Sonic

Chris Corry Comments on RA3's Copy Protection

Spore didn't crash computers. There was a misinterpretation of the lawsuit that said such, but that isn't the true case.

I didn't say Spore crashes the computer, it's the DRM that causes it. That's why I'm worried if DRM will do it again if we install RA3. Spore got those "One Star" ratings badly, and I wish RA3 should not get that too. If they do, it'll be a laughing stock to the whole franchise & company, moreover, Blizzard fans will remember this as the "Funniest moment of the Century".

SecuROM has been known to cause havoc with Windows even long after the game it was installed with has been removed. One such example is the problem that causes Windows Explorer to crash every time you right click on an .EXE file or shortcut pointing to an EXE file. This had happened to my Vista desktop computer. I traced the problem back to Crysis (it was the only game installed at the time).

After Googling around for a solution I had to download a program called ShellExView. I had to disable part of SecuROM that was causing Windows Explorer to crash

secromexpbm3.png

So I guess this another part of this whole SecuROM/DRM issue. The SecuROM software does nothing but cause problems, and why should the end user have to resort to using other 3rd party programs to clean up the crap SecuROM does to your computer.

When I was at the Securom official website, what do you call this in their FAQs?

Is SecuROM™ harming my computer?

SecuROM™ does NOT damage a computer in any way. Great care has been taken to make sure our system is sound and compatible.

IT'S A LIE!!!

But even if we did have a solution such as ShellExView, Sonic, but we need something a lot more permanent. Do you remember the last time a game patch from Tiberium Wars causes the game unable to start? And then it was fixed by a registry tweak or something? That's a permanent patch or cure to the problem.

Ours right now on the other hand, are having temporary ones, we need permanent solutions so we no need to worry about Securom trying to crash our computers after for some time of usage. :(

Edited by Silverthorn

I recently installed Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones, and it includes some kind of copy protection. The next time I started the computer, it wouldn't boot. I had to go into linux and delete the copy protection to make it boot. Really annoying!