Kloppstock

(Old) "save name" turning them back to their just "save names"

This topic concerns C&C original, i just wanna mark that first

I have experimenting with those unofficial patches to "C&C The last decade"

I have noticed no difficulties with changes how the game handles save game in C&C original when i updated EA's officially patch 1.02 to "tfd-103-rev2"

but now i was in need to solve a "C&C Generals" issue so i tested to update to "tfd-103-rev4"(a version that is hard to find on internet)

But since i updated whole "last decade" my C&C original saves from several years back actually...that have survived every patching til now obviously.

But now these saves have IN-GAME only written an add to them-self

that states "old" in text, this line is placed before whatever filename i have named that save in the past

In-game this "old" saves cannot be loaded, generate this error message "obsolete saved game"

However if checking inside my C&C folder i can see no traces of this "old" added line in my saves there.

But that could therefore also suggest to me that its only in "First decade's" global installation that have receives a problem to relate to

the saves after i updated to Rev4 patch.

Now i have tested uninstalling entire "First decade" and reinstalling.

This time i off course only installed official C&C patch, then Rev2 on-top of it the way it worked just before the corruption.

But my saves are still considered "old" by the in-game judge unfortunately.

So anybody know if i can convert back this saves to their original state, if that is controlled from some other C&C file in the folder i need to replace?

Do i perhaps need to delete the entire C&C folder? and just save the saves and then reinstall? this still feels like a risky operation

Kloppstock is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

Hello? (since i know that i write pretty strange somehow, i wanna make sure you understand what the hell im talking about lol :)) can i get some kind of confirmation

Just to recap: Your Tiberian Dawn savegames can't be loaded anymore after updating from 1.03rev2 to 1.03rev4.

As long as you didn't create the savegames using the DOS version and tried to load them with the Windows version or vice versa, it should work after reinstalling the game.

You are using the Red Alert icon for this thread. Did you mean Red Alert? I know the error message you mentioned from RA. The text "(Old)" is prepended automatically by the game (just like (Allied) and (Soviet)). The game cannot read them any more because it can only read savegames created with the same game version. I could not find just the changelog of 1.03rev4 to see what was changed since 1.03rev2. Maybe the 3.03 beta patch was added between these releases, I don't know. If there's a new "4 Player Internet" logo on the lower right hand side of the main menu that wasn't there before, it is 3.03. This would explain why the savegames don't work. In that case, reinstalling with rev2 and backing up the RA folder before applying rev4 should fix your problem. Just run RA from the backed up folder.

Just to recap: Your Tiberian Dawn savegames can't be loaded anymore after updating from 1.03rev2 to 1.03rev4.

As long as you didn't create the savegames using the DOS version and tried to load them with the Windows version or vice versa, it should work after reinstalling the game.

You are using the Red Alert icon for this thread. Did you mean Red Alert? I know the error message you mentioned from RA. The text "(Old)" is prepended automatically by the game (just like (Allied) and (Soviet)). The game cannot read them any more because it can only read savegames created with the same game version. I could not find just the changelog of 1.03rev4 to see what was changed since 1.03rev2.

Damn attention disorder makes me auto think wrong patterns when it's least expected - you're elected. You're the star today Smile! You're on Candid Camera!

With a hocus-pocus - you're in focus! SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!

...i do mean this topic was for Red Alert original!

Maybe the 3.03 beta patch was added between these releases, I don't know. If there's a new "4 Player Internet" logo on the lower right hand side of the main menu that wasn't there before, it is 3.03. This would explain why the savegames don't work. In that case, reinstalling with rev2 and backing up the RA folder before applying rev4 should fix your problem. Just run RA from the backed up folder.

I have tested to reinstall, but i didn't kill the old folder of the entire "First decade" folder when i did it this time, and if thats not enough to do when i retry now i guess there is a risk that registry files are in hide on C:/ also? that must be removed?

I recall i were given some kind of multi-player attachment after rebooting after patch installation, i said no...so that would stil explain why i ingame dont find "4 Player Internet" however i find that the singleplayer is splitted up into "counterstrike" and "aftermath missions" and isnt that suggesting that my old save games cant relate to that, in any case you talk about backup...do you mean create a backup of the current red alert folder, but that is already plagued with rev 4, i would understand if you talked about i should bring forth a backup of the Red alert folder before i applied rev4 in the first place?

This re installation i did before starting this topic included me moving out all files from C&C folder to move back ontop of new installation, and perhaps that is a problem? all those files are perm plagued EXCLUDED the saves, so i should only move them back onto the new installation

just a taut?

The split up of New Missions into Counterstrike Missions and Aftermath Missions indicate you are running 3.03, which can't read savegames from previous versions.

If you copied all files (including all exe files) over the new installation, you also got 3.03 back. The only files needed for backup are SAVEGAME.*, REDALERT.INI and HALLFAME.DAT.

Kloppstock, I replied to your topic on the cncworld forum, and pointed you to the RA 3.03 savegames pack.

The split up of New Missions into Counterstrike Missions and Aftermath Missions indicate you are running 3.03, which can't read savegames from previous versions.

If you copied all files (including all exe files) over the new installation, you also got 3.03 back. The only files needed for backup are SAVEGAME.*, REDALERT.INI and HALLFAME.DAT.

Kloppstock, I replied to your topic on the cncworld forum, and pointed you to the RA 3.03 savegames pack.

I can now conclude that rev2 is also a problem for my saves, as soon as its removed "old" dissapear and i have my saves back as i wanted to have em

that is odd since i know that i have saved with rev2 before and successfully getting along with my officiallypatched saves

Anyone have a natural explanation to this mystery? since i actually wanna have rev2 back at least :(

Edited by Kloppstock

Yes. As I said, the RA v3.03 patch does that. It's an official patch which was never officially released, so it wasn't in TFD originally, but the unofficial 1.03 patch adds it.

I don't see how your savegames can be so incredibly important though... just replay the missions already.

Yes. As I said, the RA v3.03 patch does that. It's an official patch which was never officially released, so it wasn't in TFD originally, but the unofficial 1.03 patch adds it.

I don't see how your savegames can be so incredibly important though... just replay the missions already.

Dont worry i just dont patch it with rev2 this play-through of aftermath

thanks for the guide