TheRoadToDawn

I need to know how to make a units on Tiberian Sun

I got the XCC Editor, the Voxel Section Editor, the Voxel Viewer, The SHP Builder, the Cube Normalizer, Sun Edit 2k, and Final Sun and I still dont know how to make my own custom units.

Ive been a fan of these games since C&C gold's release and so far the only things ive edited were the ini files and dont understand what the file types are in the game. SunEdit 2k has kept me occupied until now. :?:

*I look at XCC Editor and think :?: *

Can anyone give me a guide, a set of steps on how to do this, or tell me where to start.

Any help would be appreciated.

If you have the XCC Mixer, you don't need SunEdit.

Find the rules.ini file using the Mixer and extract it.

Open it, find a unit you want to copy or use the one best suited to your needs.

Copy and paste it to make a new entry.

Rename the unit's identifier, which is the [TEXT] in the brackets.

Change the Name= line to whatever you want your new name to be and add Image= to use whatever image you want, unless it's custom. If that's the case, you need the art.ini file as well.

After you've made your new entry, edit it suit your needs. If you want a new weapon and warhead, the process is the same. Copy and paste, change the [NAME] and edit to your needs.

After you've edited the stats and weapon, if need be, add it to the one of the lists. The list is dependent on what you copied but this should be self-explanatory.

For art entries, the process is the same. Copy and paste the entry and name [uNIT] exactly as the SHP/VOXEL FILE is. If your SHP is cadre.shp, your entry should use [CADRE] as the header. Edit to suit your needs as usual.

you could do the smart thing and get tib ed its a good program for beginers with a fairly straighht forward interface and easy funtionallity

I know, but its shareware. Im about to go to college so im budget tight. How much is it a month?

Whats wrong with tibed beowulf??? i rekon its a decent program if you have the right pulgins like voxel editor and so forth. so what give or r u just trying to irritate koen

Koen already knows about the dislike of his program. I dislike it because in the version one incarnation it royally ****s the code and your comments, it takes the thinking out of modding and (usually) keeps anyone using from learning a goddamn thing.

i suggest you just use sunedit if your just wanting to change a few units for yourself. Its pretty straight forward.

AGAIN! SunEdit is like TibEd! It takes the thinking out of modding! All SunEdit and TibEd teach you is how to click a CHECKBOX! For the love of Christ, use the INI files and you'll be so much better off.

Guest Rabbit

qft.

I used to be a tibeder. Turns out you can do a lot more with XCC guys. Sure, Koen did good creating the program, but it's best that you go a little more advanced. It's really easy to learn.

Yes i know i use INI files too now. But i still stand by my suggestion if you just want to edit a few units and your new to it just use sunedit. Its good for experimenting with different ideas as you can test them quicker to see if they would be fun to use

>_>

NO! The INI files are the fastest, easiest method for altering units. It's straightforward and should not be at all confusing.

yes but your saying that as someone with experience and knows how it works. I could never understand it but with starting out with sunedit i learnt how things interact. If i didnt start off on sunedit i would have never learnt, but thats just me

I used SunEdit back in the day, before I had RA2. When I bounced back into modding, I used the INI files and did something called LEARNING!

yes but not everyone wants to learn how to be a modder. most people that use sunedit just want to change some things. Besides i learnt in sunedit anyway. After i got used to it i started editing the areas that still need to be edited in the ini like tiberium. That where i learnt by progressing onto more advanced things than what sunedit does.

Why use it? It's a crappy program that takes the thought out of everything. I can't stand that and I hate myself for even using that lame excuse for an editor. If you want to be a modder, even for simple things, you have to use the INI files, otherwise I will not help you.

thats the thing, theres alot of people that would like to make some changes that dont want to be modders. Giving ordinary gamers the ability to make limited changes to units means actual moders need to become more creative and make real changes not just new units which then leads to better mods

If you won't put in the effort, even to do something simple as changing a speed value or strength value, I do not want to help you. I help people actually willing to learn something in the process.

yes well that still isnt any reason to get aggressive when i suggest using sunedit. You were doing exactly the same thing you were criticizing bware for. just because you beleived no one should use sunedit and they should all learn how to be modders doesn't mean that your right. I was only offering an alternative method.

An alternative that is worthless! I am not the only one sick of point and click 'modding.' If you don't have the ability to change a number or two in an INI file, you have no business changing those numbers. It's not that hard to extract the rules file, or even download it if you're just changing something easy. Point is this: these 'tools' are pretty much useless and should be disregarded.

So back 2 my question, trying not 2 be an ass..., does TibEd cost anything? Or is it now freeware?

Guest Rabbit

Now, hell, I know that I'd definitely prefer XCC, but Beowulf, I still must say that hey dude, there's still gonna be people who want the easy way, so, honestly, if you don't want to help, then just let other people help out instead, it's that simple. They didn't ask you specifically, they asked in general. You do honestly kind of look mean just bashing EVERYONE who speaks of TibEd or SunEdit.

Honestly, when I was an early "modder", and I just wanted to start simple and make oil derricks give you more cash, I found it easier just to load up TibEd and simply change 1 number, rather than have to extract the rules.ini, go SEARCHING for the oil derrick, change it, save it, and move it back into the folder. Come on, honestly, TibEd and SunEdit were made for THESE reasons exactly. And if you don't like it, well, that's your opinion, but don't go telling everyone who just wants to do things their own way that their way is plain ****.

Now, sure, editing the AI file is a different business, I know, but, hell, when it comes to other small thigns like I just said, you should let them use TibEd. After all, go the tibed.net website. Notice that the CNCNZ.com editing forums are here running FOR tibed. Just let people do their thing, it's fine either way. You can say they are just clicking and editing and that's not true modding, but **** man, it's not like they're planning on making huge wonderful pieces of work like yours.

No Beowulf, I havent. Im finding it easier to mod the rules ini files. Im just intrested in TibEd because i can edit Dune 2000 with ease.