Sign in to follow this  
Saracen

New Article: Fighting In No Mans Land

Here it is, in my usual "Blog" style, my 6th article of 2006. This one is named Fighting In No Mans Land. In a nutshell, it's about RTS game mechanics. Furthermore there's the focus on one particular style of RTS gaming that I have found a niche with in what seems a dilapidated genre. Here's a snippet:

.......Because I'm a strong believer in the notion that if you want to expand, if you want to build a forward base, you better damn well earn that right by capturing and fighting for that position before you can exploit the freedom to build there.

No controversy cards in this one I'm afraid. It's Christmas after all. But don't threat, there's plans for plenty more articles in 2007!

i agree that there is a need of a population cap, i play rise of nations online, and i lose a lot but i don't care i had fun. i hate playing generals because if i lose i uninstall the game because the *****-*-*-* i fraught was just one big toss. online gaming has lost the fun appeal to it. i see that new inviable wall thing for C&C3 is going to be abused from the start. and it EA put online unlock ables in this game i am going to be pissed.

oh that was a dam good article. we need to send it to EA.

Its a good article King. I was just wondering, what is your opinion on the territories used in empire earth 2?

I agree with most but population cap is a no no in my book. You're talking about realism in your article and thats all fine and dandy, but really if an army had the money to spend, you think they're gonna buy some? Hell ya! There's not going to be a "limit".

Maybe in other games a pop cap seems resonable but a hell no in the C&C series. maybe add a feature online where they can have a pop cap. Or maybe a military pop cap that only applies to military units. OR! limit the number of the types of units. RA2... All it is was either mass prism tanks or w/e. Limit 20 prism tanks in a game and there ya go!

I still will NEVER support pop caps in C&C. EVER EVER EVER. Thats one of the main reasons I didn't get sucked into AoE. I would get an army in that game but I always wanted to maybe have an artillery force behind my main force, but nooooo, the pop cap! I am an economy builder type of guy so like 1/4 of my pop cap was citizens.

Surpisingly I've played over 400 games in ZH and not many were massing.

Now I am thinking... I think the pop cap on type of units would be cool... Still, only in multiplayer if it were ever to come to C&C and they'd have to make it optional.

Other than that nice article. :)

Guest Rabbit

In all honesty I believe the MCV system makes it realistic in the fact that the base is started with one main building, and then it expands like a typical city, or something along the lines of that.

Now, my personal idea for a peon system is to make it to where it would be realistic, and you could still use a typical tractor or something.

What I would like, is if it could use the typical worker or tractor or something like that to build, however, it would be realistic if it had to have some way of actually bringing supplies over to the build point, maybe some kind of supply truck that deploys too, and that truck has to refill at a main base. This would create realism, it would basically be an mcv that can travel anywhere and build for a low price, but it must refill any time it builds a certain amount of units, so it doesn't literally pull supplies out of thin air.l

Firstly, can I say that I found that particular blog, incredibly difficult just to read! Can we at least try to have some line breaks, columns, paragraphs in future???

Anyhoo... All good stories need a point of tension. So I second the motion.

If you don't have a reason to intermingle, and there's no risk to the endeavour... well the game can quickly get stale. We need the creative spark from developers in the point of tension...

I like pop caps generally speaking... it creates artifical tension through limitation of unit numbers. I think EAW's pop cap works better than Starcrafts... because really SC just limits massing (to a degree) where EAW really forces pre-meditation in unit selections.

... but RA2 is still my favourite multiplayer game from C&C genre. Go figure!

-gben

Firstly, can I say that I found that particular blog, incredibly difficult just to read! Can we at least try to have some line breaks, columns, paragraphs in future???

Thats what I thought too.. But I thought mainly the color on the background looked bad.

Eh? I've paragraphed it and everything....

*checks*

Fine here... Are you sure you didn't read it when Sonic was changing the layout of how articles are displayed?

*Checks In IE7*

Ahh there's your problem... my coding is fine for line breaks, but IE7 sucks for code interpretation.. Try it in Firefox, you'll notice the difference.

Firefox will read my <br><br> tags as a paragraph spacing. But IE7 doesn't do that, it reads it as a singular line break. To see a paragraph break in IE7, it wants to read the <p> tag. But I, nor Sonic use these in our coding.

I'll raise this with Sonic to see if we can find a way around it.

Sorry about that, I've made some corrections to the coding. All articles using the new style template (thats all 2006 articles) are now displaying perfectly fine in both Firefox and IE7, paragraphs and all ;)

Aah... thanks that's much better.

(I keep forgetting that you guys use firefox, and by default I'm using IE7. I'll try and remember that in future.)

-gben