Sonic

Updated Red Alert 3 Info

Hagren, from our forums, has sent us a list of updated Red Alert 3 information. This was taken and translated from the PC Guru magazine Red Alert 3 preview. Some interesting stuff so its worth reading.

• Every unit has secondary functions. The allied tank for instance is able to concentrate radar beams to be used as a scouting unit
  • Although not visible on the screens, there's going to be massive damaging in RA3, with weapons carving colossal craters into the ground
  • Most structures are able to be bulit on water for extra cost
  • Ships can only "land"/leave shore on sand, so its crucial to defend these areas
  • The article writer claims that the impressive graphics don't shine through the screens. In his opinion, graphics are much better compared to CnC3, he's especially flabbergasted by the animations
  • The Russians have a submarine called "Akula" which isn't simply deadly against ships, but is able to train divers as well
  • The Bullfrog transport ship doesn't have to set shore, its able to "shoot" out the units it's carrying
  • The Japanese Seawing bomber is able to transform into a submarine simply by falling into the water
  • Sea battles will be crucial in this game
  • The Japanese will have a water based tank called "Tsunami" which is both heavily armoured and powerful, and slower on land than in water
  • The campaign can be co-operatively played with a friend from start to finish. If there's no one to play it with, you can choose between an array of AI allies to fight the war
  • Starcraft 2's lead designer worked on RA3 before he went to Blizzard
  • Gameplay will be much slower, an aspect, along with the beta, that the team concluded from Tiberium Wars. The writer confirms this slowdown.
  • Enemy soldiers freeze upon Allied dogs barking
  • The Mobile V4 is able to swim as well, but its main draw points is the precise and area effective attack.
  • The Russians' submarine, the Stingray Nasad, sports Tesla-launchers, and is a rather small, but fast unit
  • The writer praises the smooth animations, explosion effects and water in general again and again, its crazy!
  • Live action FMVs are back mixed with CGI and outdoor scenes
  • The writer holds that Red Alert 3 wont be as good as Starcraft 2, but damn close, and even better than Red Alert 2
  • No Yuri
  • Atmosphere is top notch
  • Expansion pack is already planned

Nevermind :P

Im quite fond of these unit and naval ideas, btw.

Hopefully i can get the rest of the article (More than half of the full version) to translate :(

Gameplay will be much slower, an aspect, along with the beta, that the team concluded from Tiberium Wars. The writer confirms this slowdown.

I think this what Saracen wants to see..... slower gameplay. Not a million miles an hour like C&C 3.

i like what i hear, alot...but i wouldnt say that starcraft will be better, id say it will be different ina good way

Yep im loving the sound of all this.

Slower gameplay doesn't seem to suit the retarded RedAlert 2/3 universe, as much as I enjoy it.

(I'm loving the unit names though.)

Loving the sound of this already. Units sound original, wacky and fun. Like the sound of the CGI and outdoor movies, one thing CNC3 lacked sadly.

Regardless of this I know not to get my hopes up too high.

I think this what Saracen wants to see..... slower gameplay. Not a million miles an hour like C&C 3.

Heh, I laughed at that. You read my mind. Yes, I was going to quote about the game speed. This gets EA my highest respect. I'm preferential to a good solid real paced game with no arcade style strategy like in C&C 3 or Red Alert 2.

Of course if the pacing is going to slow down, then this game is going to need more micro and macro management. Just so you're doing more strategically and physically. I'd prefer if the gameplay avoids the typical C&C path of just creating an optimum build order than spamming 1 or 2 particular unit types en-mass.

But these units do look crazy.... Multiple abilities should bring some great strategic depth. And I can tell that the modders are going to have a field day. But there are 2 concerns I have though...

Firstly (at this early stage) Naval warfare seems to be getting a lot of attention. I'm probably guessing that the Devs are finally happy to get fully working Naval combat, and really want to go nuts showing it off. But I don't really want to see it being the main emphasis of the game. When it comes to games where there are multiple stages.... it can be in space, in the air, in the water or on the ground. But everything needs to have equal treatment throughout the game. The previous Red Alert's did exceedingly well at this, and I hope the trend continues and doesn't wander off on a tangent.

This campaign, while it's an interesting mechanic to have co-op... I'm not someone who'd wish to team up with an AI, when playing solo. The AI might be great, it may even be better than me to start with. But having to work as a team with anything in th campaign isn't my idea of fun. This is probably my traditional RTS player mind kicking in. But if there's an option to go it alone without the help... (even if it's against 2 tough, highly co-operative AI all the way through...) I'd like to have the option to do that. If not, well if you don't fail the mission for losing your Co-op partner ... I'll have to act like the American army and use Friendly fire every mission on my ally until I am on my own. :P

But yeah, I'm starting to gain some interest in this game now. I just hope the game brings enough to the table and then some, to be a great modern RTS. Then maybe myself and Apoc will get along once again. :haha:

Will the Japanese be their own side or are they allied or even possible soviet?

Anyway, this game sounds like INSATY! I love Naval Warfare so it's good to get some of that. It's good to hear that Yuri's gone since he was kinda lame....

Firstly (at this early stage) Naval warfare seems to be getting a lot of attention.

The preview states that 'Sea battles will be cruicial in this game.'

Not too sure about that. i mean yeah, the naval units in the previous games were good and added an extra element but I don't think they game should be so heavily focused on it like Saracen said. I suppose though with Japan being an island nation that naval battle will be a common thing with them.

Thanks Hagren! Wow, this really looks good so far!

Saracen: I guess they will. Theres versatility, but there are units which work better in water, and others which are designed for ground. And knowing that the Kirov will be back...

Co-op campaign sounds interesting, but i agree, there should be the option to turn it of for the lone gamers out there :)

Boyle: Its a separate faction.

And my pleasure y'all :)

Now if i could get those missing pages from somewhere :(

Edited by hagren

guys i have a good feeling about this game, like it will be awesome...an instinct, foresight....

Everything sounds great so far. I'm especially happy to hear that the game will be slower than TW.

Now all I want is an increase in the maximum zoom distance... B)

I get the impression that it is almost really about Naval Battles... all the water/land amphibious capabilities...

I hope that it would be a balanced game with sufficient land, water and air units... RA2 lack air units focus... they should have airfields and fighter planes like RA1, not just Kirovs and Harriers...

No Yuri? Lame.

We'll get a female alternative that doesn't make me want to stab my eyes out, but the complete opposite. That'd rock. It really would. Like Hathor from Stargate SG-1. Or something. <_<

I think the music should be composed of songs by Dr. Dre(Rap remix of the Hell March FTW), Ice Cube, Metallica(Metallica Hell March FTW), and Triumph. The title theme would be "Still D.R.E.", because this game is the chronic.

I think the music should be composed of songs by Dr. Dre(Rap remix of the Hell March FTW), Ice Cube, Metallica(Metallica Hell March FTW), and Triumph. The title theme would be "Still D.R.E.", because this game is the chronic.

Dear god no

let me say it like this..

I don't think Dr.Dre would set his reputation at risk for this.

He's a good producer yes, but are you really serious about hip hop and RA?

Frankie is the only one on top of the RA mountain, and he always will be, no further discussion.