Sign in to follow this  
vyper

Red Alert and the batman franchise

Well it seems red alert is gonna have a really campy feel to it. A word of caution to EA regarding this : The batman movies started out as really serious but as the franchise moved on , they just got campier and campier and the essence of batman was lost. Thankfully , warnerbros realized their mistake and revamped the series with batman begins. I hope that EA doesnt make the same mistake cause ultimately, red alert is a serious game..... its a fusion of sci-fi and alternate reality...kind of like a different take on history.......but definitely not the kind that you would see in something like ' meet the spartans '.

It's crap doc.

I see what you mean and I agree vyper. Kinda hoped C&C3 would have been as good as TS. But it just didn't.

It's like boiling soup on a bone for too long and the soup gets nasty.

Meet The Spartans was awesome. What are you talking about? :P

I disagree though. With the inclusion of Red Alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge into the universe, RA has taken on a lighter air which a good thing. Franchises that are too serious get a little stale after a while so a comical, laid back game is a nice change of scenery from something dark and brooding.

I tend to agree with DD on this one. As long as they don't go too far with the concept it should be fine. Besides we always have the Tiberium Universe for seriousness.

pish RA3 will be fine... they can't really make it much sillier so no worries about that. RA2 and YR were good as silly as they were o.o it made for a good game. and besides, you can't deny the original batman tv series was awesome xD ZAP! BAM! POW! XD camp, very. but still very awesome xD it all just depends on your perspective. if you take something too seriously you'll be disappointed if there is so much as a hint of a joke... besides, the more you make of something the more chance there is going to be a parody or comedy spinoff.

Me iz having teh feeling that RA3 would be rocking, but Tiberium, ermmm I have no good feeling bout it.

i'm not saying that red alert is not going to be good. Obviously everyone on these boards is gonna buy it. All i'm saying is that there is a serious dimension to this game as well which has some real sci-fi potential, which should definitely not be ignored. This much is clear that EA are throwing in alot of campiness. I want that to be balanced by some serious stuff so that the feel of Red Alert 3 is like an action/sci-fi movie with a bit of humor thrown in, but what I dont want is for Red alert 3 to be in the 'spoof/comedy' genre.

I think that it is the bit of campiness that made Red Alert 2 so successful (both fans and non-fans)... Alot of my friends (non-C&C fans) all quoted Red Alert 2 as their favorite C&C game. It was light and plain fun...and that's what attracted the mass...

i'm not saying that red alert is not going to be good. Obviously everyone on these boards is gonna buy it. All i'm saying is that there is a serious dimension to this game as well which has some real sci-fi potential, which should definitely not be ignored. This much is clear that EA are throwing in alot of campiness. I want that to be balanced by some serious stuff so that the feel of Red Alert 3 is like an action/sci-fi movie with a bit of humor thrown in, but what I dont want is for Red alert 3 to be in the 'spoof/comedy' genre.

There's no going back now. Red Alert holds the light-hearted portion of the C&C series, which is a good thing. Every series this large needs a gag game or a gag universe thrown in to keep the series as a whole from getting stale. If RA2 was like Red Alert, it wouldn't have been nearly as successful. The goofy **** they did with it made the game interesting to play and it kept your attention longer than a drawn out campaign like Tiberian Sun. If they try to turn back, that will disrupt the flow RA2 has now established.

I want another goofy ****ing' game with all kinds of gag humor thrown in while continuing the series in some form or another.

ditto. we need the Ra series as goofy games o.o it's what makes them so fun xD

Guest Rabbit

Plus, Red Alert had it's goofy moments too. Skirmishes maps with crazy armored civilians, chasing spies, Tanya's lines, etc. It wasn't as out there as Red Alert 2, but it WAS there.

agreed xD but then again RA1 tanya was plain scary >>; big butch lesbian XD; i thought she was rambo first time i saw the picture

yeah, red alert had its moments , and theres nothing wrong with that....... but those moments didnt come at the expense of the sci-fi story line. Maybe you guys are right that red alert should portray the goofy side of C&C to keep the franchise diverse, but look, I certainly dont want red alert 3 to be C&C Retarded 3.0.

And there is a reason that the topic refers to the batman franchise because that is like a case study for this kind of situation.

my point exactly. i already refered to the original series o.o it was awesome XD sure, camp as hell and tacky... but it ruled XD and the original batman movie (not the one with jack nicholson as the joker. the original tv series movie)

"Batman: [reading a riddle] What has yellow skin and writes?

Robin: A ball-point banana!

Batman: [reads the second riddle] What people are always in a hurry?

Robin: Rushing people... Russians!

Batman: So this means...

Robin: Someone Russian is going to slip on a banana and break their neck!

Batman: Precisely, Robin! "

XDDD and

"Robin: [sees a shark attached to Batman's leg] Holy sardine!

Batman: Hand down the shark repellent Batspray! "

that movie was epic XD

if you can't find it on one of those semi-legal internet movie sites, i'd guess you'd have to buy it from like, amazon or something o.o but they should have it... somewhere. full title is "Batman: The Movie" circa 1966 o.o and you can recognize the box cover from the bright trippy colours xD

No doubt the old ' bang POW ' stuff is entertaining, but that was back in the 60s when comics were perceived as being for kids only........ anyway, warner tried to do the same tihng with the 90s movies and nearly killed off the franchise because you cant deny the fact that the basis for batman is something really dark and serious. you just cant ignore that.

Similarly you have red alert. Ok its not as dark or serious as batman ( and shouldnt be ), but its not totally retarded either. A balance needs to be struck. I just hope that EA doesnt ignore the origins of the Red Alert universe just like Warner ignored the origins of batman.

you just contradicted yourself o.O back when batman started it was in comic books. for kids. sure, it's designed to be dark but it isn't meant to be -that- dark... it was originally kids stuff o.o like the warner movies... it's only recently that batman became an adult thing, pretty much when the jack nicholson movie came out. and RA3 needs to be like RA2... it needs to continue the pattern. we -don't- want one like RA1... RA1 was much more serious and we have all the other C&C games for that. we want silly and fun. it's the only game part of the whole C&C series that is that silly, why do you have to complain about it?

Everyone has to bitch about something. Not to mention, this is his way of kicking EA in the balls.

nah, i'm not an ea-basher. No matter which way EA go with this, i am gonna buy and enjoy red alert 3. every C&C fan loved RA2 regardless of whether they thought it should be wacky or serious becuase of the super gameplay, and i am not an exception..... but that doesnt mean that some fans didnt prefer serious. Anyway, I fully support EA and i honestly dont doubt their commitment to making a great game.

*snorts and bursts out laughing* EA... commitment... bwahaha... oh wait... you were serious? ... ... ... just don't get your hopes up too high there kiddo n_n;