Sign in to follow this  
Lavindathar

C&C Gold Problems

I'm running C&C Gold (win95) on XP-SP2.

The install and game runs fine, except when someone goes to the top left corner of the screen.

As soon as it goes up there, I get an error.

Any ideas as to what is going on?

Hi!

I have the exactly same problem, but for me, it is enough to jam the game when you get any unit anywhere on the top side of the map (one unit from the border). After this happens, you will hear "boink"-sound, and the game jams. Windows gives you some kind of memory error.

Before I aplied the "compatibility mode for win95", C&C didn't even start to run. It gave the same error message I mentioned when I tried to start it.

Now, what would be the "core of the problem" ( :lol: ) and what could be done to fix it? I don't really know! I have tried all the settings found under "compatibility"-tab in the C&C.exe properties, no effect whatsoever.

I also have tried to patch the game with equally poor effects.

Only solution I see this far is to install win 95 with some kind of multiboot, so you could run either winXP or win95.

These instructions cover only installing :x

Our problem is the game itself, the way it behaves when ve are playing it

It just crashes in the middle of a game sesion, whenever one of your unit reaches the uppermost (northern) border of the map. This is particularly frustrating in missions you are supposed to start from the uppermost border :evil:

I suppose you could buy the TFD pack. Its not that expensive and comes with a lot of old games that work fine on XP...

Even if that bonus DVD is utter crap... :evil:

Hey fellas worry no more....i may have the solution u need. I 2 had the problem and i got onto EA about it...eventually we sussed it out. The easiest way to fix it is to end the process "ctfmon.exe" in the task manager. For a more permanent fix try this:

1. Quit all Office programs.

2. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel. NOTE: In Windows XP, click Start and then click Control Panel.

3. In Control Panel, double-click Add/Remove Programs.NOTE: In Windows XP, click Add or Remove Programs.

4. In the Currently installed programs list, click to select Microsoft Office XP product, where Office XP product is the name of the specific Office product being used. If you are using a standalone version of one of the Office programs, click to select the appropriate product in the list. Click Change.

5. In the Maintenance Mode Options dialog box, select Add or Remove Features, and then click Next. This displays the Choose installation options for all Office applications and tools dialog box.

6. Click the plus sign (+) next to Office Shared Features to expand it.

7. Click the icon next to Alternative User Input, and then select Not Available.

8. Click Update.

If that dont work:

Go to Regional and Language settings in control panel. Click Languages tab, then Details. Click Advanced then tick the box that disables advanced text services.

And if that dont work:

Just make sure before u run C & C that the process "ctfmon.exe" is no longer running in the task manager.

Good Luck

Hey guys.. sorry for major thread digging. I've been searching all over google for the solution to my C&C95 problem. It seems I have the same problem as described here.

At the very start of NOD mission 9 (just after getting the flame tank clip) I get the "boink" sound and get an error.

I've tried all the above methods to no avail :( anyone got any ideas ?!

I've downloaded GDI and NOD ISO and burned them to CD. I'm using Windows XP SP2. Even though I've right clicked properties of Setup.exe or Install.exe to check the compatability checkbox and chose Windows 95, I still get the "not a valid win32 application" error.

Any help will be appreciated.

I've downloaded GDI and NOD ISO and burned them to CD. I'm using Windows XP SP2. Even though I've right clicked properties of Setup.exe or Install.exe to check the compatability checkbox and chose Windows 95, I still get the "not a valid win32 application" error.

Any help will be appreciated.

Make sure you do that to all executables.

Thanks for your advice. I've followed it but the "invalid win32 application" error still persists even after checking all the checkboxes of all the .exe files to Windows 95.

Make sure the "no advanced text services" and "256 colors" box are checked (also in the compatibility tab).

Download an place into the C&C folder:

http://www.fileshack.com/file.x/610/Comman...+Win2K/XP+patch

If your install still doesn't work, also check "no visual themes" in compatibility.

I've checked "no visual themes" too and it still can't work.

Anyway, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the patch was meant to be put into the folder after installation?

Yeah

I'm outta ideas :x

It's alright. Thanks for your help so far. I appreciate it. :)

Hey guys.. sorry for major thread digging. I've been searching all over google for the solution to my C&C95 problem. It seems I have the same problem as described here.

At the very start of NOD mission 9 (just after getting the flame tank clip) I get the "boink" sound and get an error.

I've tried all the above methods to no avail :( anyone got any ideas ?!

The only way I know of to stop this crash is to update the game to an unofficial 1.05a patch that corrects this and other compatibilty issues.

I have updated my game and it works fine now

I got the file from this site for anyone who wants to try.

http://www.vk.cncguild.net/MISC/TD105UPD.exe

Edited by Sonic