Sign in to follow this  
Guest Suragai

Problems with Zero Hour CDs

Guest Suragai

Hi all, my first post here.

Has anyone who has received ZH had any problems with the CD? I can install fine and browse the CD fine, but when I try to play I get the ZH splash screen and "Please insert the correct CD-ROM". I took it back to the shop and swapped disks - same thing. I am running a legit copy of Generals, which is working normally, and my PC is way over the recommended specs.

My feeling is that it may be a copy protection issue, but I have never had problems with this before. My DVD and CD-RW drives both give the same error. They are both Asus, which is a fairly common brand - has anyone who has been able to play done so in an Asus CD/DVD?

TIA,

Suragai

Hi all, my first post here.

Has anyone who has received ZH had any problems with the CD? I can install fine and browse the CD fine, but when I try to play I get the ZH splash screen and "Please insert the correct CD-ROM". I took it back to the shop and swapped disks - same thing. I am running a legit copy of Generals, which is working normally, and my PC is way over the recommended specs.

My feeling is that it may be a copy protection issue, but I have never had problems with this before. My DVD and CD-RW drives both give the same error. They are both Asus, which is a fairly common brand - has anyone who has been able to play done so in an Asus CD/DVD?

TIA,

Suragai

Welcome Suragai :)

I had this problem w/ Generals, ages ago...........a reformat fixed it.....but I doubt you'll want to do that ;)

Ask In our tech forums, and if you don't seem to get a fix out of there, contact EA's support people. :)

Also nice to have another Wellingtonian here :D

Guest MachineDoctor

This may sound stupid but I have to ask the obvious question:

Did you put CD # 1 back in the drive after you finished installing the game?

To start the game Disk 1 needs to be in the Drive.

Guest Suragai

Heh, fair enough MD, but the answer was "Yes" - in fact I tried with both disk one and two.

I have found a work-around, by using a dubious program - but I imagine that I won't be able to play online with it, as the generals.exe and game.dat are both edited. P***es me off when I have to have programs edit legit games to play them :(

I've seen several posts on the official forum from people with the same problem, any Kiwis run into it other than me?

Cheers,

Suragai

Edited by DeadEye - Removed the offending words & origin of the editor

I've seen several posts on the official forum from people with the same problem, any Kiwis run into it other than me?

No problems for me and I'm NZ, perhaps a re-install of Generals and then try installing Zero Hour may help.

Thanks Sonic, I have already tried that several times, using both the plain install of Generals and the 1.6 patched version - no dice. I've been doing Tech Support for the last 7 or so years, so I've tried all the normal stuff, up to and including clearing any mention of either game from the registry and retrying. Short of a clean format and re-install of everything (not going to happen) I don't see much else I can do.

/e Glares at Deadeye. Please not that using a program to disable or route around copy protection that does not work and that probably breaks the law in NZ (Consumer Guarantees for example) is not "Dubious" to my mind. Releasing a product that puts it's purchaser in that position is.

Cheers all, and enjoy the game,

Suragai

/e Glares at Deadeye. Please not that using a program to disable or route around copy protection that does not work and that probably breaks the law in NZ (Consumer Guarantees for example) is not "Dubious" to my mind. Releasing a product that puts it's purchaser in that position is.

Suragai

I was merely removing what you used and where you got it from. :P

Dubious to me, not dubious to you, - ah well. :)

If it does break the Consumer Guarantees Act, contact the commerce commission :arrow: put the wind up them :P

I have found a work-around, by using a dubious program - but I imagine that I won't be able to play online with it, as the generals.exe and game.dat are both edited. P***es me off when I have to have programs edit legit games to play them :(

This is not true AFAIK. As long as you have a legal installation key, the No-CD version of the game will play online. I have used a No-CD for Generals and I own the full version (because hey - I'm to lazy to put that CD in the drive everytime, while the game doesn't load anything from there). But I did not play online with that - I've never played Generals Online for that matter. But I think it should be OK. Until there is a game update at GOL ;)