Sign in to follow this  
Luk3us

Naval Warfare

This topic is bought to you in association with Luk3us random thread making services. "Providing you with pointless topic since 2003", and Luk3us the all powerful!

So with naval being an "important" part of RA3 how should it play out.

I'm HOPING that it is actual naval warfare with all that should be associated with it, and not just land battles with a blue tile base.

Thoughts, opinions, ideas, are not appreciated, but I can't stop you. :P

i don't understand this thread

So far in screenshots the shallowish water is clear enough to see all the way to the bottom. I wonder how this will affect submarine warfare; if at all.

Will subs be easier to detect/destroy (ooh depth charges?? :D) in shallow water than in deep water? Or does water depth have no bearing on subs at all other than "can/cannot travel here"?

I certainly hope that subs don't automatically unveil themselves in shallow water. I suppose it should be a greater tactical risk to send your subs into shallow water, but that would just suck if they did that.

On a similar note, I wonder if battleships will be able to move into those shallow regions, specifically the spots where amphibious units will move from land to the sea.

Oh I do hope the big'uns list when you torpedo them. Also where is my hardpoint targeting like EaW? Disable capital ship engines, take out the aft gun turret. I wanna cripple that battleship before I sink 'er!

haha... That would be epic. :D

too detailed for RA... battles don't last that long sadly. in the time you'd spend trying to disable a unit they could be rushing your base elsewhere :\ neat idea though it would be awesome. gawd only knows how they are gonna handle naval battles but i'm guessing it'll just be like land but on water. they're too lazy to make any major details in on it ._.;

I hope not, from what little information we have they have stated they're going to try to avoid that very scenario.

Oh I do hope the big'uns list when you torpedo them. Also where is my hardpoint targeting like EaW? Disable capital ship engines, take out the aft gun turret. I wanna cripple that battleship before I sink 'er!

No, the ship should be fully operational until the very last moment, like in the old games :)

Screw realism :)

i think they should have some kind of compromise. no specific targetting because the unit size on screen is way too small and the battles too short... but as you shoot them they should receive damage and have their performance based on the damage received. for example, half damage they lose some of their guns... 3/4 damage they lose most of their speed too or something o.o and the only way they can be fixed is if you dock them and repair them properly. not forgetting graphical damage and smoke an stuff ^_^

No, the ship should be fully operational until the very last moment, like in the old games :)

Screw realism :)

Quoted for truth.

You can't have much realism with naval warfare anyways...

yah that's true i guess. i wanna see how it's gonna play out. it could be totally awesome if they do it right but i'm willing to bet it'll just be land combat on water, dispite what luk3us says xD

I could imagine divers being roasted by tesla boats.

(I really hope some of the infantry have learned to swim a little)

EDIT:

omg try and imagine all infantry could swim!,. EA is forced to make a new "bonecrushing splat sound" when ships flattens an army of helpless engineers swimming in the ocean!! :mad:

Edited by JahSpoR

omg try and imagine all infantry could swim!,. EA is forced to make a new "bonecrushing splat sound" when ships flattens an army of helpless engineers swimming in the ocean!! :mad:

Nah. The classic squishy sound would rule. xD

it was just be a dull thunk as the boat hull hits them XD maybe with some air bubble noises or something XDDD unless you're talking props... in which case it'll get a lil more interesting XP

IMO the naval warfare will be pretty fun. I hope EA have learned their lesson with KW and will do their best to satisfy us, the fans. I'd like pretty much to see the return of the Dreadnaught, cause it was my favourite Soviet unit to play with.

wanna bet? it's EA... they'll just continue chugging out crud until the franchise is dead and buried :\