Sign in to follow this  
MB

Using FinalBIG editor succesfully?

Hi. Right... now with editors and ini-files in previous C&C games, I never had a problem figuring out for myself how I was supposed to edit, but now I feel like a noob, and might well be, so my question is: how do I edit the ini-files (within the big-files)? Is FinalBig editor the best tool? Why is unit buildtime (for example) not affected after I have changed its value in the ini-file? I have tried editing in FinalBIG's inbuilt edit mode, tried extracting ini-files to edit them in notepad instead, and then putting them back in the big-file, and with the latter method, I did at least succeed in changing weapons damage, but not unit buildtime. My guess is that I'm not editing the right files, or that I'm doing something wrong in putting the files back in. Is unit buildtime dependent on several ini-files? Does it have something to do with the fact that a specific unit can be described in several ini-files, since there are several types of generals for each country? Or don't I have a clue yet? Any help is appreciated. While waiting - I'll go back and work on this...

/Martin

I just use finalbig to extract them to somewhere, then edit the files with notepad. Once you extract the big files, you don't need to compile them back since if you put them in right folders (you need to manually make many of them) the game will read them before the original big files.