Sign in to follow this  
fosterboy123

Red Alert 1 TFD 3.03 - Running Network Games

Hey guys,

im new here as you can see, and i happened to google this site, im a massive fan of command and conquer red alert. its the best rts ive ever played and i always used to play playstation linkup years ago :)

anyway, ive been trying to get my TFD version of Red Alert to work over LAN in my house, so i can kick some ass.

Ive been researching a lot, and everything seems to be fine, ive installed 3.03 and the TFD fix, enabled IPX protocol on my network and now i can access the lobby, host or join games over my network.

The problem is, i cannot play the game without having the TFD disc in, meaning that i cant install my original copy of TFD red alert on any of my other home computers and play LAN games.

as far as i know there isnt a NO-CD that works for red alert in TFD either, every single one i try doesnt work, says the file size of my ra95 is different. or asks me to get files off my red alert disc which arent there because its the TFD version.

Please help me out if you know of any resolution.

cheers

Steve

Edited by fosterboy123

You will need another copy of Red Alert. The original releases of Red Alert never had this problem because one player could huse the Allied CD while the other could use the Soviet CD. Since the TFD version all come on 1 DVD you can't do this.

So you can either buy another copy of the TFD pack or hunt around for copies of Red Alert second hand.

BTW, discussion about NO-CD patches is not allowed on these forums.

You will need another copy of Red Alert. The original releases of Red Alert never had this problem because one player could huse the Allied CD while the other could use the Soviet CD. Since the TFD version all come on 1 DVD you can't do this.

So you can either buy another copy of the TFD pack or hunt around for copies of Red Alert second hand.

BTW, discussion about NO-CD patches is not allowed on these forums.

if this was the case then the official patch i just installed wouldnt have fixed it so i dont need the CD anymore would it??

anyway, if anyone is kind enough to help i have a new problem now, we cant see eachothers games or either player in the network lobby.

cheers

Ive been researching a lot, and everything seems to be fine, ive installed 3.03 and the TFD fix, enabled IPX protocol on my network and now i can access the lobby, host or join games over my network.

The problem is, i cannot play the game without having the TFD disc in, meaning that i cant install my original copy of TFD red alert on any of my other home computers and play LAN games.

as far as i know there isnt a NO-CD that works for red alert in TFD either, every single one i try doesnt work, says the file size of my ra95 is different. or asks me to get files off my red alert disc which arent there because its the TFD version.

ROFL.

Ahem... sorry. The simple fact is that TFD RA1 and C&C1 never needed the TFD DVD. They both have a NoCD setup by design.

However... I'm the guy who made the TFD RA 3.03 patch... and since the RA 3.03 patch IS a normal CD version, I had to apply a NoCD patch to it to get it working on TFD.

This patch isn't working 100% correctly though, and complains if there is no CD in the drive.

That is really ALL it checks though. It doesn't read anything off the CD, it just checks if there is one in the drive. You can put in any CD you want, and it'll still work.

Edited by Nyerguds

Nvm thanks anyway guys. problem sorted. got it up and running on my 7 home computers now ^_^

How?! I installed all the same patches. can get into the network lobby but we cant see eachother.

How do you fix it?

Either install the IPX protocol on your network connection, or don't use RA v3.03 and use Scorpio9a's thipx32.dll patch.

Edited by Nyerguds

Either install the IPX protocol on your network connection, or don't use RA v3.03 and use Scorpio9a's thipx32.dll patch.

Got it! thanks

Only thing is that it seems like Red alert is running slower than it should. It seems like it plays at a reasonable speed for a while, then slows down for a while, then speeds back up. I dont know why this would happen because our computers now days are way better than they were when this game came out and it doesnt seem like this should happen ya know.

Any ideas?

Your reasoning is faulty... games always have more problems on newer systems than on the ones they were designed for.

As for your problem, I don't really know... though it might go faster if you use non-3.03 RA with the thipx32.dll patch I mentioned, since that makes the game run over normal IP connection without needing the (quite old) IPX protocol.

Personally I only use RA 3.03 for its 8-player online function (normally 4 player, but 8 can be enabled by typing /8PLAYERGAMES in the lobby console). But RA LAN is 8-player anyway, so there's not really any point in using 3.03 for that.

Edited by Nyerguds

Your reasoning is faulty... games always have more problems on newer systems than on the ones they were designed for.

As for your problem I don't really know... though it might go faster if you use non-3.03 RA with the thipx32.dll patch I mentioned, since that makesthe game run over normal IP connection without needing the (quite old) IPX protocol.

hmm, okay, so then would I have to un-install red alert, then re-install, then just install that thipx21.dll patch, and try it?

p.s. thanks for your help in both threads i have going.

Yes... it's not possible to uninstall the 3.03 patch, so that seems like the best way to go.

And no problem, I'm used to this... in fact I pretty much bought TFD to fix the bugs in it ;)

(and for the extras DVD. C&C1 beta ingame video footage = worth it B) )

I don't mean to brag, but it's a plain fact that most of the changes the TFD patches do to C&C1 and RA1 were just official implementations of fixes I posted on the EA forum -_-

Edited by Nyerguds