Sign in to follow this  
Luk3us

Homeless first class travel!

NYC offers free airfare to homeless to leave city

NEW YORK – New York City is buying one-way plane tickets for homeless families to leave the city.

It's part of a Bloomberg administration program to keep the homeless out of the expensive shelter system, which costs $36,000 a year per family. More than 550 families have left the city since 2007. All it takes is for a relative to agree to take them in.

The city employs a travel agency for domestic travel and the Department of Homeless Services handles international travel.

City officials say there are no limits on where a family can be sent and families can reject the offer.

Families have been sent to 24 states and five continents, mostly to Puerto Rico, Florida, Georgia and the Carolinas.

City officials say none of the relocated families have returned to city shelters.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090729/ap_on_...kBJuEItkCUDW7oF

I thought this was hilarious when I first read it. But if you think about it, its not a bad way of dealing with the homeless problem. Until of course organ harvesting becomes legal that is. :P

Funny but excellent method to get rid of the lazy homeless folks. I won't be surprise if this method doesn't work out, because some of them would proabbaly be too lazy to think of travelling elsewhere.

They could also be used as a solution to the US's seemingly ever growing energy needs :evil: