Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

AMD and ATI Join Forces

Planning to upgrade for C&C3, what hardware will be inside your next PC? In a merger of the acronyms, CPU giant AMD and graphics card maker ATI are set to join forces in one of the biggest hardware manufacturer deals ever made. In terms of worldwide sales, both companies are currently second in their respective primary fields behind leaders Intel and NVIDIA, but have been steadily closing the gap over recent years. Effects of the deal are not expected to be seen until 2007, but the ongoing hardware battle will be very interesting to follow over the next few years.

Hopefully it will mean a wee bit of price lowering, so some of us can actually afford to build comps :wink:

Yeah... I mean, lower prices are generally what we see when monopolies emerge, right? :haha:

:D

cant hurt to hope, no? Besides, Intel and NVidia are still out there, so slightly lower prices would help sales (in theory) and the merger should help production, although like Sonic said, we wont see much of a diff until 2007

I now see nVidia and Intel going to work very close to each other.

Doesn't make much difference to me, in all my computers over the years (all 3 of them to be exact) I've used a combination of an AMD CPU and nVidia GPU. My next system will be based on that again.

GPU is not a typo, it stands for Graphics Processing Unit. You do know that nVidia make the chips not the actual video cards right?

imo, nvidia won't be around in 5-10 years, with the birth of 4 cores (kentsfield - intel and K8L - AMD's thunderchild quad core) we will see alot of graphics tasks going on the cpu, as the number of cores increases extremely quicky (intel aims for 24 cores or something like that by 2010, so id expect to see 16 or so), core 2 realeased yesterday, AMD's 65nm in decq1 2007, R600 and G80 coming soon, and Crysis and UT2007 :D, this is propably one of the best years in the computer hardware business ever for us consumers, amd managed to slap intel right in the face, and now massive innavation has started like we have never seen before, cant wait till 2007 Q3, that quarter will be crazy

Doesn't make much difference to me, in all my computers over the years (all 3 of them to be exact) I've used a combination of an AMD CPU and nVidia GPU. My next system will be based on that again.

Why? I can see nVidia but why AMD? Intel's Core Duo 2 (Conroe) slaps AMD.

imo, nvidia won't be around in 5-10 years, with the birth of 4 cores (kentsfield - intel and K8L - AMD's thunderchild quad core) we will see alot of graphics tasks going on the cpu, as the number of cores increases extremely quicky (intel aims for 24 cores or something like that by 2010, so id expect to see 16 or so), core 2 realeased yesterday, AMD's 65nm in decq1 2007, R600 and G80 coming soon, and Crysis and UT2007 :D, this is propably one of the best years in the computer hardware business ever for us consumers, amd managed to slap intel right in the face, and now massive innavation has started like we have never seen before, cant wait till 2007 Q3, that quarter will be crazy

I very much doubt that. They created the GPU for a reason, to take a load off of the CPU. Even more cores... I doubt 24 by 2010. Even if they do reach that, I doubt that will mean the end of the GPU.

Why? I can see nVidia but why AMD? Intel's Core Duo 2 (Conroe) slaps AMD.

AMD is cheaper, Intel is over priced. Well here in NZ anyway.

And Intel = fail, except for this new thing.

More cores just means a more poerful GPU for the future. Maybe someone will invent holograms by then :D

conroe chips are faster, but alot of amd's chips havce been prioced so that the price/performance is better than that of intel's so far, amd have the 3800+ x2, 4200+ x2, 4400+ x2, 4600+ x2, 4800 x2 and 5000 x2 beating the curve.

And yes, a GPU was made for a reason, and that reason will soon no longer exist, more things will become cpu bound, just a question , by 2010, with your 24 core cpu and 16gb xdr 4000mhz ram, do you honestly think you will need a gpu?

By no means will the gpu be dead by 2010, but it will have pretty much gone out of fashion, no matter how demanding games get, there is nothing that will saturate 24 cores, regardless of maker

oh and on a side note, i just realised that amd is selling intel motherboards :|

AMD? Selling Intel hardware?

A stange world we live in indeed.

By no means will the gpu be dead by 2010, but it will have pretty much gone out of fashion, no matter how demanding games get, there is nothing that will saturate 24 cores, regardless of maker

Thats purely bull****. Sorry, but it is.

That would be bad for the makers too. If nothing could beat 24 cores, why would people want to upgrade to the 26 core? I mean it can run everything to come. Why bother? So they'd be losing money after a bit, and thats bad.

I'm saying the GPU will be here along with the CPU till we die. :)

Have any of you heard of the new "chaos ocmputing" technology that's being developed? It will make ALL traditional chips obsolete eventually.

And then what comes after that? There is *always* going to be something new that is coming at some time in the future that will beat the hell out of the current technology.

Unfortunately we can't stick around waiting for it to come :(

In other news - if anyone in Australia wants a cheap DELL computer, check this out:

http://www.microsoft.com/australia/teched2006/delloffer.aspx

It's not to bad a deal (it's a couple of hundred less than the retail).

Have any of you heard of the new "chaos ocmputing" technology that's being developed? It will make ALL traditional chips obsolete eventually.

I have heard of it, but I have virtually no idea how its supposed to work.

The idea, very basically, is that a single computing processor block will do everything- that it can shift from cpu to gpu to sound processor- whatever is needed- at will by applying a different voltage to each transistor. I think that's basically how it's supposed to work...

So basically, if something goes wrong, the entire thing is up crap creek.

That's one way to look at it. OR you could see that there won't be anymore bottlenecking with different parts. I'm really annoyed now with my gaming rig and its CPU bottleneck. My insane graphics card is on a short leash because of my lackluster AMD Athlon 64 4000. I have it overclocked up to 8 percent (can push it to 10, but it gets freaky on me), but it's still a huge hindrance to the system overall. With chaos computing, that will be a thing of the past. Oh, and if one part goes down in a system now, you STILL lose everything :wink:

That's one way to look at it. OR you could see that there won't be anymore bottlenecking with different parts. I'm really annoyed now with my gaming rig and its CPU bottleneck. My insane graphics card is on a short leash because of my lackluster AMD Athlon 64 4000. I have it overclocked up to 8 percent (can push it to 10, but it gets freaky on me), but it's still a huge hindrance to the system overall. With chaos computing, that will be a thing of the past. Oh, and if one part goes down in a system now, you STILL lose everything :wink:

good point :P

The end of Gpu´s will never be seen.

If you add your gpu to the cpu, it means you get at least 3 processors of the same level (IE Athlon 4800* with an Ati Radeon 1900xt, 1800xt, 1600xt).

And if you want to upgrade your system you would have to buy another processor too, that would be too expensive for most casual gamers or computer users, so the sales would drop, and companies would see the end of their days.

It´s the dumbest thing I´ve ever heard, and it´ll never happen.

trust me on that

The end of Gpu´s will never be seen.

Clearly you have no long-term understanding of how technology changes and develops. Considering how fast and dynamic the industry has become, and so EARLY in its life (technologically speaking), only a moron would say anything with 100 percent certainty about the future of a certain tech.

trust me on that

WHY? :lol:

It will happen, but it will take years before this or some sort of new technology catches on.