vyper

Something that might give SC2 the edge

Not for casual and/or single players, imho.

You're forgetting how powerful the multiplayer is. I haven't seen anything top the StarCraft online experience yet. Nothing has come close to the epicness that is an Evolves or a nice Bunker D. Seriously, play that instead of the real game if you're a casual player... it's more fun anyway.

And the campaigns are a marvel to behold. You can't deny that campaign progression is unbelievably difficult, especially in Brood War. Took me no less than 4 hours to complete the final Zerg mission. No other game, that I particualrly enjoy, has ever offered anything that difficult yet maintain a degree of playability that keeps the mission from borderline impossible.

(Side note: RA2 had a much higher enjoyment value, imho)

I've had a lot more fun modding Red Alert 2 than playing it though... time spent on each game is probably about equal. So don't get me wrong, I love RA2 to pieces but it doesn't measure up as a serious venture. Not that that's a bad thing either...

meh. i stand by my natural hatred of the game >-> nothing's gonna change it. i might buy SC2 just to see how bad it is but it's gonna have to be fricking AWESOME to convert me. and i doubt anything reaches that standard >->

You're forgetting how powerful the multiplayer is. I haven't seen anything top the StarCraft online experience yet. Nothing has come close to the epicness that is an Evolves or a nice Bunker D. Seriously, play that instead of the real game if you're a casual player... it's more fun anyway.

No Im not, thats the point: I dont play online :) And for me as noob single player, SC doesnt offer much, while I do like it, I get more fun out of CnCs. But i LOVED WC3 to pieces back then when it was released. Still, something does not feel right about Blizzard games, while in some areas, they rule.

interesting. i'm getting a good set of reviews for the gameplay here x3 good learnings methinks :3

No Im not, thats the point: I dont play online :) And for me as noob single player, SC doesnt offer much, while I do like it, I get more fun out of CnCs. But i LOVED WC3 to pieces back then when it was released. Still, something does not feel right about Blizzard games, while in some areas, they rule.

So play online then. It's a lot of fun.

interesting. i'm getting a good set of reviews for the gameplay here x3 good learnings methinks :3

Get the game. It's deep.

never been a fan of SC but for a different reason entirely. sure the SC series is good but it's all kak'd and done wrong. it was based on warhammer 40,000 and you can clearly see there are a fair few changes from that timeline. if you're not familiar with WH40k history just play dawn of war and you'll see what i mean o.o; similar but not similar. it's an issue that greatly frustrates me because for years they openly ripped off 40k even admiting it but without paying any royalties to games workshop xD and being a major fan of 40k it does tend to frustrate me... especially when little gamer noobs start saying SC is the best thing ever made and claiming it's all original then looking at you blankly when you give evidence proving otherwise --;

I'm sure if Games Workshop could make a case to demand royalties from Blizzard they would. However, if that's the case then 20th Century Fox should be able to knock GW for the tyranids' similarities to a certain Xenomorph they own creative rights to and Robert Heinlein should be able to sue them for using the idea of soldiers equipped with powered exo-armor.

There are similarities to Warhammer 40k, that can't be denied. However, Starcraft has enough unique fluff to make the game it's own animal. The strained relations between the colonies and the Terran Dominion, the Queen of Blades, the Protoss's struggle to keep from going extinct, all good stories that I hope they continue.

Dawn of War is a awesome game, it is the only game that has the dubious honor of never leaving my hard drive once I installed it. But from where I'm sitting and based on what I'm gathering, GW is right next to Palladium Books and Electronic Arts as the snobs of the nerd industry. They own a large chunk of the market and they act like that's a license to abuse the customer as much as they want.

Edited by Gen. Yuri

Get the game. It's deep cheap.

^ As the probably most rabid cheap gamer I know, I approve of the above message. :lol:

yo know , when i see those xenomorphs exploding in splashes of green , it reminds me so much of starship troopers..........

you need that kind of visceral satisfaction to conclude a succsessful strategy or maneover.

thats why, beating your opponent will be more FUN as compared to red alert 3.

the difference is that SC was originally meant to be a games workshop game until games workshop changed their mind then blizzard went and made it anyway. so GW have all the right in the world to sue them for whatever they want o.o; and the giger aliens look nothing like the tyranids o.O the only one that bears any kind of resemblance is the termagaunt because of it's long head. that's it o.o; an i dunno about the power armour thing. there are many different power armours out there... that idea has been exploited to the max o.o

No. If GW could sue Blizzard, they would have done so already. There is most likely enough difference between the IPs that any copyright claims court would have probably thrown the case out. From your story, it sounds like when GW changed their mind, Blizzard said "No! We did too much on this to just throw away." then proceeded to give their work a different coat of paint. This also must have happened relatively early in the design process as only the Zerg really bear any resemblance to a GW IP.

This arguement is over unless you can produce articles proving that GW had a hand in the development of Starcraft. Otherwise, I'm bored so lets go back to discussing how the Zerg will probably be unbalanced in SC2.

Edited by Gen. Yuri

tosh. other species look exactly like space marines and another looks like a cross between the eldar and the tau, both in appearance and social structure. anyway it is proven fact SC was based off WH40k. i'm just too damn lazy to look it up. go find a games workshop store and ask any staff member in there about it and you'll be in for a good argument >_>

in the meantime searching for evidence of rip-off i found this: http://edition.cnn.com/TECH/computing/9805...privacy_piracy/

which freaked me out a lil. from what i understand there has been no lawsuit filed yet because games workshop aren't like that... they could easily win the lawsuit if they did it (maybe even against WoW too for blatently ripping off warhammer o.o; but that's a different pot entirely)

i probably could find information on games workshop giving their ok to the game, except most of google is simply FLOODED with goddam forum posts which pretty much hold very little validation in the eyes of critics xD and i can't be arsed to spend my whole morning searching through them. i remember reading it in a magazine somewhere though. a game review magazine on the first starcraft o.o

That article is 10 years out of date. Find something more relevant if you want to incriminate a game company. It will take a lot more than that. Besides, the WC universe has been around since 1994, StarCraft since 1998 and Diablo since 1996. If someone was going to file a real lawsuit that went anywhere, it would have been done already.

Not to mention, I'm a little tired of WARHAMMER and 40K fanboys/fangirls whining about Blizzard 'stealing.' It's not amusing anymore.

Starcraft has never interested me. i have played it a few times, nothing special. CnC is alot better imo

i know it's an old article. i'm just a little curious. do they still do that? cos if they do i think i'm definately gonna avoid the new game >-> hopefully they stopped that long ago. and i wasn't trying to incriminate a games company i was asking about it because it worries me a little and as i said earlier, i was considering buying SC2. i don't know why they haven't filed a lawsuit. i'm not god. but games workshop started 40k in like, '87 so they pretty much call the shots on all that stuff o.o; and i'm whining about it because it's blatent XD; i wouldn't mind if it were one or two unit types, but the whole game is a clone because it was designed as a WH40k game originally. it just peeves me off that they decided to make their own empire out of it. i'm also a little tired about blizzard fans constantly saying how good it is but there you go. now let's drop the argument before it drops onto one-to-one abuse shall we? :\

This is a slightly old thread, and I'm going to completely ignore who owns the source material, to say C&C universe has always been fun to play in - but I've always found Blizzard IP's to be more polished and ultimately better balanced. Like the recent 1up comparison said... quantity is better than quality.

It's not suprising to see so many posts in favour of our own C&C, I'm kinda suprised at some of the complaints about SC though...

quantity is better than quality.

You mean, quality over quantity. :P

agreed >.> you can pump out a thousand cruddy games but they won't stand a chance next to one decent one

Not true.

What you are referring to is the EA policy. :P

Not true.

What you are referring to is the EA policy. :P

I didn't even know EA had a policy. I thought they just played it by ear.

lawl DD... that sounds about right X3; i'm pretty sure that's how they've always done everything. maybe they did make a policy now... like a policy to play by ear? *compromising* XD

Its coming along obviously. :P