KyleBrogan

Is it just me, or are the Scrin heavily overpowered?

I've only had Kane's Wrath for a couple of weeks, but I have finished the SP Campaign, and have beaten the Global Conquest mode with GDI. But as I've been playing through the Skirmish maps, I've noticed that the Scrin seem extremely overpowered when compared to the other factions. Here are my concerns, and please let me know if I'm justified or if I just need to suck it up and play more and stop complaining. <grin>

1) Air Force - With the addition of the Slingshot, I believed that GDI finally had a chance at keeping Scrin air units at bay, but that's not nearly the case. A single Devastator can chuck his little disks at a group of three or four, and nearly wipe them out in one volley. Add to that the fact that the Devastator can safely stay out of range of any anti-air unit in the game, and you've got a unit that seems pretty out-of-whack. Either the Slingshot needs more armor, or MORE RANGE, or the Devastator's range or attack power should be toned down.

2) Disintegrators - Solo forces of these units tear through literally anything. One-on-one against other infantry, and they just lay waste. Compare their attacking power to the Missile Defenders of GDI or Nod, and you'll notice they just tear through everything. I've watched two or three squads of these little suckers tear a MARV to shreds faster than anything else. Compare that to the lackluster performance of the missiles, and I think they're overpowered.

3) The Hexapod - In the same vein as the Devastator, the Hexapod seems to also be pretty overpowering, with a similar weapon-style. Though the weapon isn't exactly "accurate", it's devastating to grouped units or any structure. Compare a single Hexapod volley to the MARV cannon's three strikes, and you'll notice who's deadlier. I've had a fully-loaded MARV (two Engineers, two Zone Troopers), leveled-up to Star-Veteran, and a brand-new Hexapod took it out one-on-one. That just doesn't seem right to me.

So, what's the verdict? Am I just blowing steam? Or are these valid? Or is the key of the game just to rush every single game so that the new powerful units never see the light of day?

1) Devastators do a lot more damage to tanks and units from TW they tweaked it, for the worse imo. But that being said, its not that bad really, Firehawks are good at killing them. Slingshots seem to be alright in suitable numbers, but by themselves they tend to scuk imo.

2) They're a mele unit which means all you have to do is keep your tanks away from them, buggies for example can run circles round them, this also applies to gunwalkers and APCs.

3) I don't have any experience with these things as GDI, as Nod though its not a problem, Stanks FTW!

I'm amazed you didn't mention the Mechapede, now that things is OP. Its not even worth playing 2v2s cause if anyone goes as a Scrin faction, you are guaranteed that he'll spam Mechapedes and its GG.

Edited by Luk3us

I've only had Kane's Wrath for a couple of weeks, but I have finished the SP Campaign, and have beaten the Global Conquest mode with GDI. But as I've been playing through the Skirmish maps, I've noticed that the Scrin seem extremely overpowered when compared to the other factions. Here are my concerns, and please let me know if I'm justified or if I just need to suck it up and play more and stop complaining. <grin>

1) Air Force - With the addition of the Slingshot, I believed that GDI finally had a chance at keeping Scrin air units at bay, but that's not nearly the case. A single Devastator can chuck his little disks at a group of three or four, and nearly wipe them out in one volley. Add to that the fact that the Devastator can safely stay out of range of any anti-air unit in the game, and you've got a unit that seems pretty out-of-whack. Either the Slingshot needs more armor, or MORE RANGE, or the Devastator's range or attack power should be toned down.

2) Disintegrators - Solo forces of these units tear through literally anything. One-on-one against other infantry, and they just lay waste. Compare their attacking power to the Missile Defenders of GDI or Nod, and you'll notice they just tear through everything. I've watched two or three squads of these little suckers tear a MARV to shreds faster than anything else. Compare that to the lackluster performance of the missiles, and I think they're overpowered.

3) The Hexapod - In the same vein as the Devastator, the Hexapod seems to also be pretty overpowering, with a similar weapon-style. Though the weapon isn't exactly "accurate", it's devastating to grouped units or any structure. Compare a single Hexapod volley to the MARV cannon's three strikes, and you'll notice who's deadlier. I've had a fully-loaded MARV (two Engineers, two Zone Troopers), leveled-up to Star-Veteran, and a brand-new Hexapod took it out one-on-one. That just doesn't seem right to me.

So, what's the verdict? Am I just blowing steam? Or are these valid? Or is the key of the game just to rush every single game so that the new powerful units never see the light of day?

Hm...That thing you sayd, that usual Eradicator won star MARV seems quite impossible to me but if your MARV had allready taken a lot of damage before fight, then it could be possible.

I'm amazed you didn't mention the Mechapede, now that things is OP. Its not even worth playing 2v2s cause if anyone goes as a Scrin faction, you are guaranteed that he'll spam Mechapedes and its GG.

I actually haven't played KW in a while... and in my short run I never encountered the mechapede. Hearing they were overpowered, I fired up skirmish to test them out before RL has taken control of my gaming time.

I wondering if a suitable nerf would simply be a speed decrease with each segment?

What else can they do? I'm looking for creative non-numerical balance suggestions - ie. decrease armour by X

Yeah, they're going with a speed decrease, a disinteragtor nerf, and a segment cost increase.

All it needs is the first two really, the last one is overkill but this eh, I don't care, nerf the ****er to hell. :D

if it was a NOD mechapede... I'm sure your attitude would be completely different!

;)

Fortunately that is not the case now is it? :P