Sign in to follow this  
Cygnus X-1

China's GPS: Military Threat?

Whens the last time someone gunned down a plane using visual scanning? Especially when they are moving faster than 1100MPH and you are flying fast as well....good luck seeing that. Much less shooting at it.

The F-117 and the B2 also have problems in that side facing radar can pick them up from a similar or same altitude. Not so with the F-22.

Then theres training to consider for the airforce as well.

Look at air combat in Vietnam. The US originally suffered high losses because of their reliance on missile based weapons at the start of the war. The air doctrine at the time beleived that long range missiles would replace cannons yet US pilots continuingly found themselves in dogfights where they lacked to weapons to engage the enemy which is why a vulcan cannon was added to the F-4

Back when most jets could barely get over Mach1.

Look at modern fighters. 10X as manuverable as those used in Vietnam, twice as fast, and modern missile based weapons that can kill targets long before they ever enter visual range. The F-22 and SU-27,30, 35 may all still have cannons, but I garuntee if we were to engauge China in an air war, the cannons would rarely be used.

And remember, real air combat isnt anything like Ace Combat or any other arcade simulators.

well according to the other pilots in my fathers Squadron dogfighting is still a very large part of it

Perhaps....

However, say a squadron of Chinese SU-35's is approaching four F-22's on patrol. Im thinking 4 missiles later, the SU-35's still wont know what hit them (or rather, they will because they cant find them)

Eh well. F-22's still pwn. Besides, they have their cannons, they can dogfight just as well (better more like) than any other craft.) :D

Meh, thats one thing the U.S. has always prided itself on, its airforce.

Everyone else seems to pride us on it as well :D :wink:

The US military prides itself on EVERYTHING it does :wink:

Well of course we do. After all, its our work, so we like it. Thats like painting a masterpiece and hating it. Sure it happens, but lack of selfconfidence makes your worst fears come true.

Guest MadBadger

Ahhh shut up we all know UK army Pwns US army in urban conflicts :P

(also our airforce reguarly drops our bombs in the correct hemisphere ;) )

As for airforces..... China has a larger one no? and don't underestimate your opponents.... look what happened to the The Russian navy in 1905 ;)

(in 1905 the russians got pwned by the inferior japs)

obviously the Japs werent inferior in that conflict.

And that was Russia.

China's army, airforce, and just about everything else is larger than the US's. Ours are better trained and equiped.

The UK Excels at urban fighting, true. The US excels at Urban blowing-everything-off-the-map. :P :wink:

(also our airforce reguarly drops our bombs in the correct hemisphere ;) )
At the risk of pissing the americans off, quoted for truth.

There was a saying in WWII - When the Brits drop bombs, the Germans run, when the Germans drop bombs, the Brits run, when the Yanks drop bombs, everyone runs. Also of note is that the last casualties to 1NZSAS Gp was friendly fire from a USAF plane.

in an interview with one of the Australians who fought in korea he said that a common belief among the troops was that if the British had the technology the American had the war would have ended much sooner.

Probably. But that is to be debated. Besides, British bombers in practice carried more then the US daylight raids (we needed less weigh so we could outrun those pesky German ME-262s) so in effect, per bomber, the brits did more damage. Although I think the daylight "raids" tended to have upwards of 400 Bombers ect.

Even with the British rifles, (i forget where, but its common knowledge) that the best soldiers could get 30 rounds off a minute (single shot bolt action rifles too). Now thats superb training, if you ask me.

Of course, the "lazy" American soldiers just used Thompson Machine Guns and Tommy Guns and just mowed through everything in our way. :D

Guest MadBadger

Another note linking this thread with that odd World Cup one....

England were playing in Cologne (think its spelt like that) And they said somink like....

Its the 2000 birthday of the city this year, there is the cathederal the major landmark and the oldest as the city was virtualy wiped out by british raids in WWII and re-built so Its really only 50 yrs old....

:lol:

Also the Yanks just like shooting everything ;)

Also the Yanks just like shooting everything ;)

actually that is false. Ever heard of the Golden Arch Peace Theory? Any two countries with McDonalds in them have never gone to war.

Guest MadBadger

Okay.... McDonalds is a reason to go to war....

Prob BK thats refering to.... Baps of Peace

Nonono

McDonalds is the reason not to go to war :wink:

Ever heard of the Golden Arch Peace Theory? Any two countries with McDonalds in them have never gone to war.
Id never heard that, but now that I think about it...

Man thats funny.

You just blew my mind Cygnus.

I did?

My History teacher brought that one up a while back. But its true. So far anyways.

I was actually just kidding :wink:

It is somewhat interesting though.

Guest MadBadger
Nonono

McDonalds is the reason not to go to war :wink:

what? because they give you food poisining and rip you off? :P

No, because its a secret CIA conspiracy to take over the world covertly with McDonalds.