Sign in to follow this  
Luk3us

What happened?

First, they release a bunch of images, and a few vids showcasing Tiberium. They even make a semi funky website... Then...

Nothing...

For like 6 months or something stupid... Then that CM guy who didn't seem to do much left, and now its being delayed till possibly next year or later...

I mean, I realise that RA3 might impact on their sales. But following the typical EA development cycle, they would have realised this long ago? So I ask, why?

following the typical EA development cycle

Are you confusing 'typical' with 'theoretical'? Because it seems to me that EA is always late when it comes to C&C stuff (and that tradition is getting passed on into Tiberium).

You underestimate the sheer power of the Unreal Engine 3 Luk3us. EA have no less than 5 titles in development on this engine alone! It's an Engine that requires some respect on the programming front. Rush the development, and it'll run like a pig, be extremely buggy and end up biting the end consumer where it hurts on all but the highest systems (ie. Frontlines: Fuel of War). Get it just right however, and it can give the most beautiful, free flowing, game with the sharpest controls of any FPS ever developed (ie. Unreal Tournament 3). I have both the above games which use the Unreal technology, and the difference between the 1st and 3rd party titles is astonishing!

Naturally therefore, this game will take more time, but the end result will be extremely impressive. I've had a play with the level editor myself yesterday and it makes virtually every level editor ever created look crap. The sheer scope and versatility of that app alone is pretty friggin' amazing, it's a modders paradise! It's easy to see why the Renegade X team went with this engine, it is literally the best thing out there. No wonder really when you consider that within the next 3 years we will see no less than 30 titles ranging from FPS, to MMO's to racing games using this technology. All the main developers and publishers including Microsoft, THQ, Capcom, Sega, Sony, Gearbox, Rockstar, Square Enix, and Atari have all acquired the licenses to this engine for good reasons.

After all, if you have the world's most powerful games engine at your disposal, you're going to want to make the world's best games with it to do the engine justice. That's why it's taking time.

Yes, but they would have known this going in as I said. They would have originally planned this all through, and would have timed their release of information and their marketing campaign as such.

I'd like to know what happened to cause them to put the entire process back. Cause they wouldn't delay the game for any old arbitrary reason. So it must have been fairly important. The reason you put forward is development time, taking longer than expected is OK, but not to put the game back an entire year... So something must have happened.

First, they release a bunch of images, and a few vids showcasing Tiberium. They even make a semi funky website... Then...

Nothing...

Comand and Conquer General 2.... YEAH!

The team working on Tiberium are not the same as the RTS team at EALA, they maybe in the same building, in fact the same floor but they are completely separate. So whatever the next C&C RTS is it won't effect Tiberium's developement.