Sign in to follow this  
Gekijin

C&C TFD won't start under Win XP

I have The First Decade edition of Command & Conquer (it is the gold one, I presume), and I just can't start it. I have patched it to 1.02. When I start it with the launcher, it only shows a black screen and this error:

An privileged instruction was executed at address 004dd5b4.

Click on OK to terminate the application.

It freezes, so I must do Ctrl+Alt+Del and terminate the C&C95.EXE process. If I start it with C&C95.EXE, it asks me for CD (while DVD is still inside).I have reinstalled it countless times, always trying something different (no-cd patch, various THIPX32.DLL files, compatibility mode, etc.) with no success.

I am desperate, because I really want to play it. Everything else works fine, even RA1 (maybe it's because of 3.03 patch, I don't know).

Anyone can help me, please?

The First Decade version of Command & Conquer should work problem free right out of the box so to speak.

However, you could try runing C&C95.EXE with out going through the The First Decade launcher.

You don't need the XP fix patch that Sneaky Smiley posted about.

I know it SHOULD work, that's why I am asking.

Read my first post. When I run it through the C&C95.EXE, it asks for a CD. With -cd. parameter, it shows the error I have mentioned.

And before you will ask, yes, that game is original.

I get the same error when i try to run the RA map editor

I have just found an original C&C 95 Edition, but I can't install it, because it asks for a Windows 95. I have tried the compatibility mode, with no luck. I wonder, could be something wrong with my WinXP compatibility mode?