Koen

TibEd 2 beta 5f released

After this very long TibEd 2 beta 5 through beta 5e thread, it is time for the first TibEd 2 beta 5 with a real discussion thread. I bring you: TibEd 2 beta 5f. To those of you who know beta 5e, compared to this version switching to the GUI editor tab now doesn't lead to an error (but the editor does not work properly yet, you can only edit existing keys). And there have been numerous fixes to the editing of C&C3 files, which should solve problems reported recently on this forum. I have no outstanding issues with editing any of the XML files on my TODO list, so hopefully I can push for a fullblown GUI editor in future versions!

What's new:
- Change: no longer send ~TibEdMod.nnn directories to the recycle bin; delete them when closing TibEd.
- BUGFIX: When editing objects with an inheritFrom field, no include would be added if the base object was in the same file. Editing UpgradeTemplates with an inheritFrom encountered this problem.
- BUGFIX: problem with Defines sorted out (moving Defines to Mod.xml made them undefined until parsing of files had completed. Now they live in their own ModDefines.xml and the inclusion problem is solved). Old projects which exhibited the problem might have upgrade issues, move defines from Mod.xml to ModDefines.xml to fix them.
- BUGFIX: invalidated ModFiles were None in the ModFileSystem cache, which caused crashing when opening them again for writing. Now the file is reopened correctly.
- BUGFIX: when no game folder is set in the registry, the red warning message about an invalid game folder would not show (e.g. no auto-detect, no TibEd setting).
- Initial version of the GUI editor, but adding keys does not work (clearly marked as incomplete in the GUI).
- HOTFIX (02-05-2008): the ModFileSystem fix was not shipped. Additionally, TibEd used the installed version o the SDK, instead of the most recent one. This causes weird problems for people with a Mod SDK other than version 5 installed. Fixed.
- HOTFIX (05-05-2008): problem with defines was not completely fixed: the include to ModDefines.xml was only created for the first file which pulled in a Define.

Mirror 1: http://www.tibed.net/download?tibed2cnc3

MIrror 2: http://www.cncnz.com/downloads/assorted-command-conquer-files/utilities/#28

Koen i again had the build error after playing with the weapons list. i have this time kept the logs, and have broken down the one to its build information only, however the full log file of everything i did tonight is a 2.3mb text doc. If you want the full document, i can either break it down, or email it to you at a later date. Hope the information i have provided you will be enough.

Thank You

Lachlan

Fail_Build_Log___Delphi.txt

Fail_Build_Log___Python_.txt

Edited by Funkylok

Before I look at this further: did you install the stand-alone Mod SDK as well. If so, which version? v1, 2, 3, 4 or 5? This might be relevant (or not), but it is good to know.

And another question: which version of TibEd was this mod initially developed with? Can you send me a copy of the mod?

This allows for easier tracking down of the problem.

Umm ok... guess i havent been keeping good tracking records, but i did use your latest release of TibEd 2 beta 5f.

now as for the version of the Mod SDK... i havent got a clue.. yet... still looking... i got no idea where to find the version of the Mod SDK (i may have renamed the files when i downloaded them, bad habit of mine)

posting the mod itself, umm will get too it... soon..

Funkylok, I've found the problem. At least, I think so. TibEd 2 would read the XML files from the Mod SDK you have installed on your machine. If this version was not v5, then when compiling the mod, it would conflict with the XML Schemas of SDK v5. I've fixed this by always requiring TibEd to use MOD SDK v5. Unfortunately, that will not fix existing mods...

In the process, I found out that I didn't actually ship one of the updated files (for the ModFileSystem bugfix). I've updated the beta 5f download with this new version. You can view the date mentioned in the readme: the hotfix is dated 02-05-2008.

Let me add to my post: I've fixed a bug, which might cause problems for some people. But I don't know if I've fixed the bug that Funkylok is having. Getting a copy of the TibEd 2 project might be useful for me (you can send it to me by e-mail), because then I can do a trail & error approach to tracking down the problem.

I know its too soon yet to aks this but I just got to say it will there be TibEd 2 for Kanes Wrath am sorry for aksing it but I just got to know.

Koen I am just downloading the stand alone Mod SDK v5.0, just to hope that having the latest might help overcome these problems, along with the latest release of version 5. Will know by the end of this weekend if this problem has been fixed or not, but this time if it doesn't i will email you directly the full mod files and logs docs. But i will also report back here if it all works too.

All the best

Lachlan

Be sure to also redownload beta 5f with the hotfix included. And I hope everything works now.

Let me add to my post: I've fixed a bug, which might cause problems for some people. But I don't know if I've fixed the bug that Funkylok is having. Getting a copy of the TibEd 2 project might be useful for me (you can send it to me by e-mail), because then I can do a trail & error approach to tracking down the problem.

when will you release the patch that will incorporate kanes revenge? I use tibed simply to rush through the story lines with bargain basement pricing and enemies who "couldnt afford" to issue weaponry to key personnel (i got sick of active obelisks one mission)

Koen,

I have again had a failed build... (you must be getting sick of me by now)

But this time, i have got all the files here to give you and all the information too.

Ok this was done on the new 5f with the hotfix, on mod SDK V5 (although my computer says it is version 1) this was done on windows xp

The zip file contains the mod i was working on in tibed2.

Now i hope with all this you will be able to figure out why it keeps failing to build the mod successfully.

Kindly

Lachlan

Fail_Build_Log___Delphi.txt

Fail_Build_Log___Python.txt

Tib3___GDI___Fun.zip

OK, found it:

- The TibEd Python log does not contain all the output of the BinaryAssetBuilder.exe (this is kind of weird... but I have experienced it myself sometimes). This seems like a come & go problem. Do not know how, when and if I can fix this.

- I got some more output than you did when building the project: there was a critical error with the define of UNLIMITED_CLIP_SIZE

It turns out that, while the Defines are now in the current place, TibEd forgets to add a <Include> for ModDefines.xml. But this only happens if the define was already moved to ModDefines.xml previously (e.g. it goes wrong when you edit the 2nd weapon, the first works fine). What is missing is:

<Includes>
        <Include
            source="DATA:GlobalData/GlobalDefines.xml"
            type="all" />
        <Include
            source="DATA:data/ModDefines.xml"
            type="all" />
    </Includes>

THe Include for ModDefines.xml will not be there for your WeaponTemplates. The easiest way to fix this is either to add it to all the weapons you have edited, or delete the WeaponTemplate files in the Project Explorer (you lose your changes to the weapons, but it is less tedious than adding the ModDefines.xml include everywhere and then missing one). I really hope this is the last I've seen of this bug ;)

Thanks a lot for providing the example project! That helps a lot when tracking stuff down!

If you download the updated version of beta 5f (hotfix 05-05-2008), then things will go right for new files.

when will you release the patch that will incorporate kanes revenge? I use tibed simply to rush through the story lines with bargain basement pricing and enemies who "couldnt afford" to issue weaponry to key personnel (i got sick of active obelisks one mission)

Unfortunately, I cannot make an editor until EA releases a Mod SDK for Kane's Wrath. Currently, they haven't even started on it yet. So it will be months before it becomes available. I wish I could do something to speed this up, but I can't :unsure:

Thank you Koen for all your hard and tedious work :D

I am looking forward to EA releasing the SDK for Kanes Wrath and the editor that may follw it so i can go crash testing again.

Kindly

Lachlan