Saracen

A Piece of my childhood burns to the ground!

This afternoon came the News that most members of this Campaign hoped we would never hear. A fire has partially destroyed the Scenic Railway at Dreamland Margate, the UK's oldest roller coaster and a Grade II listed building.

Approximately 25% of the structure (the main lift hill and much of the central part of the ride) has been lost, and so has the workshop, which housed all the original trains.

Sarah Vickery and Dave Collard were on site swiftly to find the flames beginning to engulf the Station:

"Fires in Margate are not a rare occurrence and it's not the first time I've been told the Scenic was on fire," said Vickery. "So I was a bit sceptical at first to be honest. But as soon as we saw the smoke from the seafront we both knew it was the Scenic. I must admit, I cried."

I had lived in Margate for 18 years of my life, and this news is just devastating... I loved this roller coaster and it had an undeniable charm to it and everyone who has ever taken a ride on it since 1920... Many roller coaster enthusiasts around the world loved this ride as well. It was the town's last remaining icon, and was often referred to as the "Jewel of the Thanet District", and now a huge chunk of it is reduced to ash! For those who know of Only fools and horses (a great British Comedy) the roller coaster was also featured in one episode as well (1:09 mark)...

The ride was owned by a certain Jimmy Godden... who owns many businesses... some of which are:

• 2 HIGH QUALITY HOTELS
  • PLEASURAMA AMUSEMENT ARCADE - RAMSGATE
  • MR G'S AMUSEMENT ARCADE - MARGATE
  • TIVOLI AMUSEMENT ARCADE - MARGATE (Burnt down last week!)
  • ROTUNDA FUN PARK- FOLKESTONE (In the town where Cabal of CNC World lives)

All of which surprise surprise, have also been burnt to the ground as well... It's arson by his cold hands I tell ya!

More info on the news located here.

someone really doesn't like that guy :S

Yeah it sucks when things like that go up in smoke. A pitty really as they're gone forever now. :(

Oh well, make room for Superman comes to England! :P

Sorry, I didn't mean to degrade your childhood, but there's obviously some big shoes to fill. Maybe they can repair it? Either that or something really spectacular will have to replace it to retain some sentimentality. :nod:

i'm still stuck in my mental childhood and the southend pier got burnt down (for a second or third time. yet they still rebuild it with wood... am i the only one noticing a problem there?) and i remember seeing it on fire when i went down ._. longest pier in the world too... they've rebuilt it since then though. and given the whole pier area a whole new fancy revamped future look o.o which is kinda pretty i guess... though to be honest at the time it wasn't so much of a "omg it's burning noooo" more of a "oh freakin awesome... this is gonna be in the paper and i'm here! wait... what happens if i get busted for arson?" XD

A Strange set of coincidences. Sounds like a badass coaster. Sorry for your loss.

All wooden coasters are badass, especially the ones at Heryshey Park in Hershey,PA,US (plus all the candy is sold at like half price :D)

wooden roller coasters are scarier. you hear the wood groaning underneith the cart as you're going up XD; not the sound you wanna hear when you're that high from the ground on a deathtrap XDDD yet it's usually the metal ones that go wrong o.O go figure. well. that's probably not true... we only hear about the metal ones going wrong. i guess it's just expected with wooden ones so it's not as much news worthy o.o;;;

I agree wooden ones are just so much more fun, and hurt more.

But pain is good so I always like wooden ones they just seem to have more, "soul" if I can use that word. :)

for once i agree with you xD though i feel safer on metal ones. though that's not really the point on a roller coaster is it? XD

Anyone an everyone is a suspect emot-ninja.gif

Cept me since I'm like on the other side of the planet. :P

denial is the first sign of guilt >-> *watches luk3us get arrested and carted away* XP

*laughs as Luk3us screams "I didn't do it" from behind bars of the jailwagon*

Dang, they burnt Pleasurama down. That place sounded like fun.