Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

C&C 4 Tiberian Twilight Interview: Mike Glosecki

UGDB.com (Universal Gaming Database) have a new interview with Command & Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight Senior Producer, Mike Glosecki. It covers a lot of what already know but still worth reading if you need to catch up on everything about the new game. Here are two questions.

UGDB: We already know that for the first time in 15 years (since the 1995 release of the first game), there will be no more tiberium harvesting in Command & Conquer. Why did you get that decision and is there any replacement of that vital resource?

Mike Glosecki: One of the main reasons we did that is because there is lot of different mechanics going on now and having the harvesting as well was a little more complicated than we wanted. We also wanted to evolve and change the way our games were working and the harvesting mechanic has been here for a while. So, as game designers we don’t always just want to say “Here is a new story and new graphics”, we want to change things – it is really my job to do that. It’s my job to also listen to you guys and take your feedback on those changes too. We want to make games that you guys all want to play… We want to make sure that you will play our games for years, and years and years, and not moving on to something else.

UGDB: The interface of Command & Conquer is one of the key elements of the series since the beginning in 1995. Are there going to be some interface differences in this instalment of the series?

Mike Glosecki: Yes, there are some differences… In Command & Conquer 4 the talking heads are now playing outside of the minimap. The reason for that was because we always had them and they were saying something like “You need to get to objective “A”!”. “I can’t get to objective “A” because your head is on top of it” – so we moved it… Especially in our game – we have a lot of objective “A”.

Another thing is that now you can see the groups over the right edge of the screen [with icons]. So, it’s no longer needed to remember all these numbers. This is actually something that we did on the console versions of the games 4 years ago.

The edge of the world is now different - we no longer have the big black wall there now, but instead there are some environments, structures, etc.

Click here for the full interview.

..There is a few new details in this interview.

As I see it, Mike just revealed that there will be a 3rd faction, maybe even 4th :

"GDI and NOD are the factions that I can talk right now. But as far as any others, we will be talking about them maybe at a later point. ”

and about this GDI unit:

"GDI has a really strange new unit called Pulverizer – it’s actually artillery which fires into the ground, the shell travels underground and comes up underneath enemy units. It’s a really interesting unit, because it’s hard to tell where the attackers come from, so you should look around for these guys. ”

the new and best news is regarding interface and map changes:

MG: Yes, there are some differences… In Command & Conquer 4 the talking heads are now playing outside of the minimap. The reason for that was because we always had them and they were saying something like “You need to get to objective “A”!”. “I can’t get to objective “A” because your head is on top of it” – so we moved it… Especially in our game – we have a lot of objective “A”.

Another thing is that now you can see the groups over the right edge of the screen [with icons]. So, it’s no longer needed to remember all these numbers. This is actually something that we did on the console versions of the games 4 years ago.

The edge of the world is now different - we no longer have the big black wall there now, but instead there are some environments, structures, etc.

Edited by Johnnyxp64

There is some new (good) news, but most of informations from this interview are old, something we already knew even before the commandcom. Is this means that EALA sticking to the original plan in development of C&C4 without taking in consideration all feedback they received at commandcom? :o

PS

Husks are left behind when a large unit is killed, and if you remember Mammoth Tanks dying in Command & Conquer 3 – it’s the same type of play.

Really? I didn't know that. :P Maybe Mike need to check again C&C3 and to see that juggernaut/avatar/tripod leaves a husk, not a mammoth tank.

Edited by mirza044

PS

Really? I didn't know that. :P Maybe Mike need to check again C&C3 and to see that juggernaut/avatar/tripod leaves a husk, not a mammoth tank.

lol you are so right! whould i be considering "flaming" if i say that once again we see the wrong people in the wrong places??? (probably)

how can a man that doesnt know the game and its mechanics take the right choice to create a new one? :thumbsdown:

they are keep repeating that he was a beta tester in Dune 2.... so what???? was he the only one? beta tester in ONE rts 15 years old are becoming Game Producers (or whete ever they call them) now?

thinking that way every PRO player in CnC 3 should become a Boss in the EALA team....

i am not say that he is bad in his position, but dude when you are taking a role that big like producer(and most of the fans never heard of you before), at least sit down and LEARN the damn basics of what you are building and then start giving interviews, if the community finds out that you luck in knowledge of major and detailed facts about the game that you are responsible, no matter how many degrees you have how many games you made in the past, people will loose faith in you and the game eventually. :(

to be honest even Mike Verdu in all his interviews appeared not know 100% what was going on but at least he was more prepared for interviews. ;-)

man i know so "well" Apoc or 2Poc and their work and i know that they understand so much more than others in higher position, its a shame that for example why not APOC been the Executive Producer? at least he knows about the units in cnc and its universe better than "big Mike", after all.

Edited by Johnnyxp64

to be honest even Mike Verdu in all his interviews appeared not know 100% what was going on but at least he was more prepared for interviews. ;-)

man i know so "well" Apoc or 2Poc and their work and i know that they understand so much more than others in higher position, its a shame that for example why not APOC been the Executive Producer? at least he knows about the units in cnc and its universe better than "big Mike", after all.

I agree.

Next what we going to hear from EALA is probably something like: "that is just a small lapsus made by producer", but now I'm convinced that Mike only knows a small detail about previous C&C games.

PS

somebody on cncden comments section posted a new "lapsus" from Mike:

GDI has a really strange new unit called Pulverizer - it’s actually artillery which fires into the ground, the shell travels underground and comes up underneath enemy units.

Last info about pulverizer was that is a new Nod artillery unit, now it's a GDI unit? :huh:

Edited by mirza044