Are you getting Vista?

Are you?  

11 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes but later...
    • Yes right now!
    • Nevar!!
    • What is this Vista you speak of?

It launches like today or tomorrow something like that. The Operating System to crush them all...

I also like the new XAML mark-up language that comes with Vista. Designed to replace HTML, with an interesting aside, the language is dependent on Vista. And is not cross compatible at all... So you can see what that could mean if it ever got popular... :|

Regardless are you getting Vista?

Probably later. I dont see any reason why i need it now, unless its necessary for something.

Guest Rabbit

I'll torrent the released version, and if I like it, I'll actually buy the full product.

I'll torrent the released version, and if I like it, I'll actually buy the full product.

lol.. Yes I'm sure you're get around to buying it afterwards... :P

Once I get a better machine, yes. Now, no. Vista is a memory hog and I "only" have 1GB. Also with dual core dual processors, Vista will still lag, as they're low frequency.

Some of the guys over at Petroglyph tried the Beta version. Even then they found that their dual core machines ran on average 33% slower than using XP. Within a matter of a day, they all uninstalled it.

If Vista has the reception from many other users, I can start to see Linux gain more momentum. Problem is, to a regular PC user, the choice of versions is overwhelming and that does put some people off. Even to someone like me who knows alot about PCs in general, the idea of wanting a dual boot of Linux and XP is bloody daunting.

I'd love to use Linux and Linux only. Providing there's a decent version of WINE on it to run my windows games and apps, I'd be dead happy. And I wouldn't mind paying good money for SuSe or Redhat if the free version of OpenSuSe aren't much to write home about for example.

I think the biggest problem was a few years ago... well 2001 actually. I was trying to install a dual boot of Windows ME and Redhat on my friends comp. But instead the automatic install partitioned his hard disk. Obviously it wiped everything he had and after 20 minutes he had a fresh copy of Redhat, but nothing on the hard disk to use. That's why I'm kinda Skeptical.

Well soon enough I'll be getting a new rig. For some strange reason it's gonna cost more to build the spec I want so I'm gonna buy mine pre-built. It comes with Windows Vista Home premium. Great! Not! So I'm gonna uninstall it in the time it takes to install your average game and either install the crap old XP which I've nevr been keen on anyway, or to install a good open-source Linux. The problem is, I don't have a clue where to start!

Vista is $349 NZ for the upgrade version of Home Premium, or $510 NZ for the full install of Home Premium. I can't justify spending $349 on something that will probably make my PC run slower.

I'm happy with XP SP2, it does everything I need. So I'll forget about Vista for now. Maybe in my next major system upgrade I'll will splash out for Vista..... sorry Bill, no interest in Vista so you don't get my money ;)

If your thinking about making the upgrade to Vista think long and hard about it first. Will it change the way you use your computer, what problems could you experience, will you have any compatibility issues with your current hardware/software.

Going ahead with the OS change? If you buy the upgrade or full install version. Backup your data, format your drive and do a fresh install. Don't install over the top of your existing Windows OS.

I've said this before in another thread about Vista. The average person who buys Vista on release day, will run home to install it, and then be amazed by it's shiny new desktop and wizz bang graphics. They will not appreciate or give a **** about all the work done under the hood so to speak.

Then there is the uninformed average person who buys Vista on release day, they will run home to install it, only to discover their system is not capable of running Vista at all or they will run into countless problems.

Microsoft may have released Vista but the next 6 months will determine if it is indeed ready for the general public.

Time for a little eye opener from apcmag.com

t's all too easy to get caught up in the million dollar marketing engine as we approach the consumer release of Windows Vista, so lets not forget that it isn't the second coming, and by all counts is an upgrade you can do without.

There are many lists out there on why to get Vista, so here's ours on why not to.

1. You don't actually need it -- No, think about this. Vista doesn't do anything you can't already do with XP. About the only significant shift requiring Vista is DirextX10, but as no titles support it yet and, according to John Carmack (the godfather of modern gaming) there's no need to yet either.

2. Cost $$ -- It's so blindingly obvious, most people will be blinded to it. You already have XP, and alternatives like Linux are free. If you really want to throw money away, go give it to a local charity.

3. On that note, it's outrageously overpriced -- at least in Australia. As revealed in the current APC, even after taking into account the profit margin Microsoft Australia previously applied to XP (as well as exchange rates, as you would expect), Australians are paying hundreds of dollars more for their copies than in the US. In fact, it's cheaper for Australians to buy Vista direct by mail order from the States. If you think Microsoft Australia is reaming us, vote with your wallet.

4. Upgrading hardware -- XP was demanding at release, but Vista more so. If you have an older machine that struggles with XP at the best of times, Vista is out of your ballpark unless you spend even more money to upgrade. If this is you, see point 1.

5. Driver support -- Key hardware like video and sound is crippled at the moment -- while Nvidia is working furiously to get a stable driver for the 8800 out by the 30th, there's still no SLI support for any of the Nvidia range. And thanks to the removal of hardware accelerated 3D sound in Vista, Creative's popular DirectSound based EAX no longer works at all, muting this feature for just about all gaming titles on the market today. Creative is in the process of coding a layer for its drivers to translate EAX calls to the OpenAL API which is seperate from Vista, but going by past experience with Creative drivers we won't see these any time soon.

6. Applications that don't work -- there's been plenty of coverage about applications that won't work without a vendor update. These include anti-virus, backup and security software such as those from Symantec, Sophos and ilk; CD and DVD burning tools like the suite from Nero need updated versions to work; and even basic disk management and partitioning tools such as Paragon's Hard Disk Manager are awaiting an update for Vista to be compatible. How many more will fail as Vista enters mainstream? Even Firefox has issues with Vista.

7. It's a big fat target -- with a new and untested in the global wild architecture, virus and malware authors are going to work overtime exploiting the holes Microsoft missed. In fact it's already happening. Loath though I am to use the word 'security' and 'Windows' in the same sentence, Windows XP has at least been patched to the hilt and can be used with a plethora of reasonably effective security tools that work now, without waiting for an update down the track.

8. UAC -- Oh yes, the Microsoft solution for an operating system where mutli-user was an afterthought. Sure, you can disable it, but the OS then makes it clear then that the onus is on the user for any damaging programs that got to run with permissions, rather than with Windows in the first place. If you do have it on, it is going to annoy the hell out of you. It pops up far too frequently, and even on a fast PC, the UAC screen takes too long to come up and disappear.

9. DRM -- And to a lesser degree TPM -- were made for the RIAAs and MPAAs of this world, and the even tighter integration of copy protection mechanisms and 'Windows Rights Management' into vista are nothing more than a liability to you, the user. This ComputerWorld piece says is succinctly: 'it's hard to sing the praises of technology designed to make life harder for its users.' As for TPM, this short animated video shows just how far the rabbit hole goes. And to think you pay for the privilege of having the use of media you purchased and own dictated by third parties, even on your own system.

10. The draconian license -- somehow, Microsoft has forgotten that it built its business from products that empowered its customers, not hampered them. Of course, we forget that Microsoft's customers aren't you and I, afterall (see point 9). Aside from the backward thinking that is licensing, and not actually owning, your software new terms with Vista include being able to transfer the license only once; half the limit compared to XP for Home Basic and Premium on how many machines can connect to yours for sharing, printing and accessing the Internet; limits on the number of devices that can use Vista's Media Center features; activation and validation governing your ability to upgrade hardware and use Windows itself; and outlawing the use of Home Basic and Premium with virtualisation software, and Ultimate only if DRM enabled content and applications aren't used. But then again, who reads these anyway?

And number 11 is that with every single release of Windows that comes along, the harder it becomes to find the true mechanics that help make your system work. Slowly but surely users are handing control of their machines to Microsoft. Even with XP, I found I had more control over a PC with XP's predocessors than I do now.

But there is only 1 reason why you should get Vista...

Face it, you have no choice

When Microsoft brings out a major renovation to Windows, you can choose to ignore it for a year or two, but then the device drivers start drying up for older versions of Windows, your friends start asking questions about their new PC that you can't answer, and even if you use Linux, you'll inevitably need familiarity with Microsoft's latest interoperability blockers. Face it: your arse belongs to Redmond.

I suppose it's far from ironic that I'm having this conversation in no less than 4 different forums right now. I suppose one good thing is cut and paste :P

Working with dad over spring break a bit.. 2 days will buy me a upgrade vista. So yah, I'm getting it soon.

I'm a Microsoft whore. :)

We all are, if we're willing to be honest with ourselves :P

I just got a copy in the mail. :wink:

I'll let you know how it goes....

Vista is $349 NZ for the upgrade version of Home Premium, or $510 NZ for the full install of Home Premium. I can't justify spending $349 on something that will probably make my PC run slower.

I can get Academic Upgrade version for $198... :nod:

Or free I'll have to check when I get back... heheh... :P

Going ahead with the OS change? If you buy the upgrade or full install version. Backup your data, format your drive and do a fresh install. Don't install over the top of your existing Windows OS.

Yeah I'm quoting myself.

What said above can't be done with a Vista upgrade DVD :( You can't install it on a clean formatted hard drive. Microsoft have changed the install routine, meaning you need to have your previous OS installed (WinXP or Win2000) first, then you can upgrade to Vista over the top. That sucks :mad:

More here: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070128-8717.html

Microsoft are dictating to the user what should be done. I've read somewhere that you'll need to buy a new License for Vista every time you make a significant upgrade to the machine, since the signatures Vista creates won't match.

I'm sorry, but WTF is all that about!

Microsoft really need another court case against them to break them down even more. Competition really needs to be against them for once. This is too much a one horse race that they can dictate, and I don't even find it funny!

On one hand Microsoft are simply trying to combat all the pirate copies of Windows, and you can't blame them for attempting to protect what's rightfully theirs.

On the other hand it becomes a nightmare for the law abiding consumer who has legally purchased their copy of Vista, but they are controlled by Microsoft's over the top restrictions.

So if I'm using Vista as my OS and then proceed to upgrade my RAM and video card I have to buy a new license for Vista to work again? Screw that!!!

So if I'm using Vista as my OS and then proceed to upgrade my RAM and video card I have to buy a new license for Vista to work again? Screw that!!!
No no no... they're talking about major upgrades, like a new motherboard. Pretty much anything short of that won't be a problem.

But even if there are problems here, you know that at the end of the day they WILL be worked out. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Microsoft are dictating to the user what should be done. I've read somewhere that you'll need to buy a new License for Vista every time you make a significant upgrade to the machine, since the signatures Vista creates won't match.

Umm. No. It works like XP from what I've heard. If the key has been "activated" too much then you do what you would do with XP, call and get the activation key.

3000th post. ^_^

But even if there are problems here, you know that at the end of the day they WILL be worked out. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Well your right, I don't have worry about it. I'm probably not going to think about getting Vista for at least another 6 months.