Sign in to follow this  
Gben

APB Blog 19/8/07

http://www.apathbeyond.com/forum/index.php...=14245&st=0

While I wait for APB to give me posting permission, and for Sonic to add the blog update to the news section... can I get this off my chest?

As an interested but unskilled APB player, barely more than a noob, it was great news to hear about the tutorials.

I think any and every tool you can devise to mentor the nub into the elite will be the key to the mod's longevity. Even if you created a "apb for dummies" youtube section rather than include files with mod, would be great. If you want the mod to thrive, you need to attract new players and keep them. If you want them to stay, you need to help them/us grow into mature players who understand the nuances of the game mechanics.

There's nothing worse that one group of players experimenting, and the other group trying to have a serious game. With only one server to play on, and little control over the MP practise.... well what's a noob to do?

---

Have you considered 'playground' duty for the staff and veteran players?

This would be a case where you launch a secondary server, specifically for training or master-coaching of newbies. These would be unranked matches, where the scores and stats don't affect your actual ranking. Veteran players are in the games as 'drill instructors' with the primary purpose of assisting and teaching other team players not get the MVP. I mean it's one thing to watch a tutorial, but it's another thing to practise, in a live situation.

I am thinking that you could schedule these on a regular basis, like once a month, rather than a perpetual thing. And rotate the mentoring among the staff/experts. Advertising on here on the forums and stuff. (You could even award a basic training medal to the noobs who pass your one-on-one training - maybe that could be incorporated into your SP tutorial mission idea???).

I always enjoy reading about the progress of the mod.

Keep it up.

Anyway, I just want a tutorial telling me how to kill people because I'm terrible at it!

:)

-gben

Thanks for caring! And 2 days after writing this note and saving it, I could have saved my fingers the hassle and just said - we need an official non-ranked server to practise!

Older, and somewhat wiser.

-gben

that would be cool, as long as there are enough noobs to populate the server a bit

mormreed]that would be cool, as long as there are enough noobs to populate the server a bit

well if they kept them as something like 1 day in 30, I think it would be cool. They could just advertise on their forums, and maybe have a signup process for interest...

Of course a non-ranked server where 'expert' players go to teach not to win would be simplest and easiest to achieve most probably.

-gben

yeah that sounds awesome, just make sure there are a bunch of mods to keep teams even (as in skill-wise)

Well now that beta is a planned release in just a few days, maybe I can start thinking more about the 'training' side of APB.

If there's going to be more than one server up, then it's certainly looks possible/promising for a tutorial server of sorts to be possible.

Just need to lobby some of the mods/staff to participate (if they don't do their own version).

Anyway I haven't forgotten, just busy in RL.

-gben

yeah too bad the servers are ridiculously laggy :P but that's a good thing we have huge games :D