Sign in to follow this  
GeneralZ

C&C 3 Failures and Hopes

I havent been on here for quite some time now, but since the expansion is announced, I thought i'd gradually settle back in.

I just need to vent my opinions about C&C 3, how its so dissapointed me.

I have not played C&C 3 for some time now. When it first came out, withint the first 2 months, I played like a fanatic. I was a hardcore player, with the attitude, if you cant take a fast tank rush or rush faster, than too bad. My response to being beaten was, I'm too slow, gotta speed it up. Went for everything to minimize delays, down to actually setting macros on my G15 keyboard to reduce the time by a few seconds, such as typing E and then F10 at the start of a match to build a crane. C&C 3 has been praised for its fast fluid gameplay, and I enjoyed it for a bit. When the patch came out, I also had no problems with it, only difference was to use more mixed units and more strategy, I thought it hurt players with less tactical abilities more, in other words, noobs.

Problem is, it was hard to stay devoted to the game. Endless of nights of similiar games, with the same people. When you found good players, you added them to buddies and played them again and again. Their gamestyle rarely changed radically, except when they found a better BO and strat, which was then copied and tweaked by all the other pros. My own strat was almost identical to the top ranked player at the time, having copied it after playing him. The only difference was reaction times and battlefield sense, (having a good sense of whats happening all at once). The game became boring. Its not fun doing the same thing everytime, the only relief was the adrenaline rush when the action came on. You learn every trick in the book, because the game is 1 word: SIMPLE.

I stopped playing C&C 3, and found a drug, World of Warcraft. I'm not going to praise it, other than its one of the best games I've ever played. Anyway, my main gripe about C&C 3, what made it boring so fast, was the lack of actual fun units. If you break down C&C 3, its very simple rts concepts, the light scout vehicle, the tier 1 spammable tank, the tier 2 advanced tank, the artillery, and the infantry transport vehicle. GDI and Nod are no fun to play with, even the avatar sucked cause it was so weak. Scrin were the only fun unit to play with, with their zerglish looks and funky tech, but they were consistently beaten out by GDI, with their weak tier 1 units.

I currently find every other C&C game to be more fun than C&C 3 mainly because they had fun cool units to toy around with. Red Alert was fun, with the chrono tech, the abilities and naval warfare. The RA expansions were even more awesome, with chrono tank, shock trooper, and fun units to play around. Tiberian Sun continued with fun units just as well. Subterranean APCs, hover mlrs, even the mammoth MK 2 with that rail gun that goes through anything was just awesome to play. It was fun, watching a chem missile turn a group of guys in visceroids and wreak havoc in ur enemy's base. I once blew up my own WF when the MK2 fired at an enemy and the beam went through the building. It was funny and fun, and cool to talk about. RA2 was no exception, Prism tanks FTW, giant squids and dolphins. Fun to play, fun to watch. Yuri brought in Mind control, more fun stuff. Generals did not have it full share of fun units, but it was a lot more tactical. But it had the angry mobs "AK 47s for EVERY1 YAY!" and there was the dragon tank and toxin tractor, fun to use. Everything cept the infantry was awesome, every tank was good, and every aircraft was useful in sumway or another. ZH put the fun in fun. Combat chinooks, Demo bikes, Nuke migs and tanks, that was the best stuff ever! Damn fun to play and still fun to play to this day. The varied units led to many unique strategies, my favorite of all was the assualt troop transport and listening outpost rush with inf gen.

Now we come back to C&C 3, what fun units are there? Sure a few units have cool abilities like jumppacks and stratofighter, but its not really fun. Its barebone rts. It has all the nuts and bolts of an RTS game, with nothing really unique and nuts to play with, slapped with a C&C label and hyped with actors. You'd expect that many years after Tiberian Sun, they'd have more advanced technology, but they seemed to have downgraded all their technology to C&C 1 era. You'd think there would be at least 1 hover tank in the GDI side, they have the technology, (Hover MLRS), but its more like our military capablities today. This is what screwed C&C 3 in my opinion.

The singleplayer is also very lacking. I've only played singleplayer for C&C 3 once, and I never touched it again, it was not fun to play again. Only the scrin missions were fun. I've played every other C&C singleplayer multiple times, while their storylines was not so developed, more thought was put into each mission. All the old C&C games had 7-8ish missions, each one a fun and well thought out. C&C 3 has over 20 missions, in multiple theaters, and each missions feels more like a skirmish game than a mission. EA went for quantity over quality this time, and hiring actors to try to put some life into it cant disguise that not enough thought was put into each mission. The game's popularity has indeed dropped. If you kept up to date with Xfire top 10 games played. C&C 3 was indeed in the top 10 played when it came out. But its not fun to keep playing for long, its taken a big drop in popularity, a lot of my friends have stopped playing. It nowhere near that list now, overtaken by the games that have consistent players.

Currently, C&C 3 is dead, in my opinion. My only hope the expansion to C&C 3 will revive the game. It needs to put fun units in, and bring the funky tech back into C&C 3, which is how C&C stands out in the crowd. I now hang onto to every bit of news for the Expansion, hoping it will do to the game what ZH did to Generals. I'm still a loyal C&C fan, but severelyl dissapointed by what C&C 3 has to offer. As of today, I've abandoned C&C 3. Zero Hour is more fun to play, and I play it occasionally, but WoW has occupied my attention with its 2nd expansion announced. I return to the community hoping the expansion will prove C&C to be the best RTS series, otherwise I will come away again dissapointed and empty handed.

You've just summed up every thought placed in these forums since the game's release. Congratulations, have a cookie.

Since you mention a lack of great units. The problem really was that anything below top tech in C&C 3 ended up being rather dead-end. May I recommend an alternative?

It means dragging yourself back to Petroglyph. But Universe at War is being called (in some places) the most innovative RTS since Starcraft. No dead end units, 3 of the most diverse factions ever seen in this genre. The storyline has even made developers cry, it's that dramatically well written.

It's also the only RTS in existence to remove the Rock, Paper, Scissors game mechanic from the unit level, up to the resource level. It's now Rock, Paper, Aardvark :wink:

Anyway, have a good look around. This game is nothing like Empire at war.

i didnt read all of what you said, im just replying to the first part

doesnt make them noobs if they arnt as good as you... noobs are begginners.... if some pple are slow, doesnt nesserely make them noobs, point of the game is to have fun, game wasnt made just so you can just win

also WoW was one of the best games in the world to hit millions in days.... kinda crazy eh? i was stuck playing it for a year until it started messing up and didnt want to download patch... well it did, but freezes every time Lol, anyway C&C 3 doesnt have the "be addicitved for a year" type thing like some games like WoW are. for C&C 3, its more like a few months and Poof no fun anymore.

creators didnt give us a real arsonal of units, but from what ive been hearing about the expansion, after that the game should have a full arsonal, i mean if you think about it the factions themselves are unbalanced Lol, GDI is too powerful yet nod is weak and only strong in numbers of 6...

also note that when they fineally get around to releasing the mod sdk, we should be getting some pretty damn good mods

also question, you just said you played the missions once? i think thats rather a lie because you have to beat storymode with nod and GDI to be scrin....

also you may think its "dead" but you would be surprised how damn popular this game was, good or not. alot of stores sold out when the game came out.... i got ti first day it came out at walmart... i had the last one lol, it isnt "as" popular as it was but it is still pretty popular, still surprised it didnt do nearly as good as when warcraft 3 came out XD

doesnt make them noobs if they arnt as good as you... noobs are begginners.... if some pple are slow, doesnt nesserely make them noobs, point of the game is to have fun, game wasnt made just so you can just win

Noobs sucks. They're the people that will never learn and/or suck after playing for a bit. NEWBS or NEWBIES or the similar are the beginners.

Also games are for fun, but in a competitive area (RTS as a Sport kthx) it's made to be to have fun but also to win. Games are also there for winning. Every game in history, from football, soccer, hockey, to even Chess, Risk, and Checkers, some people play for the fun. Some for the wins, some find winning fun. So eh...

GeneralZ... Truce? I'll still get onto your case if you get too uppity like "Well I play with the pros and I'm better" etc but I'm willing to forgive the past and what you've said towards CNCNZ.com.

sure :D. one of the reasons acting uppity was to goad you into playing me. but theres no ill will. i stopped playing C&C 3 too, so i cant say i'm better anymore.

i wont even waste time explaining. i wasnt attacking noobs, i was complaining about C&C 3

I look foward to playing Universe at War. I played eaw like a maniac, and petro should be able to turn out another fun game. I guess thats one prob about me. Once i find a game to settle in, I play like a fanatic, several hours straight everyday. like wow right now :lol: (must reach lvl 70 b4 expansion comes out!)

General Z wasn't complaining about noobs, he was complaing that C&C3 became boring.

also note that when they fineally get around to releasing the mod sdk, we should be getting some pretty damn good mods

The game alone should be fun, you can't depend on mods to make the game fun.

also you may think its "dead" but you would be surprised how damn popular this game was, good or not. alot of stores sold out when the game came out.... i got ti first day it came out at walmart... i had the last one lol, it isnt "as" popular as it was but it is still pretty popular, still surprised it didnt do nearly as good as when warcraft 3 came out XD

Maybe because everybody expected it to be great and it has been a long time since another C&C title came out.

Warcraft 3 died. Now everybody is playing DOTA.

Warcraft 3 died. Now everybody is playing DOTA.

yay to DOTA

lol? thats why when i go on battle.net numerous channels are full and theres always a long list of games, TFT is pretty much just as popular as wc3

anyways i wasnt saying he was complaining, i was just replying to the part he was talking about

I thought it hurt players with less tactical abilities more, in other words, noobs.

he was comparing himself to them, as in anyone who loses to him is a noob, thats what i was replying to

also, remind me what DoTa is? i forgot which topic you guys said it meant :D , anyway im sure you will play agian when expansion comes out, you may nto thinky ou will but you prob will :P

Yea.. Uhh, anyone who loses to yourself consistently is a n00b. :wink: They suck in comparison to you, so to you they're a n00b. Now if the n00b beats someone else, that someone else in is a n00b to your n00b which in turn they're both n00bs to you. :D

You can play for fun that's fine, but you're still a n00b. n00bs aren't necessarily caring to become pr0s or anything, some are, but most ain't. Most are there for fun, and if losing matches to you is fun as long as you got to pump out 1 unit, fine by me, I still got my + 1 win. It ain't really insult unless you wanna take it that way...

Im not disappointed in CnC3, because im not an online player, but i would be happy if people would play more strategically, for fun, not for winning only, as fast as they can. I enjoy my hourlong skirmish matches with CnC3 or AoE2. Of course there is still a lot to do for the devs to somewhat force players to do so (Altough i think CnC indeed stands for fast-paced, action-oriented gameplay, but, as anything, that can be overdone).

WoW is not my taste, btw. It does everything wrong in what an RPG should look like imho.

And my little bro turned into even a bigger ass since hes playing it, hes addicted as hell...

noob means begginer... so are you saying pillbox is a noob sense he lost that match? noob means begginner, has nothing to do whether you lose or not

Im not disappointed in CnC3, because im not an online player, but i would be happy if people would play more strategically, for fun, not for winning only, as fast as they can. I enjoy my hourlong skirmish matches with CnC3 or AoE2. Of course there is still a lot to do for the devs to somewhat force players to do so (Altough i think CnC indeed stands for fast-paced, action-oriented gameplay, but, as anything, that can be overdone).

WoW is not my taste, btw. It does everything wrong in what an RPG should look like imho.

And my little bro turned into even a bigger ass since hes playing it, hes addicted as hell...

Play unranked matches then if you want fun and hour long matches. Just don't play ranked games where everyone is there to win. :?

Hey guys this is my first post!

:wink:

I agree with LordPunwisp, noobs are beginners who arent great at the game, u could lose to the best player ever, but that dont make u a noob!!!!

:wink: