parties but also for variety we could mess around with messed-up match-ups... if we wanted to just play with c4 or shutguns with rubber bulletes then we could - ok it was dumb but it was our choice.

I always like the mods that present different multiplayer options. For instance, I enjoy the RA2 mods that allow minor super-weapons only and not the nuke's etc... for that increased strategic feel.

I mean, for fun, I would go for a multiplayer "option" of a *really* super-weapon with the truley destructive ability to destroy *everything* in it's radius but with a severly nurfed timer - like 30mins. More pressure to stop the timer... because when that superweapon does go off it really was a game winner.

Well sounds like fun to me, like a Starcraft map with limited resouses!

-gben

i always liked rouge spear multiplayer

No, not like a Starcraft map with limited resources.

Anywho, I always though the TS superweapons were kind of a joke, as far as superweapons go. One for one, they werent very powerful. Now of course, we all know the little Nod trick, charge multi and chemical missile, wait until the toxic waste facility is full, then launch both missiles, 10 seconds later launch the second chemical missile.

From what King has said so far, the Nuclear Fireball (Nod) seems to be pretty powerful, perhaps on a scale of the Chinese Nuke from Generals. But please, have an option for no SWs.

I agree that the game should restrict to one superweapon of each type per side. I wouldnt mind seeing 2 different types of superweapon each side though. Say like for GDI to have their Ion Cannon and another super with quite a longer reload, and less damage, but still good enough that when used in conjunction with the Ion Cannon, can destroy a Conyard or something.

Im sure balancing may throw this out the window, but it kind of reminds me of playing RA1 over modem with my mate where we had modified Rules.ini that gave both sides all equipment. Youd have these big strategies where you would chronoshift in a radar jammer and ion curtain it right besides their sam-sites, then nuke their ConYard and send in jets (free from sam fire) to finish it off.

I like the 2-SW idea. However, I think the Con Yard shouldn't be able to be destroyed by just one side's superweapon(s).

You know, sam sites dont need radar to work. Besides, Sams werent really much of a threat to MiGs anyway. But yes, having Sws like they were in RA2 may work better. Or it may not. Remember, the game does need to retain an apocalyptic atmosphere, not a "fun" one like RA2, and not a false one like Generals.

The SW's in TS were perfect. No timer, though not very powerful.

Thats the thing, I want a SW to create mass-chaos, but to make it fair, the timer has to be long so the enemy can prevent the launch.

I agree that the game should restrict to one superweapon of each type per side. I wouldnt mind seeing 2 different types of superweapon each side though. Say like for GDI to have their Ion Cannon and another super with quite a longer reload, and less damage, but still good enough that when used in conjunction with the Ion Cannon, can destroy a Conyard or something.

Yes, and can that can maybe more of a counter-measure SW. Like if the enemy has broken through the left flank, boom.

Of course the more powerful the SW... the more incentive to counter-attack. Maybe what SW's need are audible countdowns for opposing players... that would really increase the tension!

Do you think some sort of way-point system would work for SW so that you could set up a SW weapon to attack a certain place "as sonn as it was available". One of the things the computer is good at is, using all abilities when the timer is ready... I wonder how much the gameplay would be affected with this sort of auto-destruction-of-the-world?

I too would enjoy a defensive SW, but I guess this will never happen because it just increases the tendency to turtle. Unless you create specific game modes where one team attacks and the other defends for time-limits... it could work.

-gben

or just set the SW option to "off" :P when you want to and to "on" when you are uber pissed and need to blow something up.

or just set the SW option to "off" :P when you want to and to "on" when you are uber pissed and need to blow something up.

Yah, I said that a bit ago, it'd be nice for skirmish and online mode.

Make options like they have in RA2. SW = Yes. SW = No. And SW = limited (ie one per side or something like htat)

does anyone remember the cool looking (and rather insanely powerful) chrono-storm from the first red alert?

one word comes to mind, PWNAGE!

give me an ion storm like that and you will have a satisfied me! :D

does anyone remember the cool looking (and rather insanely powerful) chrono-storm from the first red alert?

one word comes to mind, PWNAGE!

give me an ion storm like that and you will have a satisfied me! :D

Chrono storm was pure pwnage. There wasn't much chance of getting that, though.

You mean the chrono vortex. Anomolies in the Space time continuum caused by Einsteins trip, meant that that the chronosphere generated unstable gateways to parallel universes.

It makes me wonder whether Kane actually used these to get around, and could be the original reason why he appeared immortal. That was before Cabal could clone him.

Gah, I haven't played TS in AGES! I've forgot the whole Cabal story. :(