Sign in to follow this  
Roadkill

C&C infantry size

There is a patch for Red Alert made by Nyerguds that make RA infantry "normal" size like the infantry from Tiberian Dawn.

So, has anyone tried to make the patch that makes TD infantry "oversized" like in the RA? I tried some time ago but had got stuck because of commando needed proper resizing, and I couldn't make him look good.

Edited by Roadkill

Ah, I've done that once for a few TD units I ported to RA for a mod that used oversized infantry for everything else too. Let's see if I can still find the scale file I used...

[edit]

Ah here's the image...

resize.gif

Crop infantry to the size of the inner frame then resize back to the size of the outer frame (whih should be the normal frame size of the infantry at the beginning). Use pixel resize, without any smoothing.

I wonder if RAD tools can be used for a job like this...

[edit]

RAD tools failed, but I did manage to enlarge E1.

This version is fixed manually afterwards, frame by frame, to look better. IMO it's still fugly ingame though.

...why the hell can't I attach SHP, MIX or RAR files on this forum? :rolleyes:

E1.zip

Edited by Nyerguds

I tried to do this by OS SHP Builder (with the help of XCC mixer since SHP Builder corrupts TD shp files after saving) but some pixels just didn't resize right compared to the RA sprites.

e1.jpg

looks like RA sprites are also fixed manually :mellow:

offtop: Nyerguds, you are TD guru, right? Maybe you know if there is a way to hack the scanlines out of the C&C95 videos? :unsure:

The scanlines? Not as far as I know. You have to keep in ming it's not a matter of "removing black lines" but of "making the game stretch the vids both horizontally AND vertically". I've seen some WSA drawing funtions in C&C, and it all seems pretty complicated. The onl things in the game that are stretched without these lins are CPS images, like the "Coming Attraction" screen. The Nod end seletion one does have scanlines though... I might look into the difference in drawing methods used there.

Also I noticed that in RA95 intermission map, that is 320x200 wsa, doesn't have scanlines. Or maybe RA has different wsa drawing functions?

on the topic, what util is good for the TD shp editing? OS SHP builder has some glitches with TD shp saving.

XCC to convert to frames, and then some palette-supporting editor for actual editing? I use PSP3. Old app, but has exactly the functionality I want.

I generally use command line tools to convert SHPs to one big PCX or PNG image though; it's way easier to edit, especially with infantry.

I'd give you Ultraq's great command line utilities pack, but it seems the only place it was hosted is the now-defunct C&C Techcenter forum.

You can still get the old Mix Manager tools at the remains of the old CCFilezone site though:

http://www.geocities.com/ccfzcc_2/edit/ (mman351.zip)

[edit]

I emailed Ultraq, and apparently he uploaded them here :)

http://www.ultraq.net.nz/RedHorizon/Downlo...ies_dev028a.zip

Also I noticed that in RA95 intermission map, that is 320x200 wsa, doesn't have scanlines. Or maybe RA has different wsa drawing functions?

You're right.. the RA mission selection map also does a full stretch... which honestly looks better. I might be able to implement that by copying the way the "Coming Attraction" screens are displayed... oddly enough, WSA drawing isn't actually one general function, it really just shows a loop that retrieves and draws the next frame each time.

VQA is a completely different matter though...

Edited by Nyerguds