Sign in to follow this  
KorJax

Renegade fails to start!

Heres my problem: whenver i try to start renegade it comes up with an "illegal operation" error with the WWConfig file. These (from my experience) are usually tied to a program causeing it to fail, a corrupt file, ect. Also, the WWConfig file works fine when i take it and its corrisponding *.DLL file out of the Renegade folder.

I have re-installed, deleted the folder and installed (installing was done through add/remove) it twice, ect.

I have all of the recommended specs, the installing runs perfectly and the intro movie for the install runs smooth, and ect. I have the latest version of DX too. Also, it isnt just Renegade that fails to start it is everything Renegade related (such as the options or updater) that fails. I have the most recent VB Runtimes too.

How do i fix this??

the links from the game are outdated. update it manually.

This is what i do:

install game. install patch. run mult. practice to put in ini files in data folder. install renguard. install core patch 1. install map packs 1-6b. replace scripts. dll file with latest 1. play game. No problems like that.

Ok, im pretty new to Renegade, could you please specify what you mean by "Renguard" and multi. practace, ect?? Links? Where to get them, what are they, ect....? :?

Thanks.

Renguard is the anti-cheat software that was developed for renegade. u can get it at www.renguard.com . many servers want u to have this. multiplayer practice is on the main menu of the game. just play it or run it so that the .ini files set-up in folder in the game files. u can find the map packs 1-6b at www.unrules.com.

Yes, but unfortunatly (if you read my post wrong) i cannot even start up Renegade (and any Renegade TCs). I just recently learned that its not WWConfig that is the problem, its the file MSS32.DLL. But both work fine as long as its not in the Renegade folder, which leads me to suspect that there is a file in the Renegade folder or data folder which is screwing things up :?

so patch up the game before playing it. the patch is avaialble here

Thats my point. It IS patched. It doesnt work eaither way, patched or non patched.

my friend had error that sounds like that for ra2 though. he ended up formatting his hd to ge t it to work again. just a though, not a good one, but still.

OK i figured out what the problem is. My copy of Renegade installs the WWConfig file on my HD incorrectly, so WWConfig doesnt work when running in the renegade folder. Someone I know has the same exact problem too.

I figured, "Well... it only opens WWConfig to configure the game, so mabey if the config file for the game is already there, the game will think that its already configured, and it wont try and open WWConfig".

If i am right, then could someone send me a copy of their config file, or make a new one for me? Doing this wont make the WWConfig file to pop up, and thus ill FINALLY be able to play renegade.

OK i figured out what the problem is. My copy of Renegade installs the WWConfig file on my HD incorrectly, so WWConfig doesnt work when running in the renegade folder. Someone I know has the same exact problem too.

I figured, "Well... it only opens WWConfig to configure the game, so mabey if the config file for the game is already there, the game will think that its already configured, and it wont try and open WWConfig".

If i am right, then could someone send me a copy of their config file, or make a new one for me? Doing this wont make the WWConfig file to pop up, and thus ill FINALLY be able to play renegade.