Sign in to follow this  
Nmenth

Getting M.A.D.

I am attempting to make a new(ish) version of the Mutually Assured Destruction Tank (M.A.D. Tank, RA1) for a map in YR.

Unfortunately, the game crashes upon detonation of the tank.

I have altered and reexamined all my codes so many times, it is driving me insane. I only ask for help because I have already failed on my own enough times...

The game crashes as soon as I order the tank to deploy, it constructs and drives around without fault.

These are all the codes for my unit:

[PICK] ; I am using this existing unit

ROT=5

Cost=2000

Name=Mutually Assured Destruction

Size=5

Armor=Medium

Image=MONOENG ; The train engine from TS, I thought it looked interesting

Owner=Africans

Sight=9

Speed=4

Crewed=no

Points=30

Turret=no

UIName=Name:MADTNK ; I added this into the stringtable Value=M.A.D. Tank

Crusher=yes

Nominal=yes

Primary=LevelResonance

Soylent=1500

Strength=400

Category=AFV

Deployer=yes

DieSound=ChaosDroneDie

Explosion=chronofs

MaxDebris=4

MoveSound=ChaosDroneMoveStart

Secondary=VirtualScanner

TechLevel=1

Trainable=no

DeployFire=yes

DeployTime=.66

Accelerates=yes

CrateGoodie=yes

DeploySound=IronCurtainOff

SelfHealing=yes

VoiceSelect=RobotTankSelect

CanRetaliate=no

Prerequisite=FACTORY,NAPSYB

Insignificant=no

RequiredHouses=Africans

CanPassiveAquire=no

ImmuneToPsionics=yes

ImmuneToRadiation=yes

AllowedToStartInMultiplayer=no

[LevelResonance] ; The weapon

ROF=120

Range=1

Speed=8

Damage=80

Report=SpyUplinkOff

Rocker=yes

Suicide=yes

Warhead=SonicShockWave

Projectile=InvisibleLow

RevealOnFire=yes

[sonicShockWave] ; The warhead

Wall=yes

Rocker=yes

Verses=5%,5%,4%,40%,36%,10%,100%,90%,80%,50%,50%

AnimList=ring

InfDeath=0

ShakeXhi=5

ShakeXlo=4

ShakeYhi=5

ShakeYlo=4

CellInset=6

CellSpread=20

ProneDamage=400% ; Take more damage by laying down

PercentAtMax=.5

Your explosion is an undocumented animation. I would try using something from another unit like TWLT100 or TWLT70. If that's not it, elaborate on the timing.

Also, as a point of interest, use the Chaos Drone deployer logic to fire the weapon. Eliminate the need for the DeployTime statement.

The explosion is a little blue flash that is in conquer.mix, nevertheless, I removed it to see if it would change anything. It didn't.

Also, as a point of interest, use the Chaos Drone deployer logic to fire the weapon.

I'm not sure what you speak of, how does the chaos drone's logic differ?

Eliminate the need for the DeployTime statement.

I added DeployTime so the detonation would be delayed by .66 of a minute (~40 seconds). I could never test this to see if it would work correctly due the the whole crashing thing, however I did take the flag out long enough to see if it would make a differance, it still crashed, obviously.

I changed some of the encoding (these shouldn't be relevant):

[PICK]

Armor=special_1

Speed=3

Explosion=TWLT100 ; At your suggestion, if I can fix it, I like the chronofs animation

[LevelResonance]

OmniFire=yes

AreaFire=yes

[sonicShockWave]

Verses=5%,5%,4%,40%,36%,10%,100%,90%,80%,600%,50% ; I gave it special armor so it one-hit-kills (or at least critically damages) its own kind, thereby making massing them difficult

The explosion is a little blue flash that is in conquer.mix, nevertheless, I removed it to see if it would change anything. It didn't.

I know what it is. I use it myself but it's undocumented in the [Animations] list and is not documented in the art file. This is prone to causing Internal Errors.

It's a quick fire type. In other words, your unit will just fire the weapon instead turning to deploy.

I added DeployTime so the detonation would be delayed by .66 of a minute (~40 seconds). I could never test this to see if it would work correctly due the the whole crashing thing, however I did take the flag out long enough to see if it would make a differance, it still crashed, obviously.

That's not why it crashed. It's unnecessary but it would be interesting if it worked.

I changed some of the encoding (these shouldn't be relevant):

[PICK]

Armor=special_1

Speed=3

Explosion=TWLT100 ; At your suggestion, if I can fix it, I like the chronofs animation

special_1 is a special case armor type used on Terror Drones to give them infantry-like vulnerability as a vehicle type instead. You will hurt your own troops and destroy terror drones in one shot every time. If you want to go with this idea, use special_2.

[LevelResonance]

OmniFire=yes

AreaFire=yes

Technically unnecessary unless you can drive this thing into buildings like a Demo Truck.

[sonicShockWave]

Verses=5%,5%,4%,40%,36%,10%,100%,90%,80%,600%,50% ; I gave it special armor so it one-hit-kills (or at least critically damages) its own kind, thereby making massing them difficult

See above for this.

I also noticed on your original post, your AnimList points to another invalid animation. It's actually RING1.

it's undocumented in the [Animations] list and is not documented in the art file. This is prone to causing Internal Errors.

Can I just add it onto the list than to make it acceptable?

I also noticed on your original post, your AnimList points to another invalid animation. It's actually RING1.

This is the same case as the blue flash, I liked the animation of 'ring', it is not a typo. Ring1 is not a fitting animation for a sonic shockwave. I changed this to ring1 anyway to see if it was at fault.

Unfortunately, the game still crashes.

Another thing occured, I added DeployToFire=yes to see what would happen and the tank would no longer cause a crash when it deployed, but that was because it refused to deploy. I force-fired with it, and... crasho. Anyway, I deleted this because it seemed pretty useless.

It's a quick fire type. In other words, your unit will just fire the weapon instead turning to deploy.

I can't really go with a quick fire, that is not the way of the M.A.D. tank. If, in the end, I find out I cannot make a delayed detonation, I will scrath the idea completely and come up with something different to make.

[LevelResonance]

OmniFire=yes

AreaFire=yes

Technically unnecessary unless you can drive this thing into buildings like a Demo Truck.

That's why it wasn't in the original code. I added these simply because the chaos drone had them.

Indeed, that was the problem, which is too bad, because the original M.A.D. Tank had a spread of 20.

Well, after a successful test, the detonation of 10 cells is far too small and the DeployTime had no effect.

So now I must ask, is there any other way to get a higher cellspread and a delayed detonation?

Not including a hardcoding patch, I'm not interested in modding to that degree.

If not... the M.A.D. Tank project has been a failure. :(

You can get a delay if you deploy the tank into a dummy structure that has no image, fires an animation that does damage using a suicide DeathWeapon. However, it requires an art entry to do properly and since this is a map, cannot be done.

Oh well...

I guess the M.A.D. Tank is too unique and that's why they made special unit-specific codes for it in RA1 in the first place.

I'll invent a replacement eventually, but maybe not for a little while, I bought Kane's Wrath and that ought to keep me busy for a time... and the beta for RA3 this fall, I guess.