Sign in to follow this  
Traymen

Polish localisation of C&C 95

Hi,

As we talked in another topic, Neyrguds - here are some Polish localisation files.

I would like to apologise for misunderstanding which occurred with font theme - i was wrong, so sorry once again. Also, i am thankful for Your interest in polish localisation. You're GREAT :).

Here You got Polish localisation files:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/cgxd0l

Thanks once again :)

Ah, nice! If possible, could you get me the text for conquer.eng with polish diacritics too? I can fix the fonts and make it all look perfect ingame.

You can use this file as base, to make sure you got all the extra text I added in v1.06:

http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/cnc95upd/cc95p106/language/conquer.txt

The mission.ini is missing the translations of the Covert Operations briefings though. You can find a full mission.ini here:

http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/cnc95upd/cc95p106/language/missionini_briefings.txt

(There's more useful stuff in that folder. See adding_a_language.txt for more detail... though I'll handle it for now. I may want to ask you more details later though, like translations for the "primary" for Primary Building, and the sell/repair/map buttons)

On a related note, what text encoding does that use? It seems to be Windows 1250 (Central European), but I'm not sure. Could you please open that file in Notepad, and use "Save As" to re-save it with the text encoding put on UTF-8?

Okay, I did all of translations in *mission.ini* with suggestions made by You (such as UTF-8).

http://www.sendspace.com/file/i80xxy

As the matter of *conquer.eng*:

I have a problem with making changes (diacritcial marks). There are no fonts for InGameStrings.exe so can i send it to You in *.txt file?

Thanks for everything,

Traymen

Yes, send it as text. Download the conquer.txt I linked to as base to make sure you have all the strings at the end (my patch adds new ones)

I'll worry about the diacritics. It'll never look right in the strings editor, but I can make sure it looks right ingame.

Nice! I'll see if I can get it all packed together this weekend :)

Thanks for everything. I am keeping thumbs that everything goes well.

I just took a quick look... there's a DOS text encoding for Central European (DOS-852), which contains all diacritics characters you used in the translation. This means conversion should be a simple matter of converting the files to that DOS text encoding, and making the new font to correspond with DOS-852 :)

The "STOP" string is missing from the strings file (line 184)... the entire line is just gone. This was for the music controls. Can you tell me what to put there? Or is it just "STOP"?

[edit]

Nevermind, I checked the conquer.eng you sent the first time, and it just says "STOP", so I'll use that ;)

[edit again]

The "Mission Accomplished" and "Mission failed" lines are both split in two parts. From your strings file, they'll show as "Misja Wykonana" and "Misja Nie Powiodła Się". Is this correct?

The values for each in conquer.eng are:

647 Mission

22 Accomplished

741 Mission

23 Failed

Note that the fonts used for this can't use diacritics, so I'll need them without diacritics.

Nevermind' date=' I checked the conquer.eng you sent the first time, and it just says "STOP", so I'll use that ;)[/quote']

Probably in every langauge "STOP" means the same. The influence of this word we can see on road signs :) It could be "Wstrzymaj" but it takes too much space.

The "Mission Accomplished" and "Mission failed" lines are both split in two parts. From your strings file' date=' they'll show as "Misja Wykonana" and "Misja Nie Powiodła Się". Is this correct?

[/quote']

Yes it is. In polish there is no word similiar to "fail". If it possible the "nie powiodła się" could be written w/o capitals? This is because "powiodła się" is in english it's past continous. "Powiodła" is a verb in the past tense and "się" locates that already happened. It looks very miserable when written in capitals :)

647 Mission

22 Accomplished

741 Mission

23 Failed

Note that the fonts used for this can't use diacritics' date=' so I'll need them without diacritics.[/quote']

So, lines 647 and 22 ("Misja" , "Wykonana") may stay as it look now. The problem may occur if You need those words in plural.

The line 23 may be translated also as "Niewykonana". It looks really terrible for Polish Studies, but i belive that this form in games is permissable.

If You have more questions feel free to ask :).

The "mission accomplished"/"mission failed" font only has capital letters, so it will be shown as full caps anyway. However, it can not have accents. For French they cheated their way around accents by putting a '/' on the line above the word, positioned above the letter that needed the accent, but that's as far as it can go.

These strings in the strings file are ONLY used for that text though, so you don't have to worry about other contexts.

So specifically, I need to know what it needs to look like, in all caps, without diacritics. That's all.

For the rest, since I'm going to do the full thing anyway, I'd like you to tell me what should come on the Sell/Repair/Map sidebar buttons, and the "primary" text to show on a "Primary Building". Keep in mind there's limited space on these buttons. I saw the strings file had "Sprzedaj" for "sell", so if that has some kind of acceptable abbreviated form, that would be handy. Note that these are graphics, not strings, so if it's really necessary I can squeeze them in by making the letters a bit more compact.

The "mission accomplished"/"mission failed" font only has capital letters' date=' so it will be shown as full caps anyway. However, it can not have accents. For French they cheated their way around accents by putting a '/' on the line above the word, positioned above the letter that needed the accent, but that's as far as it can go.[/quote']

OK, so let it be "Misja Wykonana" and "Misja Niewykonana". The first sentence is all right but translating "fail" is really tough. The most properly would be "Misja Zakończona Porażką" but it's too long. Also writing "Przegrałeś" ("You Loose") is too literal. The biggest problem in Polish is need of a verb and his reference to time (ended by "się").

But i think that nobody invents anything better. :)

For the rest' date=' since I'm going to do the full thing anyway, I'd like you to tell me what should come on the Sell/Repair/Map sidebar buttons[/quote']

The two last words are the easiest - just "Napraw" ("Repair") and "Mapa" ("Map"). Not much changes in sidebar :)

Because You said that the word must be as similar (in length) as in English, the most proper would be "Zbyj". But i have to add that "Zbyj" in this tense - in Polish - is not popular nowadays.

However, I think no one will hang cats on me for the word "Zbyj" :).

and the "primary" text to show on a "Primary Building".

I belive that "primary" in both sentences should be similar, but if there is no limit in the bracket for this word i have a proposition no. 1:

So to set "primary", the most adequate word is "Uprzywilej". In this case, the "Primary Building" would be "Uprzywilejowany Budynek".

This is the closest translation.

But if there is a limit for bracket here's proposition no.2:

"Primary" - "Główny"

"Primary Building" - "Główny Budynek"

But as i mentioned - the 1-st one is better :)

The Accomplished/failed font isn't really that big; "Misja zakończona porażką" wouldn't be too long, and I can always split it up in more lines by adding NewLine characters between it. The "Misja" part will always be on a separate line anyway.

But I can't do the diacritics, so what I really want to know is how you'd write that without diacritics. I know in German, if you can't use an umlaut, you add an e behind it, so for example, "gehört" would become "gehoert". Are there any similar rules in Polish?

As for the buttons, all of them have the same size, so the word doesn't really have to be the same size as the English one, it just has to be around the size of "repair". I just did a test, and "Sprzedaj" did fit on it, when I made the capital S a bit thinner :)

sell_pl.png

For the "primary"... I haven't checked it, but I think "uprzywilej" should do fine. Again, that's not actually text in the game, but UI graphics, so I can make some letters a bit thinner to make it fit if it's needed.

But I can't do the diacritics' date=' so what I really want to know is how you'd write that without diacritics

[/quote']

I'll show You something :).

Polish is something like French, but in the east. Polish "Żyropskop" means the same as French "Gyroscope". Even pronunciation is the same (http://translate.google.pl/?hl=pl&tab=wT#pl|fr|%C5%BCyroskop). But if You delete "Ż" in Polish You have "Zyropskop" and You speak it similar to French if You change "G" to "Z" in French.

There are no other rules to write Polish diacritics. This is not a big problem if You delete "ę" "ą" "ż" "ź" "ć" "ś" etc. The Poles know exactly how to spell "Zarżnąć" w/o diacritics.

I see. Still, that doesn't really answer my question, namely, what I should put in the game for "Misja zakończona porażką" without diacritics :P

I can probably fake the . and / ones on a new line, but not the ą.

I thought i had written it already :)

Posted Yesterday, 10:17 PM

The "mission accomplished"/"mission failed" font only has capital letters, so it will be shown as full caps anyway. However, it can not have accents. For French they cheated their way around accents by putting a '/' on the line above the word, positioned above the letter that needed the accent, but that's as far as it can go.

OK, so let it be "Misja Wykonana" and "Misja Niewykonana". The first sentence is all right but translating "fail" is really tough. The most properly would be "Misja Zakończona Porażką" but it's too long. Also writing "Przegrałeś" ("You Loose") is too literal. The biggest problem in Polish is need of a verb and his reference to time (ended by "się").

Mission Accomplished - Misja Wykonana

Mission Failed - Misja Przegrana

I have changed second sentence now. It better fits.

:)

Edited by Traymen

Oh. So you'd just shorten it then. Well, okay.

If it's a problem it may stay "Misja Nie Powiodla Sie". I was just looking for better inflect form.

Whatever you want is fine, I just wanted to make sure you realized that length is not a problem since I can do multiple lines, and diacritics of the type you put on top of letters (ż, ź, ć, ś) CAN perfectly be faked like the French version does it ;)

There's another thing I forgot though: the "On Hold" and "Ready" text for the sidebar icon statuses.

These can have words of about about 60 pixels wide (to compare, the text on the Sell button I showed is 42 pixels), can be put on multiple lines if your translation is more than 1 word, and like the sell/repair/map buttons they're pure graphics, so there's no real font-related limitations there.

^ Ignore this, I was wrong, there isn't much space to work with here. See my post below.

Woah, the pips shp file (which contains the primary/on hold/ready text) turns out to only be 38x8 pixels... so I took "GŁÓWNY" as "primary". The other simply didn't fit :(

[edit]

I started looking at the unit names (for making icons), and noticed some oddities...

• The Nod buggy was called "Teren. Nod". I did some research, and from what I can see it's probably short for "terenowy", short for "all-terrain vehicle", right? There's no real reason to abbreviate it here though; there are unit and structure names in the game that are a lot longer.
  • The SSM (surface-to-surface missile) Launcher is translated as "Wyrzutnia Kr. Zasięgu". Just out of curiosity, what would be the full word for that "Kr."?
  • The recon bike's translation ("Motocykl Zwiad.") ends on a dot, which made me think it was an abbeviation. But when I looked it up, it seems that it isn't an abbreviation at all, "Zwiad" just means "scout". I suppose the dot should be removed?

Some more remarks:

• Around 627 in the translations, "Air Strike", "Demolition" and "Untamed Land" are translated. Seeing as these are music track names, I suppose this is accidental? None of the other track titles are translated.
  • At the end of the music tracks there, the string #635, "Blossom Tree" is NOT translated. This is actually the name of the tiberium spawning tree ingame, so it should be translated. The name is actually meant as (cruel) joke, so it should really be translated as "blossoming tree", and not as "tiberium tree" or something ;)
  • The map text strings at 742-748 should be tested ingame. The game clears this text by drawing black over them, and if they are too long, it doesn't clear enough, so a part at the end remains. Could you test these on the ingame map screen, and shorten them if needed?

I did some research' date=' and from what I can see it's probably short for "terenowy", short for "all-terrain vehicle", right?

[/quote']

Yes, but i thought that there is a space limit so i cut the end of the word. :) So if is it possible extend "Teren." to "Terenowka".

Just out of curiosity' date=' what would be the full word for that "Kr."?

[/quote']

I belive S.S.M. is Surface-to-Surface Missle. Because "Rakiety Ziemia-Ziemia" looks awful i have transtalted it as "Wyrzutnia Krótkiego Zasięgu".

But when I looked it up' date=' it seems that it isn't an abbreviation at all, "Zwiad" just means "scout". I suppose the dot should be removed?[/quote']

If "Zwiadowczy" fits to the bracket the "Zwiad." might be removed. I just didn't know how much space i may use :)

I suppose this is accidental? None of the other track titles are translated.

Yes. :) I thought that "Air Strike" in this line is attack option for GDI :).

Edited by Traymen

Ah, sorry, didn't know you replied because it started a new page. I added some more remarks, so please look at my last post again :P

As far as Google Translate can tell me, "Wyrzutnia Krótkiego Zasięgu" means "short-range rocket". The SSM is the unit with the longest range in the entire game though :o

... oh nevermind, it refers to short range ballistic missiles... "1000 km or less". Well, if that's clear to Polish people, that'll do fine ^_^

As for unit names, they are only used for the popup labels you get when you hold your mouse over the unit, or its sidebar icon. So they can be as long as you want, really :)

At the end of the music tracks there, the string #635, "Blossom Tree" is NOT translated.

Blossom Tree - Kwitnące Drzewo. I belive it is enough good :)

The map text strings at 742-748 should be tested ingame. The game clears this text by drawing black over them, and if they are too long, it doesn't clear enough, so a part at the end remains. Could you test these on the ingame map screen, and shorten them if needed?

Yeah, tomorrow i should send You how does it look in-game.

Nice, nice :)

I removed some more abbreviations... the strings for "game settings", "sound controls" and "visual controls" have plenty of space for the full word. I suppose that should be "Ustawienia Gry", "Ustawienia Dźwięku" and "Ustawienia Wizualne"?

[edit]

Same for "music volume" and "sound volume". I just did a quick test ingame - as you see, the text aligns to the right, so it can be pretty long ;)

voluuuuuuuuuume.png

I replaced them with "Głośność muzyki:" and "Głośność dźwięków:". Please tell me if my Google Translations are incorrect though :P

[edit]

Replaced all country surface area data from square miles to the French data with KM2:)

[edit again]

For multiplayer, the "Tech level:" string is also abbreviated, to "Poziom Techn.:"

I tested ingame, and this string is also right-aligned, allowing me to perfectly replace it by a very long test string. Of course, in English this is also kinda shortened, so it's your choice whether you want to keep that one or give me the unabbreviated one. My google translate for "technology level" gave me the word "technologicznego" for the unabbreviated form, which does seem ridiculously long.

I suppose that should be "Ustawienia Gry", "Ustawienia Dźwięku" and "Ustawienia Wizualne"?

Just few more hours on Polish and You will read it perfectly :) Yes, it is just like as you written this ;p

I replaced them with "Głośność muzyki:" and "Głośność dźwięków:". Please tell me if my Google Translations are incorrect though :P

They are correct ;p

Replaced all country surface area data from square miles to the French data with KM2:)

I don't know how to write it in English so i'll write it in Polish - Niech Ci Bozia w dzieciach wynagrodzi :)

For multiplayer, the "Tech level:" string is also abbreviated, to "Poziom Techn.:"

So let it be "Poziom Technologiczny" ;p

My google translate for "technology level" gave me the word "technologicznego" for the unabbreviated form, which does seem ridiculously long.

Ridiculously? :P

Try to spell "Konstantynopolitańczykowianeczka" :)

The Google gave You preposition of "Technologia". But here more correct form is adjective "Technologiczny".