Gben

Spamming Units

If I remember correctly, the thing about RA1 that was fun is spamming tanks and sending to the enemy base. Now in C&C3 that's considered boring. The basic idea is that we don't like to make base defenses too strong, because we want to encourage attacking. We want to make all units viable in the end-game. Part of it's balance was single build orders... building one unit at a time!!! (remember that!)

But imagine, if you will, you are going to design C&C4 - how would you stop the basic spam technique?

I was thinking that if you made the counter-units MUCH more effective, and that you should stretch or exaggerate the rock-paper-scissors advantages.

ie predator spam. Balance change: make rocket soldier to 2x as much damage to armored tanks, but still as vulnerable to bullet weapons (ie apc and rifle soldiers). Or when you increase one attribute, you should decrease another, or add the Achilles heel so to speak (through cool-downs or what-not).

It seems balance changes only adjust things in one direction... and therefore one unit always presents itself as the spammers choice. And while this will always be a viable strategy to the effective rush, in the late game this should be a ludicrous strategy not a winning strategy.

um... the RA2 British tank destroyer is a good example - terrifically good against tanks, but had a fixed turret which made tracking targets difficult and was vulnerable against infantry. Tanks that are multi-tasking like the mammoth should be rare and expensive. Whereas in C&C3 the upgraded pred tanks are reasonably effective against all inc ground targets - this is too versatile.

ie. No matter the numerical superiority advantage, I think 1 squad or rocket soldiers should be able to take 10 rocket squads.

So if you are going to design C&C4 - how would you stop the basic spam technique?

The current rocket squad should be replaced by a Guardian G.I. like infantry (like deploy to fire its main AT weapon yet uncrushable when done so, and less armor). And AA infantry should be introduced.

It would be cool to have actual huge spam battles in the middle of the map where you really micromanage your units to kill the others. The units should be cheaper so there could be made more of them. But I kinda hate it in CnC3 how every kind of attack can be countered with something, so there is no chance to invent an ultimate strategy that does not involve over 999999999999999 mammoths or something like that.

(sry I dunno if this was a good answer to your topic...)

I like your idean inferno, but I guess with foxholes we already have that.

But the guardian inf really did work well in RA2:YR didn't they.

Which brings up the minor point that garrison clearing abilities are a little too instant for me... if it's 3 squads in a building it should take 3 shots or 3 squads to clear them out, to give the people in the defensive structure more of a bonus... but this is a rabbit trail.

More talk on spam. I never played C&C1 in MP, just sp - did you all spam in that?

SC created the pop limit in response to RA1, WC shrunk the limit to emphasis hero units, how does C&C evolve the game mechanic?

The GGI in RA2 didn't work too well because it was overshadowed by normal GIs who could take on both tanks and infantry, and were cheaper too.

Decrease the economy.

Increase Lethality.

Remove stupid point and die support powers

Change support powers to XP like in CCG,ZH, not the stupid cash system.

Kill pop up and die defences.

Remove the soft counter natural of all units.

And a whole bunch of other crap that I don't feel like babbling about at the moment.