TheRoadToDawn

I need to know how to make a units on Tiberian Sun

Now, hell, I know that I'd definitely prefer XCC, but Beowulf, I still must say that hey dude, there's still gonna be people who want the easy way, so, honestly, if you don't want to help, then just let other people help out instead, it's that simple. They didn't ask you specifically, they asked in general. You do honestly kind of look mean just bashing EVERYONE who speaks of TibEd or SunEdit.

I am not the only one who is against TibEd and SunEdit. Far from it, in fact. Take a look throughout the entire modding sector and you'll find that many of the prominent or once prominent modders are totally against it. And what they have to say about it is almost always spot on. We're not mean because we're right.

Honestly, when I was an early "modder", and I just wanted to start simple and make oil derricks give you more cash, I found it easier just to load up TibEd and simply change 1 number, rather than have to extract the rules.ini, go SEARCHING for the oil derrick, change it, save it, and move it back into the folder. Come on, honestly, TibEd and SunEdit were made for THESE reasons exactly. And if you don't like it, well, that's your opinion, but don't go telling everyone who just wants to do things their own way that their way is plain s***.

You have described the exact problem with editors. It takes the thinking out of modding by making it stupidly easy. Using TibEd is plain ****. You're truly a moron if you can't figure what Speed or Strength means.

Now, sure, editing the AI file is a different business, I know, but, hell, when it comes to other small thigns like I just said, you should let them use TibEd. After all, go the tibed.net website. Notice that the CNCNZ.com editing forums are here running FOR tibed. Just let people do their thing, it's fine either way. You can say they are just clicking and editing and that's not true modding, but s*** man, it's not like they're planning on making huge wonderful pieces of work like yours.

And no one will make anything spectacular with TibEd or SunEdit because they're very, very limited and you simply cannot make anything good with either of them. The whole thing about this is that TibEd and SunEdit dumb things down way too far. I'd be okay with either of these editors if they displayed the code and you worked in that instead of using checkboxes and input fields.

No Beowulf, I havent. Im finding it easier to mod the rules ini files. Im just intrested in TibEd because i can edit Dune 2000 with ease.

Good. The rules file is definitely easier.

Oh, and TibEd for Dune2K is fine cause it doesn't have INI files, as far as I know.

Guest Rabbit

Well, hell, what can I say? I'm not going to argue with you, because I know i won't win, just because of who you are.

Lol. I'm forced to agree with Alpha Bear. People who want to make small changes like cash amounts and such don't want to learn how to do all of that in Notepad. They want an easy way so that they can do what they want to do then go and play the game.

Two years later and I have to say the same thing. The INI files are faster and easier to clean out of your directory than TibEd/SunEdit changes. My opinion is, and always will be, SunEdit and TibEd fail hard.

okay. well I sat on the freaking internet all day looking for a guide to add new units with an editor or without and found nothing. so it doesn't matter anyways now does it? and I sure as hell don't want to get help from some guy that makes a huge freaking deal about someone using an editor. what are you? 6? so that means you must have been 4 two years ago. cause I don't think anybody older would care about something that much.

There are plenty of guides if you know where to look. I gave you links in another thread. I suggest you go browse them for a while before saying "there's nothing there."

what are you? 6? so that means you must have been 4 two years ago. cause I don't think anybody older would care about something that much.

Right, shows how much you really know. I am not the only modder who continually speaks out against point and click modding. As a matter of fact, anyone with a modicum of skills denounces editors, especially for something this easy.

Ok, ... I started with tibed, it's easy. Now I'm started to work with the XCC tools (and still trying to figure out how to add new units).

I've to agree with Alpha bear to it's easy to do small changes so, begin with tibed (is free but when time limit is reached you've to wait like 10 sec.).

It's NOT faster/easier to change small things in INI! DO NOT argue, it's TRUE !!!

It's NOT faster/easier to change small things in INI! DO NOT argue, it's TRUE !!!

No, it is faster in the INI files. Your statement is entirely false.

tibed: click and scroll

INI: extract he files, search for the part you need to change

Edited by 0warfighter0

tibed: click and scroll

The exact problem with Tibed.

INI: extract he files, search for the part you need to change

How is that time consuming? This takes, at most, 2 minutes.

tibed way 1 min.

And you learn nothing so if this intrigues you further, you only limit yourself. And, XCC only takes more time if you have to go get the INI files out of the MIX.

And they want to learn how to mod like you because?

And they want to learn how to mod like you because?

Because it's easy. This is far from difficult; and my way is the PROPER way.

and my way is the PROPER way.

Hee hee, ah, I laughed at that one...

Anyway, TibEd is kinda dumb... I stopped using it except for looking up the default settings for units while I was editing them with Wordpad.

I can't really give an opinion on learning off it, I already knew what everything was when I first downloaded it, and did so to make editing easier and faster... but after it started screwing with my codes, I dumped the thing (except for a 'referance guide' as mentioned).