LJ-38M

Emperor - Unit Veterancy

Hi, everyone. It's been a while since I've done any of my amateur modding, but I'm getting back to it... ;)

I more or less know my way around TibEd and this time I'm challenging myself with Emperor: Battle For Dune, to significantly alter the dynamics of the game by increasing the capabilities and deadliness of all units and stationary weapons. I am even trying to figure out a way to add my own sound effects; for example, making the sniper rifle more audible. But first things first: right now I have a few doubts about veterancy.

With the current TibEd version, editing the unit veterancy parameters is only possible manually. Here's an example of the code I'm about to try: it's for the Harkonnen Light Infantry.

VeterancyLevel = 4

ExtraDamage = 25

ExtraRange = 25

ExtraArmour = 25

TurnRate=0.225

ViewRange = 12

Health=525

VeterancyLevel = 12

ExtraDamage = 25

ExtraRange = 25

ExtraArmour = 25

TurnRate=0.25

ViewRange = 13

Health=575

VeterancyLevel = 18

ExtraDamage = 25

ExtraRange = 25

ExtraArmour = 25

TurnRate=0.275

ViewRange = 14

Health=625

Speed=6.0

CanSelfRepair = 1

So what I'm trying to do here is to make the soldier react faster by turning faster to shoot, see a bit further (basic ViewRange is 11) and get 50 extra health points (starts at 475) with each veterancy step. I also want him to run a bit faster (original Speed is 5.5) and be able to heal himself on the last level. So far so good, I think.

But I would also like to gradually increase the soldier's damage, range and armour by 25% with each promotion. I figured out these "extra" values are percentages of the damage, range and armour values. So, for example, if the soldier's original damage were to be 100 points, he would have (100 * 125% =) 125 points on the first level, then (125 * 125% =) 156.25%, and then (156.25 * 125% =) 195.3125 points. Is this correct?

Also, does anybody exactly how the VeterancyLevel parameter works? I'm not sure I got it.

Sorry about the nerdy post but I'm an aspirant game designer and setting everything up to figure out these exact values just by testing the game might be hard work... :lol: