Sign in to follow this  
Guest Rabbit

What the Hell Happened?

Guest Rabbit

Man, it's been 7 years since the last game, and, upon talking to King, and a few of you around the community, I must say, jeez, things aren't as very many of us expected.

7 years of anticipation... 7 years of hoping for a new game, a new toy to entertain us, but, when I think about it, was it really the game that is supposed to be fun, or was it all that anticipation?

I've started to notice that, although this new game has come out, things have been incoherently quiet in the community. Everyone out to play the game? Or just nothing to say anymore? Sure, everyone's talking about the game, everyone's talking about bugs, or heck, talking about how much they now love / hate EA, but, I guess the question to ask is... now what? I've got my game, now there's really nothing to say. Sure, I like it and all, but where's the pizazz around the community anymore?

The storyline wasn't really nearly as I expected it, unfortunately, but, it's still playable, I'm happy about that, but, I dunno, it just seems like everything is blank. Usually the game would cause some form of discussion, but so far, few people have started any threads with "What do you think this means?" or "Hey! Look what I found!" This feeling as a whole is just... empty. I've started posting less (at least I think so), and so have others, because, well, hell, there's really nothing to talk about.

When we hit the 'nine weeks until gameplay' mark, we were all ecstatic. Everyone was like, "WHY CANT THE WEEKS GO BY FASTER?" EVERYONE wanted the game. But now, as the game is being released, there was no countdown, there was no thread saying "OMG I HAVE THE GAME!" It was all just a "heh, cool." Nobody is going nuts over patches, nobody is really discussing what things could mean, where the game could be going... heck, nobody is even starting threads on how much they love the game, only how they're actually playing through it slowly, but steadily. And already, hundreds of clans have formed, and ruined multiplayer, with the typical 'mass and bash' tactic.

What has happened to C&C?

I have a bad feeling about the future... I really do.

I haven't' finished the game yet, so I'll post lost of stupid things like you mentioned once I have. :nod:

As for teh future, I want my expansion pack! :P

Ha, I've written an article on this, but my god your version is tame in comparison to mine! :twisted:

I think it's safe to say the real C&C died with Westwood. EA can only make expensively poor clone wannabes. I hate such a large portion of the game it's unreal.

I'll be releasing a new article soon, just gotta touch it up and format it. But now I've done what I set out to do I really don't care what the community will think, what Aaron and the rest of EA will think. All I know no is that Universe at War is coming out soon and it's from the creators of the once REAL C&C. I'll start following Petroglyph, at least then we'll have a story and music we can appreciate.

You know something and I can't help but notice this... it's all about EA. If Westwood made this EXACT game, NONE of you would complain. There would be no whining about this and that, no complaints about the game being hollow, nothing. It would be another "great game" from Westwood. Seriously, you goddamn elitist veterans are ruining the community more than the time we spent waiting on a new C&C.

Quit being so wrapped up in the past. C&C3 is now, EA is the future. Play the game for what it is: a solid RTS. Be happy we even have a new game and have fun with it like you're supposed to. All of this little nitpick sh*t is really beginning to grate on my nerves... so much so that if you dislike the game as much as you claim, leave the ****ing community. Leave the rest of us who do enjoy the game in peace so we don't have to endure your constant snide remarks and bitching.

It's sad... C&C died because you LET IT DIE! Elitism ruins everything. I hope you're proud of yourselves.

Tis in agreement with Fyre. Lot of ya still holding on like Westwood is gonna pop out outta nowhere or EA is going to put out there a westwood C&C when they can't.

I'll say I do miss the good old days of Tiberian Dawn and Tiberian Sun but eh...

I'm still looking forward to UaW.... Such a plain name though!!! Hopefully its got a lot of questions to fill as did C&C. ;)

Yep, I am proud, but never mind. My article will explain why I hate it so. And my points are valid...

And for a laugh, simply cos I don't care now, I've added a hyperlink at the end of this article to some real music... Hell listen to it now!

How C&C 3's soundtrack could have sounded

KLEPACKI IS GOD! :twisted:

Guest Rabbit

Amen to that.

Of to Petro-gamers I go. :)

Yep, I am proud, but never mind.

No, wrong. Pride and elitism are different. You reek of elitist tones. Sorry King but that's the way you come off. You act like the game has to cater to what YOU want, when, clearly, it does not. You've clung to the past and refuse to look to the future, which, inevitably, leads to the decline of a gaming series. C&C once was great and was a powerhouse in the gaming world and it has fizzled out and will become a shell of its predecessors. Not because the new game is bad but because you won't LET it be enjoyable.

Of to Petro-gamers I go. :)

I doubt I'll follow. I'd love to but I was VERY disappointed with their first offering. It was dull and boring, and like Natus said, the game gave me cancer. >_< Petro is not off to a good start to be honest.

-----------

EA's grand offering marks the decline of the Command and Conquer franchise itself. Ruined entirely by whiny elitists, n00by fanboys and, of course, EA themselves (You didn't think I'd say it was all oldbies, did you?). EA shot themselves in the foot by dissolving Westwood, not by producing Gen/ZH and TW (both of which are insanely fun and addicting games).

Like generations before, there are always those few who never let go of the past and cling to it like a security blanket, contributing to huge declines among the community itself. Their attitude alienates newer members, making them feel unwelcome in an unrelenting community.

But then you have those shunned members make a community for themselves who continually fight with veteran members, contributing further to the decline of the community. Even the late-comers actions alienate new members, and, naturally, those of old.

With all of the conflicting attitudes and passive fighting abound, no one wants to stay around to make new discussions to keep the feeling alive, which is why you see a huge lack of excitement around the community. Everyone is keeping to themselves or continually ragging on the latest game for not matching their impossible vision of perfection.

With that said, C&C should now fade into oblivion, becoming nothing more than a marred speck on gaming's growing history. What once was a great community has turned into nothing more than petty schoolchildren fighting amongst one another for little more reason than conflicting beliefs.

Guest Rabbit

I didn't mean I'm staying there. I'm still going to be here. I just want to get involved with both sites now. :)

I didn't mean I'm staying there. I'm still going to be here. I just want to get involved with both sites now. :)

And I hope you find success there, find what you want.

Even though I know C&C is dying, I'm going to be faithful to the franchise. As long as I can mod it, I'll buy it, play it and work on it.

What I find interesting is how the attitudes have been reversed. Prior to release it was basically just king and hypno that were saying that the game is going to be awsome while the rest of us we talking about how we were unsure about certain aspects. Now that its released King and Hypno seem to be the ones who dislike it the most while everyone else seems to be loving it. I know im loving it. Sure its not Tiberian Sun level of storytelling or Frank Ks soundtrack (he would have made a killing if he released a generic gaming soundtrack album at the same time CNC3 was released) but im still having a hell of a lot of fun. The New Mammoth tanks add a sence of fun to commanding that no other unit has ever really given me. I usually have at least 1 in any attack force i send out.

With that said, C&C should now fade into oblivion, becoming nothing more than a marred speck on gaming's growing history.

Umm... WTF?!?!

You're just as bad as King or anyone else! What makes you think that you have the right to condemn the C&C franchise? Do you realize how big this new game is worldwide? Did you see TSBO's topic about XFIRE minutes? Have you even played all of the missions yet?

You yourself said you were a modder. There is no worldbuilder as of yet, and there are no modding utilities out either. Modding can make a game 100 times more fun and enjoyable, just look at PPM, APB and Reborn, and all of the other thousands of mods there are out there. You are a fool to think that C&C will die. And as much as I dislike EA, they really didn't do all that bad of a job. The storyline could have been more in-depth and there are a few bugs, but there is NO WAY IN HELL that EA could EVER fill Westwood's enormous shoes.

The only reason why the community has been quiet the last week or so is because they're PLAYING C&C3!!! Which is what you all shoud be doing right now.

LONG LIVE THE BROTHERHOOD!!! :n: :n: :n:

he was reffering to the community as the big problem

Quit being so wrapped up in the past. C&C3 is now, EA is the future. Play the game for what it is: a solid RTS. Be happy we even have a new game and have fun with it like you're supposed to. All of this little nitpick sh*t is really beginning to grate on my nerves... so much so that if you dislike the game as much as you claim, leave the ****ing community. Leave the rest of us who do enjoy the game in peace so we don't have to endure your constant snide remarks and bitching.

I'm with Fyre on this one, its getting on my nerves as well. King, Hypnotist and anyone else..... you don't like the game you know what to do..... leave.

I'm sitting here shaking my head because I can't figure you guys out. A few weeks ago you were saying C&C 3 was the coolest thing ever. You both played it at the summits, you both came away from your FREE trips saying how great it was. Now the game is here and you hate it :shock:

Yeah, on the surface it's great, and the majority of it is still great. But being old fashioned in my approach, I believe C&C has lost so much of it's signature that it feels like a generic RTS.

Yes the summits were great, I'll never for one moment say that I did not enjoy it. It was the ultimate experience. Everything shown to us was hyped, we sucked it in, and the game seemed great! Anyway, I'll be releasing my article later tonight, in that I will explain my reasons.

I had to complete C&C 3 to really understand why doubt was in my mind. I didn't want to write it, but I deemed it necessary. It really doesn't bother me what EA or Aaron thinks about what I have written. This is a world of criticism and it needs to be taken.

I did say I'd give C&C 3 a chance to see where I stand on their RTS development. This is no company of heroes or Dawn of War beater regardless of what anyone says. C&C is not the only RTS out there, and I am the Genre's harshest critic. I've played enough over the last 15 years to know where I stand.

Guest Rabbit

Before everyone on the site thinks I'm jumping off the bandwagon, I want to see this private message I sent to Sonic.

I know I'm still in, I know I'm still going to be covering C&C, idunno, it's just been a weird feeling about it the past few days.

I may have sounded like I want to drop it for petroglyph, but, no, I still want to be around here too. I'm just going to be hovering around both.

Idunno, I think the true fact of the matter is, it IS the summits that did it to us. The summits hyped the game up so much, made it such a great feeling, etc. But idunno, the summits may have been more exciting than the game, in the sense that, we were expecting so much, we were feeling so high up there in the sense of compassion towards our relationship with C&C, and the experience we had in the summits is a hard thing to top, even by a game.

I dunno, maybe I'm speaking too soon. King does have some reasonable arguements, yes, but, not to the point where I'm leaving completely as well. It's just been... hard. I'm having so much trouble recording a podcast on this game, mainly because of these reasons. That feeling of anticipation, hope, that time when we were WAITING was what drove me...

However, if you see, I created two new hidden forums. I'm still working for this site, I'm still going to release two new sections. I'm still going to keep trucking along, but I'm also going to focus on Petro-Gamers. I'm just feeling like I want to get more involved in the Petroglyph community, which, shouldn't detract my time from here.

Umm... WTF?!?!

Be a realist here. The community is dying and making everything worse since no one gets along. People have marred the community and deepened the tension all around. The community has had a marked decline since Yuri's Revenge's release, and especially around the time of Generals release. The community is basically a two-sided system with those who cling to Westwood and those who love EA to death. Anyone who is caught in the middle has no place to call home and ultimately feels rejected from the community. Unless both sides come together and function as a community, C&C is done. A split 'community' can only function for so long before membership declines and everything becomes empty.

he was reffering to the community as the big problem

Indeed I am.

What's this... hmm lets just say I disagree. C&C3 lives up to the C&C name in lots of ways. Sure we can complain about music, mod SDK not yet being here. But they got a lot of things right: Kane is back, the gameplay feels like RA1/C&C: TD, it is really back. This game has no relation what-so-ever with Generals. And face it, the single player campaigns have always been short since Tiberian Sun. The difference is that at least the missions are not boring like some in TS ('I finished the objective, but I still have to whack all his power plants and harvesters').

Cheer up guys, I thought I was negative in my Mod articles 8)

What's this... hmm lets just say I disagree. C&C3 lives up to the C&C name in lots of ways. Sure we can complain about music, mod SDK not yet being here. But they got a lot of things right: Kane is back, the gameplay feels like RA1/C&C: TD, it is really back. This game has no relation what-so-ever with Generals. And face it, the single player campaigns have always been short since Tiberian Sun. The difference is that at least the missions are not boring like some in TS ('I finished the objective, but I still have to whack all his power plants and harvesters').

Cheer up guys, I thought I was negative in my Mod articles 8)

Exactly! Here here! I think Koen should get a metal, along with Fyre!

Fyre, you fool... There is NO WAY C&C WILL EVER DIE. There are just way too many loyal fans. Even if non-loyal fans and the gaming industries don't make the game, there will be plenty of modders creating C&C mods for just about every game engine. You can't disagree with that. The fan's will for C&C to survive is just too great.

Fyre, you fool... There is NO WAY C&C WILL EVER DIE. There are just way too many loyal fans. Even if non-loyal fans and the gaming industries don't make the game, there will be plenty of modders creating C&C mods for just about every game engine. You can't disagree with that. The fan's will for C&C to survive is just too great.

It is not that he's saying C&C is going to die... Its the community. The quality of the community will suffer. Yes, there will always be a community, but will it be good?

Anyway, I'll be releasing my article later tonight, in that I will explain my reasons.

If its a one eyed article that basically compares C&C 3 to every other RTS that you think is better than perhaps you should find another site to post it on.

Sorry to be so blunt and bad mannered but thats how I feel.

i agree with koen...and i can see where king and hypno are coming from...

are we blowing this out of proportion?

anyways i havent had alot of time with the game but i played it once, and it was satisfying...

are we blowing this out of proportion?

Yes things have been blown way out of proportion here. King seems to ignore me now (for reasons I can't figure out), he has quit CNCNZ.com, banned himself from these forums (I removed the ban though) and wants no association with the C&C Community.

In the space of the 5 or so days since the release of C&C 3 everyone has changed their view of the game and the community simply because it doesn't live up to high standards. And in their minds these standards will never be achieved by EA.

What does running off the Petroglyph community (which has been very slow lately) achieve? Follow the development if UaW only call it crap when they release it..... rinse and repeat thats all it is.

Like Fyre said, its an elitist attitude.

sonic are you serious?

he banned himself?

wow..i feel abandoned

things have gotten eerie..

KING AND HYPNO SUCK IT UP..read my topic about DYING FAITH...i expressed negative feelings about CnC3 yet still i will accept it..

really i am now thinking of what to say to sway your feelings and nothing really comes to mind......Nietzsche says to LOVE YOUR FATE.....love CnC's fate.....

the community needs you guys, either stand up or sit down...

EDIT: my assumption is that they are both doing this to either prove something or ..simply have something planned