Sonic

Open Map Competition 4 - The Results

A quick reminder, Open Map Competition 4 is a C&C community world wide mapping contest for all fans of Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars. The competition officially ended way back in September 2007. But after many long months of judging the results are finally here.

omc4.jpg

Banshee has posted an update in our community news forum that explains a few things. At the time of posting, the 8th, 9th and 10th place winners have been posted at CNCCommunity.Net. If your interested in downloading these maps click here.

I believe that someone at some stage mentioned that the winners would be included in the KW expansion or something along those lines? I take it then that this didn't happen then?

Also GIVE ME MAPS NOW!

I'm not 100% sure but I believe some maps were sent to EA at some stage. Banshee should able to clarify this.

I made a deal with APOC where the best maps would be sent to the Kane's Wrath development team and they'd evaluate these maps and add (or not) them to the game. I've sent the maps back in the end of november. However, I haven't got any kind of response on this subject. I've recently emailed APOC again to ask about it. So far, no response.

Well we will find out soon enough when we get the game I guess.

It really is :(. The are still able to add them in a patch, if they want.

Edited by Banshee

yea i agree, they should at least add one of the omc4 maps into KW during a patch or somthing. Apoc said he would review them and ect. etc. But all it seems is all you get is a congrats and he says that these are works of art. period. (he knows how to disapoint people.) i could not even think of a reason why not to include them in, becuase there are probly only gonna be like 10 extra maps in KW then there was in TW and thats still very few compared to other C&C games. theres should not be any reasons why they cant edit those map themselfs maby to add more tiberium or tech or whatever it may be.

but anyways when i wake up in the moring ill find out if my map came in 1st or 2nd. KingBase vs. JBV3737,KB Corrupted States vs Wind of Desolation. hehehe im exited. ;)

Yea, KB. I have a feeling that these maps weren't reviewed at all. They've probably got lost on the depths of APOC's mailbox and never reached the devs... so, he has totally skipped my questions in an email that I sent him in this week.

yea its such a shame, it would have been a good grand prize. I know im getting a little bit off topic but how many emails have u sent Apoc Reguarding the maps that were sent in and you getting no response? becuase it seems many from what i can tell.

I don't know... I don't think I have counted them recently...

I'd say that Apoc has got quite a bit on his plate. I can only imagine this is for the impending release of Kane's Wrath, planning after sales support. interweaving it with the Red Alert 3 stuff and working out a strategy with ZoneRunner to make sure everything goes peachy with the other 2 upcoming games. Add that to all the extra levels of marketing that all that stuff has to go through. Then add the everyday tasks he has to deal with as well, and I'd say he's pretty much up against all odds, so something's gotta give. Unfortunately it seems, it's the e-mail correspondence he sets up with us community leader guys. Give it a week or so and things will probably start to go back to normal, I'm sure.

He didn't had to deal with RA3 and work with Zone Runner on Tiberium when I sent the maps (in the end november), but there was a community summit less than 10 days later.

Well, i came 2nd thats still amazing :P. I actully didnt expect to get this far in OMC4, since ive been only mapping on WorldBuilder for about a year. maby ill win in OMC5 for RA3 or somthing lol. good job to JBV3737 #1 map is a sick map! :o He's got 5 years expeirence on me in WorldBuilder.

Edited by KingBase

Thanks Kingbase, I was suprised my other 3 non scripted maps got as far as they did. I made them purely for kanes wraith.

Well atleast I got wind of desolation to win; it didn't turn out too good in my opinion, way to asymetrical and the scripted music gets annoying after a while; which was exactly what the contest wanted (maybe thats why EA is turning there backs on us? to much work to prep the maps for consoles with the other game modes, etc)

shame EA went back on there word.... again... Having the maps in kw is the only reason I entered the omc4. well atleast hopefuly i'll get a T-shirt signed by the generals dev team. hopefuly.

I don't think lack of symmetry was any problem. The rules of the contest were clear to anyone, specially for EA when they offered to review the best maps and include them or not on Kane's Wrath. And scripts should have a lower weight on future editions of OMC. 15% was really too much, specially for C&C3. 10% seems to be more fair.

i think Apoc should have at least replied with saying sorry but these cant be added to KW because...etc..etc.. rather then just ignoor you.

Maby an OMC that should count 80% scripts and would be based on fun factor i think that would be cool, but the problem with that is that not very many people know how to script. so probly not.

oh and i have a question for u JBV3737 how do u do your mini maps like the official TW maps insted of the straight top down veiw and take a picture?

Edited by KingBase

Yea, KB. Lack of reply or any answer to my questions is what really annoyed me. There is a battle cast prime time next friday, maybe there is some kind of reply reserved there, maybe not...

And the scripts ratings is something that will be looked carefuly into, in the next edition.

oh and i have a question for u JBV3737 how do u do your mini maps like the official TW maps insted of the straight top down veiw and take a picture?

Photoshop CS 2 I take the pic from above, then photoshop it with my own hands/mouse :) outline the starting of impassible areas with a dark black brown line, then inside the impassible area darken it about 20%, really shows impassible areas ingame.

redzone maps i like having a wide light blend of dark green along the edges of the minimap picture.

Yea i think scripts where bull**** for this contest, should have been 5 score, not 15.

Think about it, almost all of the maps in the top 11 execpt my (6th and 5th) have scripts and all this added scripts that may or does effect gameplay and such, just think about how much work EA would have to do to make them 'offical' even in a patch, are they going to pay someone on the dev team to edit these maps? No, they will make more money advertising and making maps for kw which is why they most likely are not going to do anything with these maps, they aren’t prepped enough to be ‘offical’ in cnc3/kw’s symmetrical balanced non-scripted maps…

Ahh, some excellent news indeed. :)

congrats banshee for getting this through, and for persevering with this.

I look forward to seeing these maps in future patch, and will be sure to download the map packs and give them the ride of their life.