Sign in to follow this  
Nmenth

Problems with XCC

I've had XCC for a while now and I have yet to get it to start doing what I want it to do. At first it was that I didn't really know what I was doing because it was a new program, but now I understand terminology and such that I didn't before... but XCC was still being as useless as it could manage.

For some reason, I didn't think that maybe it hadn't downloaded properly until recently, however after reloading the thing, it keeps on not doing what I want it to. I have all the XCC utilities and mixer 1.45 (I didn't see any newer than that).

Therefore I must reluctantly consider that I still don't know what I am doing. I would like it if someone could just show me how to work it, but that isn't exactly a very realistic wish...

The first problem I encountered with the utilities is the string table editor, it works fine as long as I never run the mixer again after making changes, as soon as I do, no matter what I do with it, it will restore the entire string table back to it's original values and erases anything I added. I asked about this before and was suggested to get a different editor, but the suggested site could not be opened, I'd rather just know what the deal is with the XCC mixer. Is there any way to edit the string table manually without any programs? I have not seen any method so far, but it'd be nice if there was a way...

My other problem is conversing TS cameos into YR. They seem to completely ignore the conversion, or perhaps I am still not doing it right when I think I am. What I have done is locate my desired TS cameo, I checked 'Use for conversion' and 'Convert from TD', then I extracted into the RA2 directory and named it ecache09. As far as I understood, that was the way to do it... it doesn't convert. If that is wrong, than I've apparently not comprehended the instructions I've read in various guides.

I feel very humbled having to ask for help, but I have reached my limit in frustrations. I do not want to stay stuck with using TibEd and wordpad to make my mods.

Break that up into chunks and I'll help you out. I can't read a big block of text with no discernible endings. x_x

Ah, a side-effect of excessive anime watching :shock:

Ok, concerning XCC mixer 1.45.

It is erasing my string table changes every time I open it. I'd rather know what its deal is than be sent to fetch new string table editors. My internet is dial-up, I don't have fifty years to serf the web and download things.

My cameos don't convert from TS to YR like they are supposed to, it is possible that I am doing it wrong (even if I don't like admitting it).

This is how I had believed it was to be done:

Located my desired TS cameo, I checked 'Use for conversion' and 'Convert from TD', then I extracted into the RA2 directory and named it ecache09.

Assuming I was not doing anything wrong, I have already tried reinstalling the XCC utilities (with afore mentioned dial-up, very boring, I don't like doing it).

I also tried a lot of similar variations in my cameo conversions, so a simplistic mistake is not likely.

Ah, a side-effect of excessive anime watching :shock:

LIES! I watch more than anyone on here. XD

My cameos don't convert from TS to YR like they are supposed to, it is possible that I am doing it wrong (even if I don't like admitting it).

Converting cameos from TS is easy but requires a couple extra steps. You have convert the desired cameo into PCX format with the TS cameo palette applied to it. It must be opened in any image editor that supports JASC palettes, resized to the proper size (60x48), have the necessary text and effects added if necessary and have the RA2 cameo palette applied to it. Then you convert your doctored image to SHP (TS) with the Mixer. It will come out as whatevericon.shp. That should be placed into the RA2 directory along with a modified rules and art file to support it; ideally, you'll have your own mix files containing your mod's graphics and INI files.

... or you can just use the OS SHP Builder instead. That would be far easier.

This is how I had believed it was to be done:

Located my desired TS cameo, I checked 'Use for conversion' and 'Convert from TD', then I extracted into the RA2 directory and named it ecache09.

Where did you pull that from? o_0

Assuming I was not doing anything wrong, I have already tried reinstalling the XCC utilities (with afore mentioned dial-up, very boring, I don't like doing it).

Considering you were doing it wrong, reinstalling isn't going to help.

I also tried a lot of similar variations in my cameo conversions, so a simplistic mistake is not likely.

You're right... it was not simplistic, it was huge.

LIES! I watch more than anyone on here. XD

I know, I was refering to you:

I can't read a big block of text with no discernible endings. x_x
Ah, a side-effect of excessive anime watching

Well that string table editor you gave downloaded successfully, for which I am glad, I am sick of getting sent to sites that I can't actually access for whatever reason. I haven't tried it yet, but it is only the string table, what could go wrong? Oh yeah... pretty much anything.

As for the other download... 2.45 mb... dial-up... really slow... I might get around to fetching that one some time, but it'll take about a half hour and I don't feel very patient right now.

Ok, I did encounter a problem with the string table editor, hopefully it is easily remedied. I assumed when I saved my changes, it would then appear in the game, this was not so. So, is there a certain location the altered string table must be saved? If so, is there a certain name it must be saved as also?

You should extract the CSF file into a folder, do your editing and copy it into the /RA2/ directory. Bear in mind that game dictates what file you will need, ra2.csf for RA2 only or ra2md.csf for YR.