Sonic

New RA3 Details & Developer Interview

Here is another one of those "lists" packed with new Red Alert 3 details. This info was taken from the German site PCGames.de. Thanks to CNC-Files for the translated list.

• The campaign is linear, thus features such as a strategic map or mission selection are not planned
  • Resource collection will be revamped, and apparently it will do without ore fields- and bring it to the sea
  • You don't have to be online at any point to play the campaign
  • The multiplayer code of the SAG engine will be completely rewritten
  • By no means are all units amphibious
  • There won't be any unit with more than 2 abilities, to emphasise unit mixing, micro and prevent rushing/light-speed pace
  • Units shot out of the Bullfrog transport ship are suspect to anti-air fire
  • The AI commanders aiding you in one campaign will be enemies in another
  • The Tesla trooper is still able to "overload" Tesla coils and has a new name: Megavolt
  • New Russian hero unit: Natasha
  • Shadows will be improved
  • FMVs won't be that talkative, and were pre-filmed with developers for demonstrative purposes
  • Concept arts show a Japanese infantry unit with a strange helmet that illuminates the grounds vertically with a blue light
  • Artists were influenced by Soviet, China and Cuba propaganda for Soviet design
  • The Japanese equivalent to Natasha and Tanya is a violet-haired girl named Alexis
  • There are two types of bombers for the Allied. The precision bomber (No name yet), which does exactly what the preliminary name is suggesting, and the Century bomber, which carpet-bombs larger areas
Once your done with that list you can watch a 13 minute developer interview with Chris Correy and Amer Ajami.

ra3_dev.jpg

And some of these info from the magazine itself :)

I was so lucky to find it in the library, I'm out of cash :lol:

lol, Empire of The Rising Sun units are going to be very "Anime-looking". Good news for DD.

What's with the renaming of the Tesla Trooper to Megavolt? Is that for real? It should always be simply "Tesla Trooper".

It's not really a trooper any more though is it. This Megavolt more closely resembles a Big Daddy from Bioshock. Not that he'll be protecting little girls.... only frying them when they try to slap C4's on stuff. :P

As I said in the roundtable, I'm content with Red Alert 3. It's up to EALA to choose how to do this game. I'm not gonna bitch and moan about this game at all. They can give Tanya a sex change and call her Brian for all I care. If that's what they want, then that's fine.

What's with the renaming of the Tesla Trooper to Megavolt? Is that for real? It should always be simply "Tesla Trooper".

Well, why would have they made up the name? Although they called it Tesla trooper everywhere else.

im wondering about the whole resources thing...no ore fields?and i also dont like the aime stuff..

Megavolt sounds like some kind of Tesla Wolverine and not an infantry unit.

im wondering about the whole resources thing...no ore fields?and i also dont like the aime stuff..

Its probably oil or something. Probably not that bad.

yea i was also thinking oil, but did they really have to take out ore fields? those were so awesome...oil sounds too realistic and modern, but at least its a fresh idea..(?)

Edited by rEdaSbLood

Its a good idea which FORCES players to go to see. If they only had ore fields, I guarantee many people wouldn't bother with going out to sea. Now they are forces to build both land and sea units. :)

Aren't they overhyping the whole whaterthing a litte to mutch? I mean it's not THAT new...

Its not new, its just not that many RTS games go with Land & Water.

Im not an anime fan, but the Japanese concepts so far were mindblowing, imho.

No ore fields? Okay... so, what next? No nukes?

Indeed, I think they're giving too much importance to water.

And I guess that Japan is not more than anime and sci-fi robotics.

No ore fields? Okay... so, what next? No nukes?

No nukes.

Indeed, I think they're giving too much importance to water.

Why is that a bad thing?

And I guess that Japan is not more than anime and sci-fi robotics.

That's ridiculous.

Edited by sith_wampa

yeh you said it. and purple hair lul?!

I really hope they aren't serious about that anime thang.

No nukes, no ore, anime...

This I don't like....

The anime influence isnt that high ;) And nukes? Ok if they come up with something new. Same goes for ore.

The anime influence isnt that high ;) And nukes? Ok if they come up with something new. Same goes for ore.

Something like...

A moon based Super Tesla Coil? B)

No nukes, no ore, anime...

This I don't like....

Hooray for being different. About time more devs broke the mould.

How on earth is the RTS genre or even C&C as a franchise supposed to evolve if everything always stays the same?

We've got the classic staple stuff, and the core mechanics. Westwood's version of C&C 3 was going to involve squad management and evolution, RPG elements, heavy unit micromanagement and customisation. If that C&C was published before Westwood went under, we as a community would have taken it for granted and not argued over the issue.

We moan at EA for chucking out endless clones of the same game year after year, yet when they actually use some form of innovation or make a whole load of changes people say they don't like it!? Some people need to decide what they want. It may look Red Alert 2 3D, but in all honesty, that's the last thing I want it to play like.

First of all - is this poorly written or what? I am a bit confused.

* The campaign is linear, thus features such as a strategic map or mission selection are not planned

If the campaign is linear - doesn't that mean there isn't any twists or catalyst missions? Stagnant run and gun gameplay that C&C has tried to not become?

* Resource collection will be revamped, and apparently it will do without ore fields- and bring it to the sea

For this I wonder if they will do a similar method that Dawn Of War has done with capturing flags for res. I do like the idea of oil but ore IS red alert!

* New Russian hero unit: Natasha

* The Japanese equivalent to Natasha and Tanya is a violet-haired girl named Alexis

Cat Fight Anyone?

I'm gonna miss Boris - specially when I put him on a camel!

* FMVs won't be that talkative, and were pre-filmed with developers for demonstrative purposes

So this means pointless CG (don't get me wrong I love bad ass graphics for cut scenes) with not story? WTH!?

There better still be monkeys that throw crap at you and Camels that spit nuclear acid that destroys everything!

Ahh well - I do like the commie propaganda idea - and I am excited to see how japan is going to be - who's side is Japan on? Pretty interesting if it was a third side but w/e

Ohh and taking nukes out is like saying the cold war never exists - yeah nukes are overdone - overused - but damn it! they are so F-ing pretty!

If the campaign is linear - doesn't that mean there isn't any twists or catalyst missions? Stagnant run and gun gameplay that C&C has tried to not become?

I believe linear is refering to the fact that all of the campaigns will have the same result and/or occur one after another, like in C&C3, and opposed to TS and RA2.

Ohh and taking nukes out is like saying the cold war never exists - yeah nukes are overdone - overused - but damn it! they are so F-ing pretty!

They most likely have either smartened up and stopped using them because of radiation or made something better like antimatter bombs or something.. :nod:

Thanks to CNC-Files for the translated list.

• The Tesla trooper is still able to "overload" Tesla coils and has a new name: Megavolt

Well when I read your original post - it says to me...

The TESLA TROOPER is still able to 'overload' the Tesla coils - and this ACTION/SUPPORT POWER/SPECIAL ABILITY has a new name: MEGAVOLT.

For this I wonder if they will do a similar method that Dawn Of War has done with capturing flags for res. I do like the idea of oil but ore IS red alert!

Cat Fight Anyone?

I'm gonna miss Boris - specially when I put him on a camel!

So this means pointless CG (don't get me wrong I love bad ass graphics for cut scenes) with not story? WTH!?

There better still be monkeys that throw crap at you and Camels that spit nuclear acid that destroys everything!

Ahh well - I do like the commie propaganda idea - and I am excited to see how japan is going to be - who's side is Japan on? Pretty interesting if it was a third side but w/e

Why is it poorly written? Its all perfectly simple:

Linear means that there wont be any choices in mission selection or -order. If you complete a mission, youll go right to the next one, without a world map with several selectable missions, right to the next one, and so forth. Thus this point wasnt referring to mission design, strategical depth or canonical surprises, but on how youre going to proceed from mission a to mission b. Example: In GTA3, you had multiple sources providing you with tasks, and you could choose the order of them (Like first youll take C, then A, then B). But in a game like Max Payne 2 for instance, youre going from level to level without the game ever letting you decide which level to complete first (A-->B-->C).

And regarding FMVs: No, it doesnt translate to poor story and CGI-only. They simply realized that TW FMVs contained almost exclusively pointless talking, and they want to cut that back. That doesnt mean that there wont be any dialogue, just that it wont be that extensive.

Edited by hagren

Well when I read your original post - it says to me...

:o

Nice eagle eyes. :D