Sign in to follow this  
judoka

Is there a CD-ROM Version?

Actually if you buy it from a local store you can get them to put it into your machine for you. They're probably charge you but still. ;)

My MOM put in a DVD drive...

If she did, by ****ing God a chimp can.

Are you saying a chimp is as smart if not smarter than your Mom? :P I hope the chimp isn't as ugly too.

Yeah I'm sorry but that was too hard to resist. :P

Are you saying a chimp is as smart if not smarter than your Mom? :P I hope the chimp isn't as ugly too.

Yeah I'm sorry but that was too hard to resist. :P

I'm not going to defend my mom to a Kiwi. :twisted:

RACIAL SLUR!!! BAN BAN BAN!!! :P

unless, of course, luk3us wants to be a tittle fuzzy bird... :P

Hi.

I'm building computers a lot lately so this is actually something I can help with!

IDE DVD-ROM/CD-ROM = $20

IDE DVD-RW(burner) = $30

SATA DVD-RW(burner) = $40

Order it online. Use NewEgg.com ... they're the best.

HOW HARD IS IT TO PUT IN A DVD DRIVE?

If I break it down into as many steps as I can it's 7

1: Turn off comp, pop it open

2: Put DVD-Burner into Optical Drive bay, take old drive out if none free

3: Plug in IDE or SATA cable

4: Plug in Molex 4-pin or SATA Power cable

5: Connect it to your sound card (optional)

6: Close computer, start up, BIOS will probably notify you that it sees a new optical drive.

7: Install drivers from CD or download them ( I recommend DLing more recent ones). For a ROM drive you might not need to do this, they're usually pnp (plug-n-play)

The easiest thing ever. It'll take you 5 minutes.

As for an external enclosure or external DVD drive ... I don't see why not! Settle for nothing less than USB 2.0, and you will probably have a slightly slower speed than SATA drives--but probably about the same as an IDE/PATA drive. I'd honestly go for internal, more cost effective and efficient.

As for step 5 is not applicable anymore unless you have a system which is around 6+ years old, They now have audio going through the PATA/SATA cable now so it is nothing to worry about.

If youre going to do it yourself, get an ESD (Electro Static Discharge) strap so you can ground yourself to the computer, Otherwise you can risk damaging your whole system trying to install it.

Also, you will have to set the jumpers on the back of the DVD drive as Master if you are using it as your primary drive. If not then set it as Secondary

If youre going to do it yourself, get an ESD (Electro Static Discharge) strap so you can ground yourself to the computer, Otherwise you can risk damaging your whole system trying to install it.

Friggin waste of money if I ever did see anything.

All you got to do is ground yourself (touch something metal that'll wear away the static) and work on your computer either on a wood or stone surface. Just don't work on it on carpet.

If you're rly super paranoid, just wear some gloves or something. (Rubber of course) =

All you got to do is ground yourself (touch something metal that'll wear away the static) and work on your computer either on a wood or stone surface. Just don't work on it on carpet.

That still won't work..I jsut warned you anyway..dont cry when your pc gets screwed up

Pff those straps are a total waste of money. All you need to do is like TSBO said touch teh outer case from time to time and not do it in socks whilst dancing on carpet. ;)